Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV Building Tips/Techniques
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2020, 11:40 AM

Default Cameras for documenting the build

I am about to begin construction on my Rv-10 and I would like to document the process. I see quite a few youtube videos where people have cameras mounted in their shops and speed it up in a time lapse format. I would like to set that up in my shop. I don't have internet out there, so I will need something that records to some removable storage that I can take to the office for editing.

Does anybody have any recommendations on a good setup for a couple of cameras?
Old 06-25-2020, 11:49 AM

You can set up a go pro camera to take pictures at a specified interval for time lapse. Later on you can put it in the cockpit with a simple adapter in the headset cord to record both video and audio during flight.
Fuselage in process
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...t=all&listcat=
Old 06-25-2020, 12:06 PM

You can also get cameras that are motion triggered, always on. We used an AXIS camera for the build, it just fired up anytime someone walked in and sent video to my Mac. Don't forget to back up your videos.

Also, if you do use a motion trigger, don't forget to take out the bits where you come down in the middle of the night butt-*** naked to turn off the compressor, the FSDO wasn't amused
RV-14A #140376
N196 (Flying)
2019 Bronze Lindy
Old 06-25-2020, 12:14 PM

+1 on the GoPro set to time lapse. Just point it at the action. At the end of the day just play it like a movie and pull out the images you want and toss the rest. No special software needed.
I keep maybe a half a dozen out of 2500 images.

RV-7 Slider #74572
Started 11/2016
Empennage completed 11/2016 (sans fiberglass)
Ailerons and flaps completed 3/2017.
Wings completed 12/2017
Started on QB fuselage 01/2018
Sliding canopy mostly completed 10/2020
Wiring and Avionics harness completed 9/2/2021
FWF Started 9/3/2021

Donated for 2021 and so should you
Old 06-25-2020, 01:16 PM

Are the go pro batteries good enough to last the day?

It seems like mine is always dead. Come to think of it, I?d hate to have to worry about charging it up every time I went to the shop for a few minutes.

I do like the idea of the motion detecting ones, but again, I don?t have WiFi in my shop so the auto transfer is going to be an issue. I?d like to just walk in and stick a thumb drive into it and get to work.
Old 06-25-2020, 01:29 PM

https://wyze.com/wyze-cam.html

hard to beat this for $20, it's designed to be connected to the internet but does have a micro sd that can record 2-3 days at a time in HD w/ a 32GB card much longer if SD is ok.

FAQ about offline use: https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us...et-connection-
Old 06-25-2020, 02:02 PM

Default Wyze

Quote:
Originally Posted by odens_14 View Post
https://wyze.com/wyze-cam.html

hard to beat this for $20, it's designed to be connected to the internet but does have a micro sd that can record 2-3 days at a time in HD w/ a 32GB card much longer if SD is ok.

FAQ about offline use: https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us...et-connection-
I have several. Awesome little canera for the price. Not sure if it does single frame. It does have motion and sound trigger as well as area isolation. Pretty easy to set up an area to look for motion. It records a 12 second file when triggered. You can also pull the micro SD card and use the looped video. Mine record over 24 hours. Also they allow access to others for viewing if you want the family to be able to see you. If connected to WIFI, access allows the person to talk and hear through the cam. Pretty cool for $20.
I use them as nature and security cams.
Donated 01/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
Empennage, wings, fuse, finishing kit, now FWF
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 06-25-2020, 03:25 PM

I purchased a dedicated Time Lapse camera. Looks like it is no longer available from Amazon.

When I purchased it, I could have gone a lot cheaper but it took more work on my part. I also wanted 1080P but settled for 720 because of cost and availability.

It appears that they have a newer model now. Amazon has it but it is about twice the price than the one I purchased years ago.

Here is my RV-8 wing build video taken with the TLC200 of my wing build. Work was done over two or three years in two different states. Video was combined into one single file using free iMovie on a Mac. 357 hours of work compressed into 2-minutes 20-seconds. I used 1 image every 5-minutes played back at 30-frames per second.
3,400+ hours
Where is N157GS
Building RV-8 S/N: 80012

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
Old 06-25-2020, 03:44 PM

Default cool video

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV6_flyer View Post
...Here is my RV-8 wing build video taken with the TLC200 of my wing build. Work was done over two or three years in two different states. Video was combined into one single file using free iMovie on a Mac. 357 hours of work compressed into 2-minutes 20-seconds. I used 1 image every 5-minutes played back at 30-frames per second.
Gary, that was far cooler than I thought it would be! I will certainly do this for my next build.
Old 06-25-2020, 04:13 PM

The more I think about it while I like the wyze cam I suggested as a video feed,a dedicated time-lapse camera, like what Gary listed, would be wayyy better for what you're thinking about. just the amount of time you'd save on even very simple editing if it came out all ready to go would be huge. The time saved vs editing a video feed would likely be worth the extra money and then some over a 1,000 plus hr build!