Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2020, 09:57 PM
unfluencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwthompson67 View Post
AFTER SHUTDOWN...

Do you have manual flaps?
Yes. Flaps are manual. I like them stored in the up position in the hangar (easier to roll around under the wing when cleaning).

b,d
  • Part time: Supporting Crew Member CAE EMB-505 Level D Sim @ KDFW.
Old 06-23-2020, 09:59 PM
unfluencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcjetpilot View Post
..... Do you really need to clean up the cockpit, put headset away? .
Thanks for the feedback. I've gone through enough AA batteries on the headsets to make it a line in the checklist <g>.
b,d
  • Part time: Supporting Crew Member CAE EMB-505 Level D Sim @ KDFW.
Old 06-23-2020, 10:31 PM

Looks great! I would move a few things but please don?t be insulted my my recommendations!
1. I would move ?Clear Prop? to right before you start the engine. All those steps in preparation for starting the engine are great, but you are heads down, and right before I hit the starter, I look up and yell ?Clear Prop?. I prefer ?Clear Prop? over just ?Clear? because I feel it communicates more, especially to a non pilot who could be on the ramp.
2. Unless the manufacturers say differently, I would prefer to turn on the alternator field after the engine start to watch the amps come alive. I do like that the alternator is on before you turn on avionics though, to avoid the spike.
3. With a constant speed prop, I prefer to reduce the manifold pressure before making a reduction in rpm. I would go 24.5, then when you reduce rpm to 2500, it?ll probably bring up the MP to the intended 25 inches.
4. Before landing, if the lights are LED, I would probably leave them on the entire flight, or at least turn them on in the initial descent. I used to not be a fan of landing lights during the day, but that changed when they helped me spot a plane that I wouldn?t have seen otherwise. I also don?t move the prop full forward until I have throttled back to the point that the rpm has fallen ?off the governor? so it doesn?t surge or make a bunch of unnecessary noise. The point is to have it available for go around, and I don?t feel the need to make a bunch of noise in the pattern.
Pumping the brakes may be controversial. I know a guy who was flying a plane that he didn?t realize had a parking brake. The valve vibrated closed and after he landed, as he applied brakes, the plane stopped. Had he pumped the brakes in the air, it probably would have nosed over on touchdown. I understand the benefits of checking brake pressure before landing, but I also remember his story, so I typically don?t do it.
5. After landing, I would retract flaps and set trim. Perhaps you decide to taxi back and takeoff again, you would be ready. No sense in delaying that until your shutdown checklist. I say ?Flaps up, clean up? meaning trim, pumps, lights, etc...I also like to lean aggressively the mixture for taxi. You can?t hurt it at taxi power, and if you lean aggressively, the engine won?t allow you to attempt a takeoff without you moving it richer.
6. I might add a shutdown checklist, where you momentarily check mags off, then on again to verify mag switch grounding (I used to not do this, but I feel it?s a good idea, and it won?t pop the exhaust components at idle) then avionics off, alternator off, mixture ICO..

Wings Started.. 11-2020
Old 06-24-2020, 04:27 AM

Very clean and readable layout.

I´m following another checklist philosophy however. I would not add power settings, lights (except mandatory lights) and things like this in a checklist, these items might be variable the other day.

A few points I see at this time:
- No flight control check before T/O! Assume your pax is blocking the stick with his 10" iPad. [ed. The 'C' in GIFTSTPC2B2C in the before takeoff section stands for 'Controls free and correct' v/r,dr]
- no altimeters, I know in the US you always fly QNH up to 18000`, but the checklist should cover all areas and may be instrument approaches in weather. [ed. The 'I' in GIFTSTPC2B2C in the before takeoff section stands for 'Instruments set - Baro, Altimeter bug, Heading bug' v/r,dr]
- I think mixture for T/O and landing should read set or similar, not full rich. Full rich doesn´t cover high altitude airports. You know it but somebody flying your plane with your checklist might not. At least this guy is then not instructed to set things incorrectly.

