Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 05-04-2022, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillL View Post
The piston crown is typically the hottest part of the piston (duh) this means that the top ring gap increases more than the second when running.
Could you elaborate on this for me? I have always been under the impression that the hotter the piston gets, the tighter/smaller the compression ring gap will become. Every tech sheet that I have seen from piston / ring manufacturers has large print warnings with a chart showing recommended ring gaps for normally aspirated and various different boost levels and nitrous shots. Greater boost (i.e. more heat) always came with larger gaps to keep from breaking lands as the gaps shrunk during running.

Larry
Old 05-04-2022, 10:28 AM

That one stumped me too. I assumed he meant decreased gap with heat. I would like to understand if I was wrong all these years.
Catto three blade prop
http://www.mykitlog.com/MarkW
Old 05-04-2022, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill.hutchison View Post
So this thread has made me nervous.

Like the poster in #13, I have an ECI Titan motor from America's Aircraft Engines.

I am trying to figure out if this A/D is applicable, because my motor was built in November of 2007.

Right in the beginning of the A/D, it says, "If your engine has not been overhauled, or not had any cylinder assemblies replaced since new, no further action is required."

I know that my engine has NOT been overhauled or had cylinders replaced since it was new. Am I overthinking this, since I know I have ECI nickel cylinders from the years this was a problem?
Bit confusing but I think the statement assumes a new genuine Lycoming engine with genuine Lycoming cylinders. Regardless you need to check if your individual ECI cylinder serial numbers are listed in the AD. (AD 2009-26-12)

I had group A cylinders that were OK till about 1,100 hrs when the rings were found to be delaminating (ECI S.I. No 06-6)

Fin 9A.

Last edited by Finley Atherton : 05-04-2022 at 12:24 PM.