What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Getting Silicone where you want it

Randy

Well Known Member
Has anyone got any tips to share regarding getting high temp silicone in places that are difficult to access with the standard little tubes and nozzle that you cut?

I am looking for something available to extend the nozzle out so I can apply the stuff in areas that the normal short tube will simply not reach. I am hoping there might be some extended screw on nozzles available somewhere...

Randall in Sedona
Finishing up baffles and nearly ready to seal them to the engine.

I have heard that some guys get those big syringes from a tractor supply store. That gets it in place, but you still need to finish the fillet with something. To me, it also wastes a lot of sealant left in the tube.

I just took one of those big popsicle sticks that I use for mixing fiberglass resin and broke it in half lengthwise so it was maybe 3/8 inch wide.
I made a nice rounded end on it and squirted the permatex on the end of the stick. Then I smeared the sealant down on the engine and baffe intersection in the hard to reach areas.

It came out reasonably well. I went slowly and did not overdo the sealant. If you don't put too much on and have a steady hand, it looks just fine.

Some areas you have to build up in layers.

I've used plastic tubing to extend the reach occasionally. I also use a lot of masking tape to keep the stuff off the parts where I don't want it.

Loctite 598 aerosol

I used Loctite 598 in the aerosol cartridge and added a piece of scrap 1/4 tubing with a flared end. This gave me a long skinny tube to get in just about anywhere.

I used the same Semco sealant gun and 2.5 tube that I used for Proseal. I left the RTV in the tube with a plug in the tip and it's still fresh after a month.

I used Loctite 598 in the aerosol cartridge and added a piece of scrap 1/4 tubing with a flared end. This gave me a long skinny tube to get in just about anywhere.

.....and the gray-black color looks so much better than orange high-temp, even if you put it on ugly!

Straw

Just grab the straw from your latest soft drink, cram it on the tip of your RTV and you have a trimable flexible installation tool.

Gary

Thanks for the replies!

I did not know the Loctite 598 was available in an aerosol dispensor. This sounds like a great way as you can then concentrate on where it is going rather than squeezing the darn tube to get the stuff to go to flow. Now to try to find some... Home Depot?

Randall

Found it at Jegs also for $20 plus change but free shipping so probably a little cheaper overall.

I like doing business with Jegs at avoid Amazon like the plague:)

Randall

Does the aerosol package allow the sealant to cure in the exit, thus wasting unused contents? I hate it when that happens with a 300ml caulking gun tube.

Loctite 598 aerosol

Just leave about 1/8 at the tip. It will cure and you can just pull it lose and the rest of the can is still good. I don't know how long it remains good, but after a week or so it was still good. I used less than one cartridge for the whole engine. I even used it to do the Dan H. trick with fiberglass cloth and sealant to make a nice protective barrier on the cylinder baffles. Good stuff.

Can you post a link or expand the idea on the "Dan H" trick on using fiberglass cloth with silicone to put on the cylinder baffles?
Thanks!

Can you post a link or expand the idea on the "Dan H" trick on using fiberglass cloth with silicone to put on the cylinder baffles?
Thanks!

I see you recently joined VAF, so you probably missed the DanH posts on this subject. I will add a link in edit, but you have two ways to search VAF. One is to use the google search "site:vansairforce.com DanH +wrap " and make it an image search, or use the advanced search function on this site. It is a different and a good about 20% of the time for me.

You will be amazed at the image results.

edit: ok, this surprises me - in the search the thumbnails show the wraps, but Dan's links don't work anymore and the pictures don't show in the posts.

here is the individual post: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=330315&postcount=33
2zxur5v.jpg

Welcome !

Last edited:
edit: ok, this surprises me - in the search the thumbnails show the wraps, but Dan's links don't work anymore and the pictures don't show in the posts.

Old photos were hosted at Imageshack or TinyPic. I'm slowly (very slowly) moving them to Photobucket and reposting here. Let me know when you see something that needs it.

Just fixed the photos in the link above.

Does the aerosol package allow the sealant to cure in the exit, thus wasting unused contents? I hate it when that happens with a 300ml caulking gun tube.

I've been able to pry it free with a small metal rod (1/16") and have been using the same can for 6 months now. It does setup in the tube no matter how you try and seal it.

I found the cans at NAPA locally.

Thanks DanH, it would be great if the images on that post were updated.
BillL thanks for the tips, I'll have to use google search more often. I looked(searched) for DanH's posts when I was originally looking for it but didn't work. Again, I'll use GOOGLE more often.

Dan,
About the FG wraps, do they cover the same areas covered by the metal baffles or do the cover a little more?

Glenn Wilkinson

Back