-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:58 PM

A few thoughts on the SkyView, now that I have had a chance to play with it.

The display is just awesome! I like that you can adjust the display. For example, if you don?t like vertical fuel level displays, you can change them to round gauges and then adjust the size of them.

The AoA is much better than the D100?s AoA and calibrating it is easier. The increasing beeping is a great indicator of how close you are to stalling and more useful than the chevrons displayed down on the screen.

The compass rose that changes to a G meter when pulling some G?s is pretty cool too.

The synthetic vision, velocity vector, and other features that one expects of such a system continues to impress.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 06-18-2012, 10:05 AM

Bill,

Keep posting.
I am several months behind you (probably more). Observations, tips and hints are eagerly read and filed away.
As Bill Stout (designer of the Ford Trimotor) used to say, ?Simplicate and add Lightness?
Old 06-19-2012, 09:57 PM

Listen mate, you raving about the "Skyview" is not helping. I wanted to get the Skyview but as both you Bill's know (if the second Bill is who I think it is) I went with the "D180" because of weight reasons........ now what can I remove from the 9a that will allow me to install a Skyview........ perhaps I could remove the tires from the wheels and only land on grass strips........hmmmmm.

?Simplicate and add Lightness? (I like that Bill)

Bob & Robyn Dennis (Australia)
RV9a (empty weight 893 lb)
Old 06-21-2012, 11:12 AM

Bob,

I really liked my old panel with the D100 EFIS and D10 EMS! They worked great and I can't say enough about them.

When the opportunity came along to install the SkyView I jumped on it. The upgrade was a major PITA and it would be much easier to do during the initial build. That said, I'm glad I did the upgrade.

The SkyView is just outstanding!
SC86 - Easley, SC
Old 06-21-2012, 07:44 PM

Unhappy

GOOD ON YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! mumble mumble mumble......rub it in....mumble mumble
Old 11-02-2012, 08:50 PM

I realized that I never posted a picture of the finished panel.

That is a 10" Dynon SkyView on the left, Garmin 496 at the top of the radio stack, Sigtronics 200S and ELT panel under the 496, and iCom A210.

On the right side is a Dynon D1 PocketPanel and below that is the EICommander.

Further to the right is my dual power port and last but not least is the Carbon Monoxide detector.

In the center is a DJM throttle quadrant, which I highly recommend.

The 496 was left in the plane because I knew how it worked and it gives me weather.

Missing from the picture is the transponder. That is now incorporated into the SkyView, thus no panel space is taken up by it.

This has turned out to be a very functional VFR panel and easy to fly with, not to mention easy to make.
SC86 - Easley, SC

Last edited by N941WR : 11-02-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:44 AM

With just 103 hours on the new engine (O-360) I found the baffle cracked vertically just aft of the #4 cylinder, where it supports the oil cooler. This surprised me because I thought the plenum would have offered enough support, but apparently not.

Rather than try doing the same thing I had done with the O-290 I elected to nestle a piece of heavy duty aluminum angle in the corner. I rounded the edge of the AA and riveted it to some new baffle pieces from Van’s. In addition, I widened the spacing for the oil cooler holes so it would better fit the Stewart-Warner cooler I installed.

With well over 100 hours on this fix, there isn’t any sign of cracking:
SC86 - Easley, SC
Old 02-08-2013, 05:10 PM

I had the exact same issue with my 0-320 baffle... And I made an almost identical repair. I think this is a fairly common problem, I've seen it on a 7A with an IO-360. Anybody doing a new build might be well served to add a stiffener angle now rather than repairing it later.
RV-12 #120370 co-builder
KBST, Belfast, Maine
Old 02-08-2013, 06:38 PM

Bill-
Are you still using the cross-brace (b/w the left rear baffle and the left side baffle) on the 0-360 like you did on the 0-290? (Wonder if having that on the new engine didn't stop the problem or whether not using it on the new engine might have contributed to the problem.)

Donation reminder: Jan. 2022
Old 02-08-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinelakespilot2000 View Post
Bill-
Are you still using the cross-brace (b/w the left rear baffle and the left side baffle) on the 0-360 like you did on the 0-290? (Wonder if having that on the new engine didn't stop the problem or whether not using it on the new engine might have contributed to the problem.)
No Steve, I did not put that brace on the O-360. The reason is that with the O-360 I have the cooling plenum, which I thought would serve in place of the brace. The O-290 had almost 200 hours on it when it met it demise and there were no cracks of any kind when I removed those baffles. (They now flying on another plane and I wonder how they are holding up.)

One of the possible contributing factors might have been that I installed a Stewart-Warner 10599R. Everyone told me this was a drop in replacement for the Niagara cooler that comes with the kit. Well, that is not exactly true as the S-W cooler is slightly wider and when bolting it in I might have put some stress on the baffles. It cracked less than 53 after I put in the new oil cooler

When I put the AA in place, I moved the platenuts outboard just a little bit and now the S-W and the Niagara are interchangeable.

I wish Van would make the the oil coolers truly interchangeable.
SC86 - Easley, SC