RV-8 flying, IO-375, P-Mags, 74RV Prop

Last edited by DeltaRomeo : 06-24-2020 at 01:59 PM.
Old 06-24-2020, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaRomeo View Post
[i](5th line of Before Takeoff explained).....Gas(verify L or R), Instruments(Baro, HDG bug, Altitude level-off set), Flaps(up), Trim(for T/O), Strobes(OFF), Transponder(ALT), Pump(OFF), CanopyCanopy(both latches secure - RV6 tip up has two), BeltBelt(both belts secure), Controls(free/correct).
Curious: Why turn the strobes On at engine start, Off after runup, and On again when taking the runway, instead of just leaving them on full time?

[ed. In my case it's because they are LED and uncomfortably, almost painfully bright when standing nearby, and blind planes taxiing next to you or waiting at the runup area (i.e. formation practice). Flying the Caravan and PC-12 I learned from the corporate/airline folks that strobes usually stay off until you get cleared to T/O. I bump them before engine start just to send one more reminder, this one visual, that there is someone in my plane and it's about to come to life (I don't have a rotating beacon). v/r,dr]

Last edited by DeltaRomeo : 06-24-2020 at 02:20 PM.
Old 06-24-2020, 08:26 AM

The first thing on my checklist is to remove my hearing aids.

RV-7 "Dream Weaver" N50KB
Empennage arrived 10/14
QB Wings & Fuselage arrived 06/15
Finish & FF kits arrived 11/15
Dual screen Garmin G3X instruments and harness delivered by Stein 01/16
First flight June 13th 2018

2020 Dues Paid
Builders Log
Family Blog
Old 06-24-2020, 09:10 AM

Default GIFTSTPC2B2C2???

Shouldn't an aircraft checklist should be for anyone getting in to safely start and fly that aircraft. If so, I wouldn't abbreviate something that only you know what it is.... i.e. GIFTSTPC2B2C2, as that will be skipped by the next pilot for sure.

[ed. Not in my opinion. This checklist is for my RV-6 only and for my use. And the description of all the letters is on the back of the checklist if I need to brief another pilot for some reason. v/r,dr]
  • Bell 47 D-1 H-13 Sioux Army/Mash Helicopter - Fully Restored and Flying!
  • Vans RV-4 (being upgraded to new panel, firewall, weldments and long gear legs)
Yearly VAF dues paid to date.

Last edited by DeltaRomeo : 06-24-2020 at 02:16 PM.
Old 06-24-2020, 02:07 PM

Default Checklist

Looks pretty complete. I would consider either adding text or a flow to:

After Start: check systems( oil press-amps-vac-whatever) before starting to taxi.

Enroute or Cruise segment: add Monitor Fuel Balance

After Landing: Trim(s) Set for Takeoff (maybe ?Centered? has this covered)

I have a flow for the Taking the Runway/Line Up segment to final check the things that can hurt you, in RVs I start with the canopy latch then on a path that makes sense (it flows) I will check boost pump, trims, mixture rich, both ignitions, park brake, strobes, ect

I use the same format to make checklists for several of the planes I fly. Office Depot has card stock to print checklists on and When done I go back to the store to have them laminate with 8 or 10 mil material. Mine are 3.5? wide and 9? tall, printed on both sides. The back is printed upside down from the front, it?s easier to flip it end over end with 1 hand than to turn it around.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer
Old 06-25-2020, 08:33 AM

Quote:
[ed. In my case it's because they are LED and uncomfortably, almost painfully bright when standing nearby, and blind planes taxiing next to you or waiting at the runup area (i.e. formation practice). Flying the Caravan and PC-12 I learned from the corporate/airline folks that strobes usually stay off until you get cleared to T/O. I bump them before engine start just to send one more reminder, this one visual, that there is someone in my plane and it's about to come to life (I don't have a rotating beacon). v/r,dr]
Ah, okay, that makes sense.

(on a semi-related note: When you reply in-line like this there's no indication that there's a new reply... clicking "new replies" in a thread takes you to the newest reply by someone else. The only people who see your reply are people who happen to scroll through, or people who come along to the thread after you've posted so everything is "new" to them.)
Old 06-25-2020, 08:43 AM

Default Feet on brakes?

I don't think I'd need an item to remind me to put my feet on the brakes when starting. Not necessary in my opinion. Anyone in the pattern, please advise