VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

-POSTING RULES
-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

  #871  
Old 08-21-2014, 07:45 PM
rapid_ascent rapid_ascent is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Dublin, CA
Posts: 1,622
Default

Mark,

I like those G3X panels. I was originally thinking of a similar setup, but with the new touch model now I'm confused about what I should do. I wish Garmin would give some insight on the lifetime of the non-touch units.
__________________
Ray Tonks
2022 Donation Paid
Titan IOX-370, Dual PMAGs, 9.6:1 Pistons, FM-150
RV-7 Fuselage in progress
* Cabin Interior - In progress
RV-7 SB Wings
* Both Wings fully skinned
* Fuel Tanks Complete - No leaks finally
* Ailerons Complete
* Flaps Complete
RV-7 Empennage - Complete (a little fiberglass work left)
Vans Training Kit # 2 - Complete
RV-7 Preview Plans
Vans Training Kit #1 - Complete
EAA Sheet Metal Class - Complete
Reply With Quote
  #872  
Old 08-21-2014, 08:08 PM
grayforge's Avatar
grayforge grayforge is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 886
Default

I never played with the original G3X to any extent, but the Touch panels are amazingly intuitive. I think of something that would make sense with the panel, try it, and often, it works. But maybe I should read the manual someday anyway. :-)
__________________
Speed Is Life

VAF Donation made: 1/28/2020, My RV-7A Build Log
Reply With Quote
  #873  
Old 08-22-2014, 07:02 AM
Brantel's Avatar
Brantel Brantel is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Newport, TN
Posts: 7,513
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid_ascent View Post
Mark,

I like those G3X panels. I was originally thinking of a similar setup, but with the new touch model now I'm confused about what I should do. I wish Garmin would give some insight on the lifetime of the non-touch units.
I highly suggest the Touch if you can swing it. Way better technology under the hood of those! It really is more than just a new Touch interface and wider screen. Look at the difference in the GTN vs the GNS series... The difference between the original G3X and the Touch is better than that!
__________________
Brantel (Brian Chesteen),
Check out my RV-10 builder's BLOG
RV-10, #41942, N?????, Project Sold
---------------------------------------------------------------------
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Lyc. O-360 carbed, HARTZELL BA CS Prop, Dual P-MAGs, Dual Garmin G3X Touch
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Like EAA Chapter 1494 on Facebook
Reply With Quote
  #874  
Old 08-22-2014, 07:56 AM
Rock Rock is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 44
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantel View Post
I highly suggest the Touch if you can swing it. Way better technology under the hood of those! It really is more than just a new Touch interface and wider screen. Look at the difference in the GTN vs the GNS series... The difference between the original G3X and the Touch is better than that!
Really? I asked a question about the differences between the 400W and 650 on this site a few days ago and the reply I got was that, aside from the
"obvious" of not having a com and vor/ils capability, that I would not lose much by going with the 400W. Now, I'm even More confused!
Would one of the G3experts chime in and please, tell of some of the enhancements of the GTN650 over the 400W? I was at Oshkosh and saw a lot of what the GTN series is capable of, but not much was discussed about your older equipment. I'm getting close to ordering my avionics and would like to make an educated decision about my certified GPS system.

Rock
Reply With Quote
  #875  
Old 08-22-2014, 08:03 AM
Brantel's Avatar
Brantel Brantel is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Newport, TN
Posts: 7,513
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
Really? I asked a question about the differences between the 400W and 650 on this site a few days ago and the reply I got was that, aside from the
"obvious" of not having a com and vor/ils capability, that I would not lose much by going with the 400W. Now, I'm even More confused!
Would one of the G3experts chime in and please, tell of some of the enhancements of the GTN650 over the 400W? I was at Oshkosh and saw a lot of what the GTN series is capable of, but not much was discussed about your older equipment. I'm getting close to ordering my avionics and would like to make an educated decision about my certified GPS system.

Rock
Relax....When used with the G3X, from the G3X perspective, most likely you would not even be able to tell the difference between which model was connected to the G3X.

You won't lose any meaningful functionality but you will miss the benefits of a better user interface (yes some argue touch is not better but it is more than just touch I am talking about) and new hardware technology platform (more modern electronics, faster processors etc). The GNS series is a fine unit and there are thousands of them in use every day around the world.

Bottom line however is that for the typical RV builder the functional differences are minor and you will be well served by either one.

I have owned and used both the GNS430W and the GTN650 and both do the job they are expected to do just fine.

