- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:45 PM

Mark,

I like those G3X panels. I was originally thinking of a similar setup, but with the new touch model now I'm confused about what I should do. I wish Garmin would give some insight on the lifetime of the non-touch units.
RV-7 Fuselage in progress
* Cabin Interior - In progress
RV-7 SB Wings
* Both Wings fully skinned
* Fuel Tanks Complete - No leaks finally
* Ailerons Complete
* Flaps Complete
RV-7 Empennage - Complete (a little fiberglass work left)
Vans Training Kit # 2 - Complete
RV-7 Preview Plans
Vans Training Kit #1 - Complete
EAA Sheet Metal Class - Complete
Old 08-21-2014, 08:08 PM

I never played with the original G3X to any extent, but the Touch panels are amazingly intuitive. I think of something that would make sense with the panel, try it, and often, it works. But maybe I should read the manual someday anyway. :-)

VAF Donation made: 1/28/2020, My RV-7A Build Log
Old 08-22-2014, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid_ascent View Post
Mark,

I like those G3X panels. I was originally thinking of a similar setup, but with the new touch model now I'm confused about what I should do. I wish Garmin would give some insight on the lifetime of the non-touch units.
I highly suggest the Touch if you can swing it. Way better technology under the hood of those! It really is more than just a new Touch interface and wider screen. Look at the difference in the GTN vs the GNS series... The difference between the original G3X and the Touch is better than that!
RV-10, #41942, N?????, Project Sold
---------------------------------------------------------------------
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Lyc. O-360 carbed, HARTZELL BA CS Prop, Dual P-MAGs, Dual Garmin G3X Touch
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Like EAA Chapter 1494 on Facebook
Old 08-22-2014, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantel View Post
I highly suggest the Touch if you can swing it. Way better technology under the hood of those! It really is more than just a new Touch interface and wider screen. Look at the difference in the GTN vs the GNS series... The difference between the original G3X and the Touch is better than that!
Really? I asked a question about the differences between the 400W and 650 on this site a few days ago and the reply I got was that, aside from the
"obvious" of not having a com and vor/ils capability, that I would not lose much by going with the 400W. Now, I'm even More confused!
Would one of the G3experts chime in and please, tell of some of the enhancements of the GTN650 over the 400W? I was at Oshkosh and saw a lot of what the GTN series is capable of, but not much was discussed about your older equipment. I'm getting close to ordering my avionics and would like to make an educated decision about my certified GPS system.

Rock
Old 08-22-2014, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
Really? I asked a question about the differences between the 400W and 650 on this site a few days ago and the reply I got was that, aside from the
"obvious" of not having a com and vor/ils capability, that I would not lose much by going with the 400W. Now, I'm even More confused!
Would one of the G3experts chime in and please, tell of some of the enhancements of the GTN650 over the 400W? I was at Oshkosh and saw a lot of what the GTN series is capable of, but not much was discussed about your older equipment. I'm getting close to ordering my avionics and would like to make an educated decision about my certified GPS system.

Rock
Relax....When used with the G3X, from the G3X perspective, most likely you would not even be able to tell the difference between which model was connected to the G3X.

You won't lose any meaningful functionality but you will miss the benefits of a better user interface (yes some argue touch is not better but it is more than just touch I am talking about) and new hardware technology platform (more modern electronics, faster processors etc). The GNS series is a fine unit and there are thousands of them in use every day around the world.

Bottom line however is that for the typical RV builder the functional differences are minor and you will be well served by either one.

I have owned and used both the GNS430W and the GTN650 and both do the job they are expected to do just fine.

Some enhancements of the GTN over the GNS w WAAS:

Higher resolution/brighter screen
Faster Processor (smooth panning and zooming)
Touch Interface (some love it and some hate it but most haters have never actually used it. In reality it is mostly a non issue...)
Prettier Graphics and Icons
Much more refined and shallower user interface. The GNS uses a bunch of tiered menus. The GTN is much more flat and intuitive.
More modern design using more modern electronics
The GTN has airways and safetaxi
The GTN has more flight plan and waypoint storage
The GTN has more optional features and interfaces available

Also consider the fact that the GNS is the older model and that Garmin has already produced a replacement series in the GTN. Garmin most likely will eventually end support for the GNS series and this is a major thing to consider.....

If it were my money and I could swing the difference in cost (which I understand is not that great in the grand scheme of things), I would pick the GTN over the GNS.
RV-10, #41942, N?????, Project Sold
---------------------------------------------------------------------
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Lyc. O-360 carbed, HARTZELL BA CS Prop, Dual P-MAGs, Dual Garmin G3X Touch
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Like EAA Chapter 1494 on Facebook

Last edited by Brantel : 08-22-2014 at 08:24 AM.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:32 AM

Brian pretty much nailed the differences between the GNS and GTN.
I also have used both and now have the GTN650.
I kinda like the older unit but I would do the 650 again if I was faced with the choice. I like that it does airways and love that it will auto convert to VLOC when approaching the ILS.
I just think my new plane needed the newest technology. Why put in dated equipment. I have the older GDU370 instead of the Touch and I like the format of mine but the processing speed of the Touch for Panning and zooming is incredible.
Catto three blade prop
http://www.mykitlog.com/MarkW
Old 08-22-2014, 08:43 AM

Default GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW View Post
Brian pretty much nailed the differences between the GNS and GTN.
I also have used both and now have the GTN650.
I kinda like the older unit but I would do the 650 again if I was faced with the choice. I like that it does airways and love that it will auto convert to VLOC when approaching the ILS.
I just think my new plane needed the newest technology. Why put in dated equipment. I have the older GDU370 instead of the Touch and I like the format of mine but the processing speed of the Touch for Panning and zooming is incredible.
Hello Mark,
Yes, it is a little clearer, now, but I think I need to do a little more research before deciding. I had forgotten that you had used the 400 series. I have changed projects and am now doing the 4. If both systems will get the job done as far as GPS approaches go, I would rather keep the budget down and go with the 400W. I will send you an email, and hopefully we can meet up to discuss it further.

Rock
Old 08-22-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid_ascent View Post
Mark,

Ray,
Knowing the guys at Garmin, you won't go wrong with either system. I am very pleased with my G3Xs and would recommend them anyone.
Best of luck,
Mark
Old 09-17-2014, 08:58 PM

I agonized over this same choice for a long time. I am just starting to work on my IFR rating and the GTN 650 gives me all of the approaches I will have to fly for the check ride. That's what made the difference for me and I now have a new GTN 650, from Stein, sitting on my bench waiting to be installed.
Where is Steve and the Sky Terrier?
RV-7A Slider, O-360 A1A, Catto 3 blade, 2 screen Garmin G3X Classic, GTN 650, Bionics APRS. FLYING since June 24, 2009
EAA Chapter 21
Old 10-02-2014, 05:03 PM

Post Deleted

Last edited by FasGlas : 11-01-2014 at 01:27 AM.