VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

-POSTING RULES
-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.


Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 11-16-2018, 06:53 AM
DonFromTX's Avatar
DonFromTX DonFromTX is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: La Feria Texas
Posts: 3,823
Default

Another point for a buyer, if you feel that the ELSA is "better" because it was built strictly according to a standard, think again. The day AFTER the ELSA certificate, most any changes you might dream up are perfectly legal and do not have to be in accordance with the ELSA requirements. If you like your lawnmower engine, you can now fly behind your lawnmower engine. After all, it is EXPERIMENTAL!
__________________
A&P, PP-SEL, Pathological Flier, EAA Technical Counselor
EAA Chapter 595 President,http://www.595.eaachapter.org/index.htm
Retired US Army Officer
RV12 built and flying
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-16-2018, 07:23 AM
DaleB's Avatar
DaleB DaleB is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Omaha, NE (KMLE)
Posts: 2,347
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonFromTX View Post
Another point for a buyer, if you feel that the ELSA is "better" because it was built strictly according to a standard, think again. The day AFTER the ELSA certificate, most any changes you might dream up are perfectly legal and do not have to be in accordance with the ELSA requirements. If you like your lawnmower engine, you can now fly behind your lawnmower engine. After all, it is EXPERIMENTAL!
The only reason I would prefer E-LSA as a buyer is the ability to get the repairman certificate and sign off on the condition inspection. Of course an E-AB RV-12 was most likely not built strictly to plans (why else would you make it E-AB?), but one would hope that any deviations would be discovered and discussed during the prebuy inspection. No matter what the airworthiness certificate says, just like any other airplane you really need to know exactly what you're buying -- or be willing to deal with the inevitable surprises.
__________________
Dale

Omaha, NE
RV-12 # 222 N980KM "Screamin' Canary" (bought flying)
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-16-2018, 07:43 AM
Mel's Avatar
Mel Mel is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Dallas area
Posts: 11,387
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
The only reason I would prefer E-LSA as a buyer is the ability to get the repairman certificate and sign off on the condition inspection. Of course an E-AB RV-12 was most likely not built strictly to plans (why else would you make it E-AB?), but one would hope that any deviations would be discovered and discussed during the prebuy inspection. No matter what the airworthiness certificate says, just like any other airplane you really need to know exactly what you're buying -- or be willing to deal with the inevitable surprises.
The possibility here is that the builder may already have an engine, prop, avionics, etc., and prefer to use those instead of buying new from the kit manufacturer.
__________________
Mel Asberry, DAR since the last century. Over 1,000 certifications accomplished. Discount for Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire Fighters.
EAA Flight Advisor/Tech Counselor, Friend of the RV-1
Recipient of Tony Bingelis Award and Wright Brothers Master Pilot Award
USAF Vet, High School E-LSA Project Mentor.
RV-6 Flying since 1993 (sold)
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-16-2018, 08:02 AM
jnorris's Avatar
jnorris jnorris is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oshkosh
Posts: 261
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
The possibility here is that the builder may already have an engine, prop, avionics, etc., and prefer to use those instead of buying new from the kit manufacturer.
Yep, that's the main reason people go amateur-built instead of ELSA on an RV-12. But there is another, obscure reason to go AB. That is to allow the ability to lease the aircraft to another entity. By regulation, ELSA cannot be leased (Ref. 91.319(f)). This is why EAA built the "One Week Wonder" RV-12 as amateur-built, even though it is built strictly in accordance with Van's instructions. The plan is to lease the aircraft to the EAA employee flying club after it finishes it's promotional touring duties.

So, as mentioned before, when one is looking to purchase a flying RV-12, make sure to understand what airworthiness certificate it has, and why. As with any experimental aircraft, each one is unique.
__________________
Cheers!

Joe
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-16-2018, 12:56 PM
flytoboat's Avatar
flytoboat flytoboat is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Collinsville, IL
Posts: 622
Default E-AB vs ELSA

I know of one RV12 built exactly to plans and certificated as E-AB so he could get the repairman certificate instead of taking a 16 hour course. Then he started his 40 hour Phase 1!
__________________
Don
VAF #1100, EAA864
-6A bought flying
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-20-2022, 11:18 AM
hamblin10's Avatar
hamblin10 hamblin10 is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 32
Default

Starting to build an RV-12iS and I think I may certify as E-AB just incase I want to install the IFR package and fly on an actual IMC path. Not sure what advantage certifying as E-LSA provides.
__________________
Eric Hamblin
Private Pilot/A&P/Aerospace Engineer
RV-12iS in progress. N993EZ
Build 121398
Empennage kit ordered 9/30/21
Wing kit ordered 11/8/21
Fuselage kit ordered 03/07/22
Finish kit ordered 03/18/2022
Owasso Oklahoma

https://eaabuilderslog.org/?s=MYRV12
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-20-2022, 12:35 PM
Bob Y Bob Y is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Piedmont, SC
Posts: 359
Default

One of the reasons I went E-LSA was so subsequent owners could opt to take the 16 hr inspection course to allow them to perform their own CIs. Thought that might be a positive selling point for some.
__________________
Bob Y - builder 12iS E-LSA
N569TT first flight 2/9/2020
#121047
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-20-2022, 01:12 PM
randylervold's Avatar
randylervold randylervold is offline
moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Mill Creek, WA
Posts: 618
Default

My thoughts and opinion on the issue...
http://www.romeolima.com/rv12-home/info-elsaveab/
__________________
Randy Lervold
RV-12iS, empennage/tailcone complete, wings currently, fuse in box
RV-3B, first flight 2007 - sold
RV-8, first flight 2001 - sold
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-20-2022, 01:26 PM
bshawco bshawco is offline
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Near Durango, CO
Posts: 21
Default Light Sport Pilot Certificate doesn't qualify to fly EAB airplane

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression that a pilot with a Light Sport license and a "Driver's License medical" is legal to fly an E-LSA certificated airplane but not an E-AB, since an E-AB requires at least a Private Pilot license and 3rd Class Medical.

I'd think that this could be a reason to choose E-LSA over EAB registration.
__________________
-Brad Shaw.
Mancos, CO.
RV-12iS (Building Wings)
VAF Donation Made June 2021
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-20-2022, 02:09 PM
greghughespdx's Avatar
greghughespdx greghughespdx is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Aurora, OR
Posts: 1,168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshawco View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression that a pilot with a Light Sport license and a "Driver's License medical" is legal to fly an E-LSA certificated airplane but not an E-AB, since an E-AB requires at least a Private Pilot license and 3rd Class Medical.

I'd think that this could be a reason to choose E-LSA over EAB registration.
Not quite.

An aircraft flown by a sport pilot doesn't have to be certified as light sport, but it must meet the performance definition of a light-sport aircraft as defined in 14 CFR 1.1.

AOPA has some useful information on this subject.
__________________
Greg Hughes - Van's Aircraft
Van's web site | Instagram | Facebook
Opinions, information and comments are my own unless stated otherwise. They do not necessarily represent the direction/opinions of my employer.

Building RV-8A since Sept 2014
Dual AFS 5600, Avidyne IFD 440, Whirlwind 74RV, Superior XP IO-360
VAF build thread - Flickr photo album - Project Facebook page
Aurora, OR (EAA Chapter 105)

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:46 AM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.