-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-07-2021, 06:24 AM

I know this is a slightly older post but thought I might add some info regarding dyno testing we did during the RBAR and airshow days.

We tested a variety of spark plugs and both manufacturers. We found that the Tempest UREM37BY was king. One thing to note was that when using that plug in the high compression IO-540 (it was designed to keep O-235's from fouling) we had to replace them more frequently. We witnessed decreased performance in as little as 100 hours. We got them for free so we just replaced them.

Overall, the Tempest plugs outperformed the Champion counterpart across the board by a small margin. At the time we had a spark plug sponsor and it was not Tempest.
Old 03-22-2022, 11:05 AM

Default Spark Plugs

Does anyone know if there is an auto plug that is equivalent to the aviation UREM37BY plug?

On the last oil change, I switched over to the NGK BR8EIS plugs (8) gapped at .035". While there might have been a slight improvement, performance was still lower as compared to the UREM37BY aviation plugs. I am still seeing increases EGT's and lower CHT's with some power loss (relative to the aviation plugs). I am also seeing much more carbon in the cylinders with some dieseling on shutdown.

On my next oil change (or whenever I take the cowls off again) I'm going to swap out the NGK BR8EIS plugs (gapped at .035") and replace them with NGK BR8ES plugs gapped at 0.045" and see if there is any performance improvement. The test is based on this article: https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...06261917300673

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Minnis View Post
I know this is a slightly older post but thought I might add some info regarding dyno testing we did during the RBAR and airshow days.

We tested a variety of spark plugs and both manufacturers. We found that the Tempest UREM37BY was king. One thing to note was that when using that plug in the high compression IO-540 (it was designed to keep O-235's from fouling) we had to replace them more frequently. We witnessed decreased performance in as little as 100 hours. We got them for free so we just replaced them.

Overall, the Tempest plugs outperformed the Champion counterpart across the board by a small margin. At the time we had a spark plug sponsor and it was not Tempest.
RV-6A N926RV 875 Hrs (Sold)
RV-6A N925RV 2008 Hrs (Sold)
Old 03-22-2022, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred.Stucklen View Post
Does anyone know if there is an auto plug that is equivalent to the aviation UREM37BY plug?

On the last oil change, I switched over to the NGK BR8EIS plugs (8) gapped at .035". While there might have been a slight improvement, performance was still lower as compared to the UREM37BY aviation plugs. I am still seeing increases EGT's and lower CHT's with some power loss (relative to the aviation plugs). I am also seeing much more carbon in the cylinders with some dieseling on shutdown.

On my next oil change (or whenever I take the cowls off again) I'm going to swap out the NGK BR8EIS plugs (gapped at .035") and replace them with NGK BR8ES plugs gapped at 0.045" and see if there is any performance improvement. The test is based on this article: https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...06261917300673
What do you have for ignition? I feel like you are going the wrong way with plug gaps.. bigger gaps mean potentially more ignition leakage through the wires or under the cap. Aviation plugs are gapped around .016 to .018. I feel that I would rather small but reliable spark then big and possibly unreliable due to the higher resistance of large gaps.
RV-8 empenage finished 10-2020

Wings Started.. 11-2020
Old 03-22-2022, 08:29 PM

Default Spark Plugs

See the above : Dual PMAGS currently driving automotive plugs. Performance comparisons to aviation plugs with NOTHING but the plugs & wires changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltruda View Post
What do you have for ignition? I feel like you are going the wrong way with plug gaps.. bigger gaps mean potentially more ignition leakage through the wires or under the cap. Aviation plugs are gapped around .016 to .018. I feel that I would rather small but reliable spark then big and possibly unreliable due to the higher resistance of large gaps.
Old 03-23-2022, 12:38 AM

Quote:
See the above : Dual PMAGS currently driving automotive plugs. Performance comparisons to aviation plugs with NOTHING but the plugs & wires changed.
Fred, any chance there is an issue with the wires? I assume your mag checks are good, both ignitions timed properly. Do you see different behavior at all engine settings? I'm running the auto plugs, currently on the BR8ES, and have not been able to see any difference with any plug that's in that heat range. My testing has been far from scientific, and I did this while debugging a bad plug wire. I ended up replacing two or three wires of the original set that came from pmag.

