Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Reviews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2021, 10:53 AM

I must echo almost all of the sentiments here about build quality of the CQ1 compared to the Halo, and of the excellent service from Card Machine Works.

I have one nagging gripe, and I suspect it might be some issue with the combination of my audio components and the CQ1: I have a hard time hearing myself; there's little sidetone. I don't have this issue with my Lightspeed Zulu III or my Halo. I'm experimenting with increasing the gain a bit at a time, but it's not having the effect I hoped for.

Other than that, my experience has been excellent.
Old 05-26-2021, 01:21 PM

I ordered a set of CQ1 to replace my Halos which I really like accept for the mic.

After making the order I received an email confirmation and noticed I made a mistake on my address. I emailed the Cards and explained the error. They were able to quickly correct the address even though the headset was already in transit. I received my CQ1 and they look very high quality.

Time to retire my Halos and and give the CQ1 a try. I prefer this type of headset to my Bose which only gets used by passengers, rarely.

We also met the Cards at Osh Kosh years ago. They helped us score a room rental at an amazing house near the field. Super cool folks. Their follow up customer service is outstanding.
Old 05-26-2021, 04:53 PM

Default Ear plug question

In the past I have had custom ear pieces for a pre-chordial stethoscope. The impressions are not that difficult to make and the comfort is quite good.

My experience with foam ear plugs comes from shooting and although they work OK I don't especially like the comfort.

What do you all think of the custom vs foam ear plugs??

The CQ headset is on the way and I am looking forward to trying the standard foam plugs but might order custom.

Thoughts?

Thanks to a COVID forced shutdown--re-evaluated and completing a 40 yr dream of flying and building.

PASSED THE CHECK RIDE !!
Old 05-26-2021, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arr View Post
In the past I have had custom ear pieces for a pre-chordial stethoscope. The impressions are not that difficult to make and the comfort is quite good.

My experience with foam ear plugs comes from shooting and although they work OK I don't especially like the comfort.

What do you all think of the custom vs foam ear plugs??

The CQ headset is on the way and I am looking forward to trying the standard foam plugs but might order custom.

Thoughts?
Andrew, first, thank you for your order and confidence in the CQ1. We hope you love it.

This question of custom ear molds comes up from time to time. I won't pretend to tell you what is right for you, as there are as many ear tip options as there are headsets on the market. But, I have talked to more than just a handful of pilots that have tried custom ear molds in our high noise piston cockpit environment (myself included), and have not come across any that were experiencing their initial high expectations. Some of those were diy, and most paid hundreds of dollars. Most were with other in-the-ear products and a couple with ours.

There are all kinds of reasons that the cockpit is different than the sound stage or shooting range that I won't dive into here.

Andrew, if you find yourself struggling with ear-tips, noise attenuation or are just in search of more options than we provide out of the box, give us a call. I bet you'll have a fruitful conversation with Tanya as hundreds of your fellow RV'ers have.

I too, am all ears for the reports of anyone that is flying hundreds of hours per year in a noisy cockpit (100dB+) from sea level to 12k'+ with custom ear molds that can describe their amazing experience and the exact material of their mold inserts.
RV-9A N4822C flying 2200+hrs. / Cedar Park, TX
RV8 Building - fuselage / showplanes canopy (Done!)
VAF Advertiser
Old 07-08-2021, 04:08 PM

Well my replacement plane is finally in the hangar and my 2 ANRs went with the sale of my RV8 last year so it's time to either buy a new stereo ANR (I need stereo for the OnSpeed system) or test the CQ1 because the David Clarks are mono and I'm not wearing a helmet in a Cessna 177 !

I'm placing my order for the CQ1 as we speak, let's see how it does in the Cardinal, or maybe wait for the Oshkosh special price discount ???

Exempt by 3 out of the 10 ways but I still donated.

Last edited by Pilot135pd : 07-08-2021 at 04:11 PM.