Some enhancements of the GTN over the GNS w WAAS:

Higher resolution/brighter screen
Faster Processor (smooth panning and zooming)
Touch Interface (some love it and some hate it but most haters have never actually used it. In reality it is mostly a non issue...)
Prettier Graphics and Icons
Much more refined and shallower user interface. The GNS uses a bunch of tiered menus. The GTN is much more flat and intuitive.
More modern design using more modern electronics
The GTN has airways and safetaxi
The GTN has more flight plan and waypoint storage
The GTN has more optional features and interfaces available

Also consider the fact that the GNS is the older model and that Garmin has already produced a replacement series in the GTN. Garmin most likely will eventually end support for the GNS series and this is a major thing to consider.....

If it were my money and I could swing the difference in cost (which I understand is not that great in the grand scheme of things), I would pick the GTN over the GNS.
__________________
Brantel (Brian Chesteen),
Check out my RV-10 builder's BLOG
RV-10, #41942, N?????, Project Sold
---------------------------------------------------------------------
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Lyc. O-360 carbed, HARTZELL BA CS Prop, Dual P-MAGs, Dual Garmin G3X Touch
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Like EAA Chapter 1494 on Facebook

Last edited by Brantel : 08-22-2014 at 08:24 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #876  
Old 08-22-2014, 08:32 AM
MarkW's Avatar
MarkW MarkW is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Edgewater, FL. X50
Posts: 1,176
Default

Brian pretty much nailed the differences between the GNS and GTN.
I also have used both and now have the GTN650.
I kinda like the older unit but I would do the 650 again if I was faced with the choice. I like that it does airways and love that it will auto convert to VLOC when approaching the ILS.
I just think my new plane needed the newest technology. Why put in dated equipment. I have the older GDU370 instead of the Touch and I like the format of mine but the processing speed of the Touch for Panning and zooming is incredible.
__________________
Mark
RV9 - N14MW - Flying
G3X - ECI Titan I0-320
Catto three blade prop
http://www.mykitlog.com/MarkW
Reply With Quote
  #877  
Old 08-22-2014, 08:43 AM
Rock Rock is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 44
Default GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW View Post
Brian pretty much nailed the differences between the GNS and GTN.
I also have used both and now have the GTN650.
I kinda like the older unit but I would do the 650 again if I was faced with the choice. I like that it does airways and love that it will auto convert to VLOC when approaching the ILS.
I just think my new plane needed the newest technology. Why put in dated equipment. I have the older GDU370 instead of the Touch and I like the format of mine but the processing speed of the Touch for Panning and zooming is incredible.
Hello Mark,
Yes, it is a little clearer, now, but I think I need to do a little more research before deciding. I had forgotten that you had used the 400 series. I have changed projects and am now doing the 4. If both systems will get the job done as far as GPS approaches go, I would rather keep the budget down and go with the 400W. I will send you an email, and hopefully we can meet up to discuss it further.

Rock
Reply With Quote
  #878  
Old 08-22-2014, 11:54 AM
MarkChristopher MarkChristopher is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid_ascent View Post
Mark,

I like those G3X panels. I was originally thinking of a similar setup, but with the new touch model now I'm confused about what I should do. I wish Garmin would give some insight on the lifetime of the non-touch units.
Ray,
Knowing the guys at Garmin, you won't go wrong with either system. I am very pleased with my G3Xs and would recommend them anyone.
Best of luck,
Mark
Reply With Quote
  #879  
Old 09-17-2014, 08:58 PM
newtech's Avatar
newtech newtech is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evansville, Indiana
Posts: 663
Default

I agonized over this same choice for a long time. I am just starting to work on my IFR rating and the GTN 650 gives me all of the approaches I will have to fly for the check ride. That's what made the difference for me and I now have a new GTN 650, from Stein, sitting on my bench waiting to be installed.
__________________
______________________
Steve Eberhart, W9JUQ
3EV - Evansville, IN
Where is Steve and the Sky Terrier?
RV-7A Slider, O-360 A1A, Catto 3 blade, 2 screen Garmin G3X Classic, GTN 650, Bionics APRS. FLYING since June 24, 2009
EAA Chapter 21
Reply With Quote
  #880  
Old 10-02-2014, 05:03 PM
FasGlas's Avatar
FasGlas FasGlas is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Idaho ID40
Posts: 783
Default

Post Deleted

Last edited by FasGlas : 11-01-2014 at 01:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:48 PM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.