- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 09-20-2021, 05:45 PM

Hi All,
Sorry for the confusion. I am not trying to resolve an airspeed vs. GPS disagreement. My airspeed is without a doubt reading 10 to 15 knots low. I believe
I have narrowed it down to a leak in the LH static port. I'm going update my D180 and see if anything changes. If not, I will be gaining access to the tailcone. Unfortunately, I do not have the split bulkhead...
ASEL, A&P
Old 09-20-2021, 06:03 PM

Easier to do the following test. Disconnect (or plug) the static vents. Open the static line somewhere inside the cabin. Go fly. Problem fixed? (Try with air vents open, and closed.) Cabin pressure is usually different than true static, but not enough to decrease airspeed 15 knots.
An easier, alternative test is to set your altimeter to field elevation, then carefully do a high speed low pass 50’ over the runway. Does the altimeter read field elevation plus 50’? If so your static system is okay.
Old 09-20-2021, 06:28 PM

Group - -does the 12 use the same rivet crown shape for the static ports? Historically (here on VAF), it is some issue with the static port that has caused drastic AS errors.

RV-7
Old 09-20-2021, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillL View Post
Group - -does the 12 use the same rivet crown shape for the static ports? Historically (here on VAF), it is some issue with the static port that has caused drastic AS errors.
I believe this is true. But the vans’ rivet heads always work, It’s the other, fancier designs, that give trouble!
Old 09-20-2021, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
Easier to do the following test. Disconnect (or plug) the static vents. Open the static line somewhere inside the cabin. Go fly. Problem fixed? (Try with air vents open, and closed.) Cabin pressure is usually different than true static, but not enough to decrease airspeed 15 knots.
An easier, alternative test is to set your altimeter to field elevation, then carefully do a high speed low pass 50’ over the runway. Does the altimeter read field elevation plus 50’? If so your static system is okay.
Hi Bob,
Great info, I'm going to give that a try.
Thanks
ASEL, A&P
Old 09-20-2021, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillL View Post
Hi Bill,
Thank you. It was your first reply that got me looking at the static system. I believe that's what may be causing the issue.
ASEL, A&P
Old 09-21-2021, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
Bob,
Would disconnecting the static line at the back of the D180 accomplish the same thing or is it imperative that I open the static line in the cabin?
Thanks
ASEL, A&P
Old 09-21-2021, 06:05 AM

The instrument bay has cooling fans that will change the pressure.
Disconnect the static line from the back of the D-180. In its place, attach a spare tube and run it into the cabin.
Old 09-21-2021, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich48041 View Post
The instrument bay has cooling fans that will change the pressure.
Disconnect the static line from the back of the D-180. In its place, attach a spare tube and run it into the cabin.

Good idea. Thanks
ASEL, A&P
Old 09-21-2021, 09:56 PM

When I had a pitot system issue on an Aventura HP I ran a temporary pitot tube and hooked it to a spare airspeed indicator vented to my cockpit for comparison. A little tough to do on an RV-12, but not impossible with a little duct tape and ingenuity.