Please send him a bit of money so he can keep providing food and essentials to civilians affected by the war.
Old 03-23-2022, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv8ch View Post
Fred, any chance there is an issue with the wires? I assume your mag checks are good, both ignitions timed properly. Do you see different behavior at all engine settings? I'm running the auto plugs, currently on the BR8ES, and have not been able to see any difference with any plug that's in that heat range. My testing has been far from scientific, and I did this while debugging a bad plug wire. I ended up replacing two or three wires of the original set that came from pmag.
Thanks for posting the PP link to your friend to help the folks in Ukraine!
Donation sent. Viva Ukraine!
http://www.rv8.ch/help-people-in-ukraine/

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 2000+ hrs, New Titan IO-370, Bendix Mags, MTV-9 prop
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154

Last edited by Walt : 03-23-2022 at 08:59 AM.
Old 03-23-2022, 11:09 AM

Default Spark Plugs

Since it was only the plugs & plug wires that were changed from the original aviation plug setup, it's possible that something is wrong with the plug wires. This set came directly from PMAG, and while I did check the resistance of some of them, I didn't do all of them. Next time the cowl is off, I'll check all of them for continuity. All auto plugs I've used to date have the solid tops, and I've been very careful to push the wire cap all the way down onto the plug, and into the PMAG.

Quote:
Old 04-18-2022, 11:50 AM

Default Spark Plugs

Quote:
Since it was only the plugs & plug wires that were changed from the original aviation plug setup, it's possible that something is wrong with the plug wires. This set came directly from PMAG, and while I did check the resistance of some of them, I didn't do all of them. Next time the cowl is off, I'll check all of them for continuity. All auto plugs I've used to date have the solid tops, and I've been very careful to push the wire cap all the way down onto the plug, and into the PMAG.
I have since confirmed that all the new spark plug wires are around 110 ohms each, with no intermitance detected. The BREIX plugs came out all dark black like they were subjected to a VERY rich fuel flow. Even the exhaust pipes were black! And I always run LEAN of peak! It's like the plugs are not burning the fuel....

Today I pulled the BREIX plugs (gaped at 0.035") and replaced them with BRES-3961 plugs gaped at 0.045". I've also cleaned the injectors per the Lycoming SB. I will test fly it tomorrow to see if there has been any improvement to the leaning .....
Old 04-18-2022, 12:26 PM

Quote:
I have since confirmed that all the new spark plug wires are around 110 ohms each, with no intermitance detected. The BREIX plugs came out all dark black like they were subjected to a VERY rich fuel flow. Even the exhaust pipes were black! And I always run LEAN of peak! It's like the plugs are not burning the fuel....

Today I pulled the BREIX plugs (gaped at 0.035") and replaced them with BRES-3961 plugs gaped at 0.045". I've also cleaned the injectors per the Lycoming SB. I will test fly it tomorrow to see if there has been any improvement to the leaning .....
Let us know what you find, Fred. Do you have a long taxi after landing? Perhaps lean a bit on the ground too?

Please send him a bit of money so he can keep providing food and essentials to civilians affected by the war.
Old 04-19-2022, 11:54 AM

Default Spark Plugs

Quote:
Let us know what you find, Fred. Do you have a long taxi after landing? Perhaps lean a bit on the ground too?
I always lean way past peak EGT on taxing, for exactly that reason. To the point of having to increase the mixture sometimes when I need more power. This week I ohmed out all the ignition leads, checking them for intermitant connections or excessive resitance. No issues found.

I'm seriously thinking about going back to the aviation plugs & harness again to get a better data point on performance.