Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2014, 09:05 PM

Default Safety at non towered airport

I want to share this event that occurred today while I was taking off from KMWL.
I rent a hanger at this airport Mineral Wells Tx. And I am very familiar with the Area. Well today my wife and I loaded up the Rv to head to Monroe KMLU. It was like all the other departures we have done in the past, the WX called for calm winds. So I taxied out and decided to depart on runway 13 . I announced my intentions on the frequency and held short for departure, I looked both directions and listened for any other traffic. All was clear and proceeded to depart on runway 13. Now let me explain the runway environment. Runway 13 runs uphill and at the top it goes down about 500' now I'm full power and just as my rv lifts off I see another plane and my Dynon tell me traffic !!!! Another plane was running down the runway heading toward me. I pulled up turned to the right and seen this Grumman fly past me. The other plane made a comment on the radio that he made his radio call that he was departing. I did not hear any radio transmissions and I advised him that I also made the appropriate radio calls . He said he did not hear anything but what sounded like someone broke squelch . About that time the FBO operator made a radio call stating that he hear both of our transmissions. The only thing I can think of is that he was on the other side of the hill and we could not hear each other.. The good thing about this event is that we had a good outcome from a bad situation.
I will from this time forward from any airport were you cannot see the other end will take every percaution before departing. Anyway I hope everyone that reads this and finds themselves is this situation will be very carfull.

Dan Peeler
RV7A

Last edited by rv6rick : 10-22-2014 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Removed expletive
Old 10-22-2014, 09:17 PM

Did either pilot announce their intention to taxi from parking to runway whatever? I would think if the FBO guy said he heard both of you that he would of came over the radio and said something about the situation. Glad you are both safe!
Repeat Offender / Race 007
Friend of the RV-1

Last edited by LifeofReiley : 10-22-2014 at 09:45 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:42 PM

Default Calm wind runway?

Is there an established calm wind runway? I don't see any listed in the A-FD. How about a tetrahedron?
It seems like a good idea for all non towered airports to have a listed calm wind runway.
I see all the procedures listed are for runway 31.
Glad it all worked out. Good lesson and thanks for sharing
Scott
Old 10-22-2014, 11:00 PM

In my region the only mid-air collision I know of occurred with two airplanes both in the same circuit, same direction and both were talking on the radio. One was on final, the other turned base on a shorter final and they flew into each other and everyone died. There were 1 or 2 passengers involved as well, sadly.

What I take away from this is that the radio will only go so far to keep you safe and this is another example. The day was saved by the pilots watching where they were going.

The only way to really keep yourself safe is to use the mark 1 eyeball and don't assume that those around you won't screw up. I've screwed up and found myself where I shouldn't be as well. We've all done it.

When arriving at an airport it is so important to be looking outside, not heads down fiddling with an efis or ipad or a checklist. My flight school did not emphasize this enough I don't think. I learned it from the old airline and military guys.
Instagram @sblack2154
Old 10-22-2014, 11:17 PM

years ago on an x/c to the Bahamas, an RV owner at mineral wells loaned me his hangar and tools so I could fix my alternator, which took several days, turned out the first replacement was defective in the box. he was an airline pilot and had to leave for a flight. I forget his name, but not his trust and the favor he gave me.
2014 - PAID
Old 10-23-2014, 05:07 AM

Default Same Thing here...

I was at Gulf Coast and a bunch of RV's flew in for lunch. One of the guys wanted to go for a ride in the -9, not a big deal. There was very light winds and everyone was using 35. We taxied up to the end of the runway, did our run up, listened, and announced. Just as we were about to lift off we realized a Rocket was landing on 17. We quickly side stepped the runway. Lucky for us, it was a long runway.

Here's the thing, both of us transmitted, but neither heard the other. Maybe because we weren't expecting opposing traffic.

Also, all the prior traffic was using 35, as we were and here comes a guy using the opposite runway. Later, when we spoke, (No hostility from either of us, just two concerned pilots trying to figure out what happened.) we couldn't understand how this happened. I guess it is possible we both transmitted at the same time, it is possible.

Neither of us saw the other until we were both on the runway at the same time.

While radios are great, not all airplanes have them. So, relying on them is a false sense of security. We must "Look and Listen", in that order. (Runways with a hump in the middle add a real challenge to that "Look" thing.)
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 10-23-2014, 07:04 AM

Dan,

Thanks for the writeup and I'm very glad this was only a "teachable moment"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Flyer View Post
Is there an established calm wind runway? It seems like a good idea for all non towered airports to have a listed calm wind runway.
My experience has been it's not as easy as it could be to update the AFD with corrections to required data and harder still to add optional information.

Last edited by humptybump : 10-23-2014 at 02:49 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:12 AM

I love my Zaon. I don't trust the rest of you.
RV-12iS Powerplant kit
N612EF Builder log (EAA Builder log)
Last article: "Gonna Finish This Sucker" (Kitplanes)
Waiting for the avionics kit (backordered: chip shortage)
Old 10-23-2014, 09:14 AM

I suppose everyone has a story- this one reminds us that just doing the obvious is not always enough. Right turn avoidance was the last good procedure to yield a good result.

I was on a long x-cty and landed at Mariana Fl. I got fuel and taxied back out to the end of the tarmac, and thought I would just do the run up there rather than on the taxi way to the runway and hold short line. I turned right to enter the taxi way and for what ever reason, looked to the left. A glider was landing on the grass along my side of the runway and was about 80 yards to the left at 8 feet agl. I had announced taxi and intention to taxi to active. It spooked me and before moving looked back, only to see another, this time over the centerline. That was one of many lessons learned with luck on my side.

Thanks for sharing.

RV-7
Old 10-23-2014, 01:34 PM

Couple of weeks ago I flew over the KCJR to see the flight of 20some T6s depart for their planned flight over the Pentagon, etc. Turn out they were going to NOTAM close the airport right after they departed so if I didn't want to be stuck there I'd need to depart before they did. The fact this was not in accordance to the published NOTAM is an irritating fact that is irrelevant to the story.

Well the T6s started taxing out enmasse to Runway 22 to do their warmups. A C182 that was going to act as a photo ship had preceded them to taxi to Runway 4 so I proceeded to follow him down the taxiway (winds were dead calm and it was agreed the photo ship and I would depart from that end to avoid the mass confusion of 20 T6s doing runup in a confined space.

I'm sitting in the runup area as the Cessna pulls to the hold-short line doing, well, my runup. Cessna announces his intention to depart RWY 4 after the T6 Flight lead told us they would be at least ten minutes giving us plenty of time to do our thing at the other end. Just as I see Cessna start to pull forward I reflexively key the mike and yell, "Cessna HOLD Short, Traffic on Short Final". Brakes heavily applied just as a Stearman crossed the threshold not 10 feet AGL (or so it looked to me).

All ended up fine. Stearman (there for the airshow) taxied in to park, Cessna departed after thanking me for my call. I departed just beating the rain that canceled the T6 flight for that and the next day (success had on Sunday).

Would the Stearman have hit the Cessna if he had pulled out? Don't know. Stearman would probably have never seen him and it looked like it would have ended very badly.

You just can't assume anything...
KEZF