Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-25-2021, 08:43 AM

Default DA42 killer

What about a 4 place twin?

The DA42 is pretty cool and I know Van's could do it better and for 1/2 the price. Twin IO-390's with an option for turbo Jet-A engines. Could use the RV10 fuselage to save time/cost....new wings and turn the 10 engine compartment into a frunk.

Nothing else remotely like that on the experimental market. I have to think all the people flying Baron's and twin Cessna's are ready to get something made this century.

Like everything else....easy to say, I'm sure super hard to do.

Merry Christmas!
RV12is #121441
Wing Kit received 7/11/22
Currently flying C-172M, 180hp Airplains
Dues paid 12/21
Old 12-25-2021, 09:51 AM

Default a thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTG1996 View Post

The DA42 is pretty cool and I know Van's could do it better and for 1/2 the price. Twin IO-390's with an option for turbo Jet-A engines. Could use the RV10 fuselage to save time/cost....new wings and turn the 10 engine compartment into a frunk.

Nothing else remotely like that on the experimental market. I have to think all the people flying Baron's and twin Cessna's are ready to get something made this century.

Merry Christmas!
The only twin I would even consider is a push pull twin like a Cessna Skymaster. And only because it could be put on floats. A twin on floats would be unique and corner the market.

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2022, worth every penny

RV9A- Status:
98% done, 2% left to go
Structure done (less gear)
Electrical/Panel done
Firewall Forward 95% done less baffles and airbox
Fiberglass 95%
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com
Old 12-25-2021, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTG1996 View Post

Merry Christmas!
I've been dreaming of a 4-place twin with conventional landing gear and retractable mains, counterrotating props, potentially with UL Power engines:
https://ulpower.com/en/engines/ul520/ul520isrr

The "what the **** is that" notion of ramp appeal would be well-checked. As tandem RVs are to WWII fighters, this concept would be to early light bombers.

I don't think the market would support a kit of this type, but it could be a cool one-off or plans-built.
Old 12-30-2021, 06:34 PM

Radial powered 3.... With gull wings
Old 12-30-2021, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamj View Post
I've been dreaming of a 4-place twin with conventional landing gear and retractable mains, counterrotating props, potentially with UL Power engines:
https://ulpower.com/en/engines/ul520/ul520isrr

The "what the **** is that" notion of ramp appeal would be well-checked. As tandem RVs are to WWII fighters, this concept would be to early light bombers.

I don't think the market would support a kit of this type, but it could be a cool one-off or plans-built.
That would be a great plane! Beech 18, but with flat engines (UL520, -360, -390) It would be very expensive. If RV10s are 250k, this would be 400k. Big rudders for docile engine-out handling and needs good engine-out climb performance too.
Fuselage assembly, it's a riveting job!
Dash 8 day job is financing the RV8
Donation till September 2022
Old 08-02-2022, 09:59 PM

Default RV-16 Update at OSH '22?

Amid all the discussion at Osh about the RV-15, was there any mention of the RV-16? I thought there would be a chance the 15 and 16 would be related such that the reveal of one would reveal hints of the other.
Old 08-03-2022, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyNSoCal View Post
Amid all the discussion at Osh about the RV-15, was there any mention of the RV-16? I thought there would be a chance the 15 and 16 would be related such that the reveal of one would reveal hints of the other.
Rian answered a question during one of the forums if the Rv-15 would be the only high wing Vans would design and he said no.
Currently flying N1235D - Cessna 170A
Old 08-03-2022, 06:54 AM

Default Osh 2021

Last year Vans announced there will be a RV16 high wing, but the emphasis is on the 15 first.
So I am hoping that development is outlined in the next few months. I would like to see which is better for my mission before I commit to the 15.

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2022, worth every penny

RV9A- Status:
98% done, 2% left to go
Structure done (less gear)
Electrical/Panel done
Firewall Forward 95% done less baffles and airbox
Fiberglass 95%
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com