Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2020, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
On caravans I've seen guys put the control lock in upside down intentionally to prevent scratching the panels with the flag. This puts the flag on the other side of the yoke, safely not scratching up the panel, but not even close to blocking anything.

Fedex lost a caravan to this very thing a number of years ago. No matter how full proof you make something, there is always a way to defeat it.

As far as using the seat belt as a gust lock, on some airplanes, that's the only way to keep them from flopping around as they weren't designed with a gust lock in mind.
Of course there will always be pilots that circumvent such devices, that's called a deliberate irresponsible act, something beyond the makers intentions! I never use my seatbelt, it can get damaged as they are not designed for anything other than holding a person. I have a long length of "hook&Loop" strap that I wrap around the control stick and secure it to the seat frame.
Old 06-23-2020, 06:57 AM

Default CHIFF check

every time, before applying final power I do a CHIFF check

CHIFF

C canopy closed latched, controls free

H Harness secure

I Both ignitions on

F Fuel on, Fuel amount, Fuel correct tank, Boost pump on

F Flaps

This is of course not a full checklist, it is an additional final check of those things that I feel are necessary to double check and are crucial for a take off in the RVs and Rockets that I fly.

Every plane and pilot are different but some things are gotchas for plane and pilot
2010 SARL Rocket 100 race, average speed of 238.6 knots/274.6mph
RV4, RV7, RV10, two HRIIs and five F1 Rockets
RV14 Tail dragger

Fairlea Field
St.Thomas, Ontario Canada, CYQS
fairleafield@gmail.com
Old 06-23-2020, 07:41 AM

Default So Sad

My heart and prayers go out to the family. I try to never make a public comment (or private in many cases) about an accident that I have no first hand knowledge of.

With that said, checklists are life savers and I like Doug's new checklist that he posted so I may ask for it when he is ready to share. One thing that we should all keep in mind is the pressure of our surroundings that may keep us from going through our checklist. I remember this one time when our airport was having a fly-in with lots of people watching, several of us wanted to do a tribute flyover in a formation but I was helping with the fly-in on the ground while all the other formation planes were already in the air circling the airport waiting for me. I was very rushed, got in my plane that I had flown a few hours earlier, and didn't check fuel, oil, walk around, etc. Cranked it up and started taxiing. It was a very hot day to boot and like I said, I was rushed. I was making my friends that were circling the airport wait on me and all the spectators were waiting as well. Well, I did a quick run up and moved on to the runway... started applying full throttle and felt this wonderful rush of air in the hot summer heat. . . thought to myself, man that feels good . Then, a split second before the wheels came off I noticed the my canopy (RV-7 Slider) was just wide open . Obviously baulk take off, stopped, got off the runway, taxi back and did my checklist and slowed down. At that moment I was more embarrassed than anything else, but it taught me once again not to ever be in a rush to take-off or in a rush to get somewhere. We make bad decisions or just skip over an entire phase of decision making when we are in a hurry, I know I do.
RV-10 - Sold

Supporting VAF since the first visit
Old 06-23-2020, 08:06 AM

moved to another post, per DR's suggestion above.

Last edited by 1001001 : 06-23-2020 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Per DR's post above
Old 06-24-2020, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCP Boys View Post
[...] checklists are life savers and I like Doug's new checklist that he posted so I may ask for it when he is ready to share. One thing that we should all keep in mind is the pressure of our surroundings that may keep us from going through our checklist. I remember this one time [...]
Yup. I wish I could say I've always been 100% immune to hurry-up-itis, but I can not in all honesty do so. While I know that "I would never make that mistake", I know of at least two instances where the guy probably thought the same thing, and now they're dead.

We build redundancy into our systems, it only makes sense to do that with our processes. I always use my written pre-takeoff checklist including "controls free and correct". But to back that up I never lock down controls using the passenger side. It's a stone simple thing that has no downside and adds to the overall safety margin.
Airport committee chair & AOPA ASNV for Seaside, OR Municipal (56S), www.seasideairport.org
Donated August and November 2021
Old 06-24-2020, 10:09 PM

Default Last action before advancing the throttle should be a control check

During the 1950?s there was a gentleman who took his lady friend on a flight in a tandem aircraft. As they took off his controls were jammed and they stalled and crashed with an ensuing fire. Both occupants survived a short while before succumbing that day. The cause of the accident is the lady had worn high heels for the date. While getting into the aircraft unbeknownst to either person the very bottom of her high heel came off leaving the little nail protruding from her heel. As she sat down, the nail penetrated the flooring and pinned the control cable in one spot. That resulted in the loss of control on takeoff unfortunately. Crazy things did and can happen. I suggest the last thing you do before slipping the surly bonds is a complete control check just prior to advancing the throttle. Be safe out there!