What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nose Wheel Fairing Conversion

jrock836

Well Known Member
I'm not the builder of my airplane, so I don't have a lot of the construction tools that one would expect. I have been buying and borrowing as I go. I'd like to just buy the tool(s) I need for this project rather than borrowing tools.

I updated my nose wheel fork pursuant to the nose fork SB. I would now like to install the updated nose wheel fairing. There looks to be lots of riveting involved. Can someone tell me if one of the hand squeezers should be enough to get the riveting job done, or am I going to need more than one tool. If so, tell me what I need just for this job. Thanks!

Last edited:
rivet puller

The hand puller will be just fine for the rivets in the wheel fairings. The full kit comes with 12,000 rivets - for that quantity a pneumatic puller is a desirable tool.

A hand squeezer will do it nicely, but you will need to borrow a longeron yoke to get at a few rivets. The instructions mention this. These are flush rivets, not pulled rivets. You will probably wear out a countersink cutter on all those holes. Fibreglass eats countersink cutters☹️.
Cheers DaveH

Back