Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-9/9A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2022, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs14855 View Post
The statement in post #7 of 400 degrees or higher for break in is exactly the opposite of established procedure. While slight momentary excursions above 400 will probably not glaze cylinders, it is good to stay below 400 by reducing power and increasing airspeed.
Please locate and carefully study the Mahlon Russel procedures for ground runs and proper break in.
Sorry for the hijack on this thread. I may well be confused about this, my builder wasn't concerned about the higher CHTs during break in. It may not have been trying to get those temperatures up. We definitely maintained high power settings for break in. CHTs getting more into normal ranges was a key indication that break in was progressing. We didn't do any pattern/circuit work until the 4th flight to avoid the low power range as much as possible. CHTs were significantly better by the time we got to that flight.
RV-9A #91081, C-GCPT
Dynon SkyView HDX, IO-320 and WW 200RV C/S. Flying as of August 6, 2018

Added GPS 175 and authorized for IFR April 1, 2021

Interactive map of all of my flights here
Old 04-20-2022, 04:54 AM

The engine break in debate is very interesting but in my case, my first flight involved a rebuilt engine with 75 hrs on it.
First Flight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqgxhWH3pqA
Dues Paid
Old 04-23-2022, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironflight View Post
Hey Fred,

Congratulations on getting close! Its the culmination of a lot of work for anyone to finish an airplane, and asking good questions is the right thing - and what you;re doing.

Iíd suggest, however, that you might take a look at the EAA Flight Advisor program- it is designed specifically to help you address your readiness for Phase 1, and to answer questions like yours. There doesnít even have to be someone close by - I do as many FA sessions on Zoom, email, and phone as I do in person. The program is free, and has a lot of very experienced, very high quality people involved. There are a lot fewer FAís than Tech Counselors, but what we lack in quantity, we make up for in Quality! (And yes, there is a lot of cross-ver between FAís and TCís - we want top help folks out!)

Donít fly until youíre happy that you can do so with your questions answered - youíl be much more relaxed when you do.

Paul
Paul,

Thanks for the guidance. I have recently been taking some flight instruction to bring me back up to speed and have someone who is an ATP/CFI with MANY hours in various RV's who is assisting me as a qualified APP for the initial flights. Just don't want to take unnecessary risks. From the majority of NTSB reports I've read, it seems that fuel starvation is the biggest problem. Planning an engine start today so if it runs all I should need to do is make sure there is fuel in the tanks every time I go fly!
Frederic.magare "at" gmail.com
RV-9A N469MT
Old 04-24-2022, 05:25 AM

Fred,

I recently completed the first flight on my RV4. I was concerned about high CHTs on a new engine. Following the advice of a member on this site, I towed the aircraft to the end of the runway. Started the engine there and after a thorough before take off check, launched. Kept the airspeed high during the climb and the CHTs were not a factor. I was able to concentrate on flying the aircraft, not constantly checking for high temperatures.
The only surprise I had was during the landing. Iíve never flown a constant speed prop before. When you pull the power back in the flare, the airplane slows down a lot quicker than anticipated. Iíve learned to ease the power off a lot slower.
Enjoy your first flight. RVs are a blast to fly!

Cheers, Tom
Old 04-24-2022, 05:24 PM

Default Trim reversed and slight right wing heavy

Easy one first…slight right wing heavy. Easily adjusted long term with flap rigging, which it might have been all along….three turns is all it took. Easily trimmed out even at its worst.

The harder one…too many years of RC flying resulted in reversed elevator trim. I’m glad I had a pro do the first flight. Bottom line - the trim tab flies the elevator, not the a/c. But that full deviation trim takes some force to manage. The video is interesting, with the test pilot using both sticks at one point.

It took about seven flights to address static pressure to nail the IAS within acceptable limits (+/- 2 kts in my case, in reality is much closer). The nature of the variation was proportional with speed. At Vso/Vs1 I was (luckily) right there, based on three ways at +3kts. Ruder only on the three ways at those speeds. Hangs tight though, much more solid than a Warrior in all axis.

Past that, it was managing new engine CHT while putting power through it.

Fly more, worry less.
2011-2021 VAF contributor

Last edited by rjcthree : 04-24-2022 at 05:26 PM.
Old 04-25-2022, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcthree View Post
The harder oneÖtoo many years of RC flying resulted in reversed elevator trim. Iím glad I had a pro do the first flight. Bottom line - the trim tab flies the elevator, not the a/c. But that full deviation trim takes some force to manage. The video is interesting, with the test pilot using both sticks at one point.
Sounds pretty scary. Lots of variables to get right with the elevator trim, and not all are obvious. It's a good place to take your time and get an extra pair of eyes on it.

Please send him a bit of money so he can keep providing food and essentials to civilians affected by the war.