What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Plane power alternator over charge

Bilzweet

I'm New Here
I’ve got a standard RV14 with Full G3x and BC standby alternator.
Today had a warning because for no apparent reason alternator suddenly spiked 60 plus amps output. I switched to standby and it was running a normal output of about 14 amps then flipped back to main alternator again and all was normal and ok. Can anyone shed a clue as to what this warning and overcharge might have been all about.... or was it just a software hiccup? Thanks !

I had the same issue several weeks ago. The alternator/voltage regulator checked out ok. I replaced the cheap (Tyco) breaker switch I was using for my field switch with a standard (non breaker) switch and rewired it to my fuse block and I also re-tightened every ground on the airplane. The problem has not returned......yet. I think it was noise created by the cheap field breaker switch or a bad ground. FYI, I also downloaded my data file to Savvy Analysis and reviewed the flight data and the voltage did not fluctuate at all during the amp spike so this assured me it was a gauge issue.

Last edited:
VR senses bus voltage and outputs more the further below the voltage setpoint the bus gets. Resistance on the sense circuit causes the VR to see a lower voltage and cranks up the output.

From my readings here, many with the PP alternator experience issues with the three prong connector failing and can easily pull the wires out of the pins. Suggest you start there. I believe one of those three wires is the voltage sense circuit.

Larry

Where, What, When, How?

A 60A indication is perfectly normal on a system with a LiFePO battery (e.g. Earthx ETX-680, -900) right after starting -- the battery will suck down every bit of 60+ AMPS while it's charging...
A broken/loose sense wire @ the shunt will also give erroneous results and trip alarms...

Yes, on the PP alternator with three pin connector there is a jumper from the Field wire to the Sense input.

Another item - If you are installing a PP alternator with their wiring kit, make sure to put a dab of RTV, epoxy, or some other means of attaching the wire to the connector. There is supposed to be a rubber environmental seal/vibration damper, but Plane Power doesn't include them -- buy replacement connectors from https://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/product_info.php/products_id/1704

Waiting for more info!

Last edited:
Plane power alternator connector link

<<< buy replacement connectors from https://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/product_info.php/products_id/1704 >>>

Brian -- I am finally wiring my project, with a Plane Power 99-1012 alternator purchased 2 years back, only to find I had lost the field connector plug. I called Hartzell service -- no person, but I left voicemail with parts/service (which was not returned). I Emailed plane power service, and got a prompt but one line reply "you need to contact the factory" with no contacts or numbers. I responded back with "what factory, i thought YOU were the factory". To that, I got a response of "Hartzell". (the circle is unbroken)

So.. your link for the connector was timely and much appreciated!!!!

Ted

<<< buy replacement connectors from https://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/product_info.php/products_id/1704 >>>

Brian -- I am finally wiring my project, with a Plane Power 99-1012 alternator purchased 2 years back, only to find I had lost the field connector plug. I called Hartzell service -- no person, but I left voicemail with parts/service (which was not returned). I Emailed plane power service, and got a prompt but one line reply "you need to contact the factory" with no contacts or numbers. I responded back with "what factory, i thought YOU were the factory". To that, I got a response of "Hartzell". (the circle is unbroken)

So.. your link for the connector was timely and much appreciated!!!!

Ted

Ted, look at this thread. You will want to pot or otherwise secure the wires in the connector from vibration. Required reading. Eventually you will find parts and links for the terminals, and strain relief plugs.

Back