Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV Ongoing Maintenance Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2020, 11:33 AM

Default UPDATE-SUCCESS Ball Valve to control Oil Cooler FLow

Has anyone attempted installing a ball valve in one of the oil cooler lines to deal with too cool oil temps? I am concerned that completely blocking oil flow to the cooler may create oil flow to the engine. I know the vernatherm should act as a pressure bypass even if the oil temp is high enough to cut off the vernatherm blocking the bypass port but I does seem it would restrict oil pump output.
Ed
Exempt but happily paid for 2021

Last edited by edclee : 12-08-2020 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Update
Old 11-29-2020, 12:04 PM

Default Nope

Hi Ed,
The general approach to oil temp control is in the air supply. Much safer than oil restriction....simpler too. Lotsa information on here regarding oil cooler control.

Best,
Building RV-12, Wings, fuse, emp complete. FWF in progress.
Old 11-29-2020, 02:12 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

I flew with Larry Vetterman in his Super Cub a few years back, and he’s got a knob to a ball valve to control flow to the cooler. No vernatherm installed. He says this is pretty common in the back country Cub world, and it sure seemed to work well for him!

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 11-29-2020, 04:07 PM

Default ??

...and if the valve is closed, do you starve the engine of oil?

There has to be more....
Building RV-12, Wings, fuse, emp complete. FWF in progress.
Old 11-29-2020, 06:12 PM

Default Oil Cooler Valve

It is not possible to compromise oil pressure by closing the ball valve. Basically with the valve closed the engine reverts back to the same configuration as a non oil cooler engine, one example being early 0 235 engines installations as in some Pipers.
Old 11-29-2020, 06:13 PM

The valve is in the oil cooler line. The vernatherm is disassembled, with the guts taken out, and the housing tightened back in to plug that hole. The oil cooler bypass spring and plunger are put in the accessory housing (Lycoming parts 69436 and 62415). It is this spring/plunger which would then "ride" open if you closed the oil cooler flow completely. One should probably not allow the valve to completely close. I got this info from Larry V directly.

Most of our engines simply have a plug in this hole, which is just forward of the oil filter housing, on top.
Old 11-30-2020, 09:58 AM

A couple friends run with a bypass valve in the cooler lines. In cold weather operation, the oil normally on its way to the cooler is diverted back into the circuit . No need to remove or modify the Vernatherm
Old 12-01-2020, 08:06 AM

Default Modify the ball valve

I am not being a proponent of this solution but could not resist this recommendation. A hole can be drilled into the ball of the ball valve so that when it is in the closed position, a minimum amount of oil would still flow through the valve.

Sizing of the hole would be calculated based on the viscosity of the oil at temperature, pressure of the oil system, and the diameter of the ball.
Victoria, TX
Old 12-01-2020, 11:28 AM

Default Ball valve

Let me chime in here as I have this unit in my airplanes. I didnít invent it but in 1984 my first -4 ran way too cool. A fellow and very knowledgeable RV recommended this to get the oil temperature up to a reasonable number. I was skeptical but took his advise and never looked back. It is important to set the valve up so full off still allows a small amount of oil to flow thru the cooler. No we never drilled any hole in the valve.
I was at Oshkosh and was approached by a guy explaining he had a problem with the oil temperature running too hot. I explained exactly how to do it and he called me with the results. Deleting the vernatherm and installing the spring and plunger reduced his oil temperature 35-40 degrees.
All of my years building exhaust systems I would get calls about high oil temps and if the builder was a hands on type I would explain how and why it works. I was asked many times to go public and post it, but I never did as I figured some guy would forget to watch the temperature and let it get too hot and blame me for it.
RVs arenít the only place this is a common practice. The PA-18 150 supercub came out with the spring and plunger along with the oil screen and there was a plate that went on the nose bowl over the oil cooler entrance when the temperature was below 40F. The addition of the vernatherm and oil filter setup excluded the spring and plunger. Now there are different brands of oil filter setups and some use the same hole in the accessory case as the spring and plunger and some donít.
Bottom line is the ball valve setup has been around for many years and thousands of hours of engine time and it works. The key is to watch and adjust the valve just like RPM and MP.
Old 12-01-2020, 11:29 AM

Talking Problem Solved!!

... Go to our website and see our oil cooler shutters that are opened and closed
via a cockpit control cable. Thanks, Allan..
Products, Tools & Services
Info@AntiSplatAero.com
Southern California (KREI)
RV-9A / Edge-540
(909) 824-1020