Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2020, 07:10 PM

This presentation covers some of the questions posted above.

https://www.avweb.com/multimedia/avi...getting-worse/

I'd rather fly than tinker.

"There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician, the other is an artist in love with flight."
- Elrey B. Jeppesen,
Old 10-02-2020, 01:47 AM

Lightbulb Continuation Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber25 View Post
This presentation covers some of the questions posted above.

https://www.avweb.com/multimedia/avi...getting-worse/
The biggest take-away from the video here is "participate in continuation training yearly."

Develop an atmosphere of continuous training and learning in the local EAA chapter, or individually. The FAA Wings program is a way to show a person is willing to put safety and currency as priorities.

Second topic most repeated in this video interview is FLY more! An hour a month isn't enough. An hour a week is a good start and "100 hours a year" was preferred by every insurance company.

LODA's and CFIs giving instruction in their own insured aircraft is not viable. There is a huge need for training, but CFIs who own RV's cannot be expected to bear the burden of the bills they incur by insuring their personal aircraft for training flights.

Invite a CFI who also owns an RV or is familiar with RVs to go along with you, in your RV that you insure on a few flights every year and do things that reinforce safe practices. Log those flights as dual received and report them proudly to your insurance underwriters every year when applying for a renewal.

It is ok for a CFI to train you in your aircraft because you are paying only for the instruction and the aircraft is not being rented as a commercial asset. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

That being said, if you want to learn more about the FAA Wings Program or getting continuation training in your own personally owned RV, send me a PM.

In the meantime, check out www.faasafety.gov for some free ground training and flight training outlines to use next time you fly with a CFI.

Launching from SC45
Old 10-02-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinTiger View Post
It is ok for a CFI to train you in your aircraft because you are paying only for the instruction and the aircraft is not being rented as a commercial asset. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
This is correct.
Old 10-02-2020, 03:48 PM

Quote:
The biggest take-away from the video here is "participate in continuation training yearly."

Develop an atmosphere of continuous training and learning in the local EAA chapter, or individually. The FAA Wings program is a way to show a person is willing to put safety and currency as priorities.

Second topic most repeated in this video interview is FLY more! An hour a month isn't enough. An hour a week is a good start and "100 hours a year" was preferred by every insurance company.

Invite a CFI who also owns an RV or is familiar with RVs to go along with you, in your RV that you insure on a few flights every year and do things that reinforce safe practices. Log those flights as dual received and report them proudly to your insurance underwriters every year when applying for a renewal.

T
This is the route I'm going down... Bought my RV-12, being trained in my RV-12 for my pilot's license, and I hope to make 100 hours minimum, per year, to make owning the RV-12 viable and cost effective. Hangar fees and insurance are fixed, the cost per hour goes down per year, the more hours you fly. And your proficiency goes up.
RV-12, #212 N72DJ, bought flying. A Blessing in disguise. Thank you Double D!
Old 10-03-2020, 02:52 PM

Default Insurance cost for dual training

Quote:

LODA's and CFIs giving instruction in their own insured aircraft is not viable. There is a huge need for training, but CFIs who own RV's cannot be expected to bear the burden of the bills they incur by insuring their personal aircraft for training flights.
That is a correct statement. My biggest overhead is the dual training insurance.

Don't forget that for builders that are just about to conduct the maiden flight on their new minted experimental, Advisory Circular 90-116 covers all aspects of an additional safety pilot for the first eight hours of phase I testing.
Let's be safe and stay safe out there.

Alex D
RV10 and RV7.