What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Andair pump troubles

RV6-KPTW

Well Known Member
Hi,

I have the std pump installed and am now facing my second issue. Late 2020 at about 75 hours, I was getting low pressure and lots of noise out of the pump. Sent it back to England and 2 months later, got it back. Here we are 6 months later and now it just beeps. No pump action at all - very quiet (serene but not good). Didn’t know it beeps...what it definitely does not do is pump fuel.

Anyway, yes, I can probably send it back (to England, again), or buy a new one... or what? What else has anyone contemplated doing instead of the Andair?

Looking for ideas that will reduce turn-around time for failures, and maybe ease future maintenance

Thanks

I ran into a very similar situation to yours ... and have two dead Andair pumps in the stuff bin to show for it.

I retrofitted with an Airflow Performance pump. It's a bit of a tight fit under the doghouse, but it's been working great since.

The AS/TS Flightlines retrofit kit for the Airflow Performance pump is the way to go if you don't want to try the Andair again. I have been running the AFP mod and it mounts in the kit bracket holes and plumbs up perfectly with their hoses. You can use an inline filter like the stock setup or the wing root dual setup they sell. I have run it both ways and they both work great.

I like the AFP pump concept and particularly, the domestic supplier aspect. I think I can do this in stages - install the AFP pump with in line filter, then address wing root filters down the road.

My current install is powered thru an ACM on a 5 amp breaker. How have you guys powered the AFP pump?

Tom - I pm’d you to see if there was a fire sale on your pump (plan b).

Thanks for the input.

... Here we are 6 months later and now it just beeps. No pump action at all - very quiet (serene but not good). Didn’t know it beeps...what it definitely does not do is pump fuel.

I didn't either - are you sure it's the pump beeping? Did it ever work? Perhaps it needs a prime or a little nudge?

To the OP: What part number is your pump? i.e. PX375-TC#?

I see you're serial number is relatively close to mine and am curious how many hours has it been flying since rebuild, how long it sat, etc.

I've recently started flying and (so far) haven't had any issues.

Last edited:
I tested both pumps prior to flight and both pumps made pump noise and moved fuel at spec quantities.

I originally had the 3 at and returned for performance issues at 75 hours and upgraded to 7 at the same time This time the pump failed at 95 total hours. The plate indicates “XP375-TC #7 Upgrade”. It has changed from pump noise to a beeping noise, but more importantly, it does not move fuel.

Re the beeping, yes, I think, it is the pump. There is nothing in that area of the structure but the pump and wire bundles. Be nice if that beep was an indicator to do something. I have several emails into Andair with no response. Based on my experience in the last service episode, getting a response via email is very difficult and irritates me enough to go somewhere else.

The beep, to me, indicates to do something different.

I tested both pumps prior to flight and both pumps made pump noise and moved fuel at spec quantities.

I originally had the 3 at and returned for performance issues at 75 hours and upgraded to 7 at the same time This time the pump failed at 95 total hours. The plate indicates “XP375-TC #7 Upgrade”. It has changed from pump noise to a beeping noise, but more importantly, it does not move fuel.

Re the beeping, yes, I think, it is the pump. There is nothing in that area of the structure but the pump and wire bundles. Be nice if that beep was an indicator to do something. I have several emails into Andair with no response. Based on my experience in the last service episode, getting a response via email is very difficult and irritates me enough to go somewhere else.

Thanks for the info, Dennis. Not giving me a warm, fuzzy feeling about my fuel pump, but I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed and keep listing for unusual sounds.

I suggest calling Andair. They have been very responsive and cordial with me by phone.

Also, I returned my pump to them for the rev. 7 upgrade - in and out of their shop in 1 week.

Last edited:
Their pump comes with some oil inside and they recommend to keep it that way until close to installation. They also recommend not operate their valve dry too much as the fuel acts as lubricant.

I have an Airflow Performance pump in my RV8- blew a fuse at 400 hours; new fuse didn't fix, so installed a new pump. During those 400 hours, switched tanks every 15 minutes, turning on pump before changing tanks, leaving it on for 10 seconds. Changing my procedures- switch tank without turning on pump. I have the Andair fuel selector- it's bulletproof, not sure they have the secret sauce for fuel pumps based on a friend's experience; smaller isn't always better. Not responding to requests and poor turnaround time on fixing things is not a good sign.

Last edited:

The pump I received from Van's is the "#7" model. Does anyone know if the new #7 models are having issues as well or is it mainly previous models or models that have been "upgraded"

I agree that their service has a bit to be desired. I had an order with them for over a month and when I finally called them, they said "we'll get it out to you this week"

Seems like email communication and virtual webstores are not their strong suit.

EFII

I installed the Andair pump during my build. It made so much noise no way was I going to fly with it. It wouldn’t have needed a “Pump On” lite.
Returned it and bought the EFII boost pump. Quiet and simple. It has the bypass route built in. Bout 700 hours in 4 years and going strong. I do have a Boost Pump On lite on my panel for this one.

I decided to take the domestic route with AFP today. Things do fail... no getting around that but I have significantly shortened my supply chain for this item. I ordered online and already received a shipment notice.

Oh, and they answered an email from this morning (from this MORNING!!!).

If you're looking for a backup Andair pump

I have an Andair fuel pump & filter that I'll sell if anybody wants a spare. I updated my RV-14 to TS Flightlines dual wing root fuel filters and the AFP fuel pump mod and don't need the Andair pump/filter anymore. My RV-14 only had about 125TT when I removed Andair unit. Works perfectly. Dan N58TV

Back