camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2022, 03:35 PM

Default Finish kit delays - frustrating

Been patiently waiting but now have to vent a little and co-miserate with fellow finish kit orderers.

Ordered finish kit 7/7/21 - still waiting. It's hard to believe it's been 16 months...they now tell me I'm 10th out of 12 they're crating (been crating for months). Don't have any hair left to pull out - this is entering pathetic. It's been crating "in about 2 weeks" for the last 4 months.

Anyone else get one recently? There's gotta be 10 of you out there that have been waiting > 16 months but that's hard to believe. Starting to think they don't like me or something.

Never thought I'd have to dust the tail and fuselage off so much waiting for the finish kit...something to do I guess.

Dreaming of flying someday....
Old 11-04-2022, 03:46 PM

It was the middle of June 2021 when I called Van's to place my order for the entire kit. When they answered how long before I could expect to begin receiving deliveries I put my order on hold and started looking for a completed RV-12iS. Luckily I located one just completed and the A&P builder/owner listed it for sale. We closed the deal on June 28, 2021.

The lead time for receiving kits was just going to be too long. I would still enjoy building and am considering the RV-15. I wonder how long it will be to receive kit components for one of those!
E-LSA
iRMT & LSRM-I

Donated

“Never feel sorry for a man who owns a plane.” -Charles Morse (Anthony Hopkins) Movie - "The Edge" https://youtu.be/dJD0lB4zRes
"...except during the month of Annual Condition Inspection." -Me (in the hangar)
"My first wife didn't like airplanes." - Gordon Baxter
Old 11-04-2022, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResidentStranger View Post
Been patiently waiting but now have to vent a little and co-miserate with fellow finish kit orderers.

Ordered finish kit 7/7/21 - still waiting. It's hard to believe it's been 16 months...they now tell me I'm 10th out of 12 they're crating (been crating for months).
Ordered my finish kit 6/1/21 Got the kit delivered 2 weeks ago. It has some significant back orders. - engine mount extensions, flap motor, a few landing gear parts. But I am back building.

Paul Fisher
Old 11-04-2022, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResidentStranger View Post

Ordered finish kit 7/7/21 - still waiting. It's hard to believe it's been 16 months...they now tell me I'm 10th out of 12 they're crating (been crating for months). Don't have any hair left to pull out - this is entering pathetic. It's been crating "in about 2 weeks" for the last 4 months.

Anyone else get one recently? There's gotta be 10 of you out there that have been waiting > 16 months but that's hard to believe. Starting to think they don't like me or something.

Never thought I'd have to dust the tail and fuselage off so much waiting for the finish kit...something to do I guess.

Dreaming of flying someday....
I feel your pain, yesterday was the 10 month anniversary of my avionics kit order. If you haven’t ordered your avionics do not delay it will be a year wait.
Old 11-04-2022, 07:15 PM

I think they need to find an additional supplier for their welded/powder coated parts
Old 11-04-2022, 07:17 PM

From this article published today:

https://www.flyingmag.com/vans-rv-12...-it-you-fly-it
"Van’s Aircraft has perfected the process of designing, manufacturing, and shipping airplane kits for its RV line of E/AB models. Hughes says the Van’s parts picking and crate packing teams ship between 65 and 80 “sub-kits” each week all over the world. “An RV-7 has four sub-kits for the wings, empennage, fuselage, and finishing. So 80 sub-kits in theory represent about 20 airplanes. Just to give you some historical reference, we were shipping half that amount just a year ago,” he said."
Old 11-05-2022, 11:19 AM

Default Delays

My Finish Kit was ordered on 5-19-21. Final payment was requested on 7-21-22 and delivery was on 9-15-22. As others, I had, and still have, numerous backordered parts. A couple are required to mount the main gear legs so I can get the Fuselage on the ground before proceeding. So... as of today, that is 536 days or 17.5 months AND WAITING! As much as I enjoy the building process, like another post here, I too would have just bought a flying plane had I known. By the way, I just received my Power Plant Kit. AGAIN, numerous backordered parts. I know we all suffered through Covid, however..... I wish Van's could bring their production units up to the high performance level of their builder's technical support folks. They are awesome!
Tuscumbia, Alabama
Old 11-05-2022, 01:12 PM

I wonder... is there anything in the finish kit that could be scratch built so you could keep making some progress?

yeah that seems ridiculous for a company to have that sort of backlog. I know there's probably more to it, but Why don't they buy another machine already!?! Seems to me the only reason to not throw money at the problem might be if you think the demand is temporary.
Old 11-05-2022, 01:22 PM

Meanwhile our deposits languish in Van’s bank account. I do hope the despondency being shown here doesn’t come back to bite Aurora on the arse…
Old 11-05-2022, 07:53 PM

I think the doors and glass are in the finish kit? Those items would give builders a big chunk of work if they were sent with the fuse, or just sent to builders who needed the parts to keep working.

(Edit - Correction, I didn't realize this was a -12 thread when I posted. I'm building a -10 and finish kits are also 16-18 months..)
Working on wings
2022 Dues Paid

Photos of build progress here.

Last edited by Everwild : 11-05-2022 at 10:04 PM.