-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 05-11-2020, 07:27 AM

Check out Fusion 360 by Autocad. They have some tutorials on how to make an enclosure around small electronic devices, like raspberry pi. I have an Ultimaker 2+ and a Form2. If you have an enclosure, I'd be happy to print it for you.

Jeff
Old 05-11-2020, 08:12 AM

Default Thanks for the offer :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnjhirsch View Post
Check out Fusion 360 by Autocad. They have some tutorials on how to make an enclosure around small electronic devices, like raspberry pi. I have an Ultimaker 2+ and a Form2. If you have an enclosure, I'd be happy to print it for you.

Jeff
Hey Jeff. Thank you! I will look into that. I have an Anet A8 but you get what you pay for... and 80$ including shipping...Well I am happy that it prints at all.

Is there a free version of the fusion? I have been using Vectorworks at the my university computer lab to do stuff but I can only do pretty basic stuff. Then I throw it into cura and print with the Anet. But I could try to design a case and print a rough version and if it fits I can get back to you for a clean print.
Cessna Rocket 210HP - Best dang 172 Ever made! (sold)
Old 05-11-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7ForMe View Post
Hey Jeff. Thank you! I will look into that. I have an Anet A8 but you get what you pay for... and 80$ including shipping...Well I am happy that it prints at all.

Is there a free version of the fusion? I have been using Vectorworks at the my university computer lab to do stuff but I can only do pretty basic stuff. Then I throw it into cura and print with the Anet. But I could try to design a case and print a rough version and if it fits I can get back to you for a clean print.
Yes. Free for up to a year for qualified folks. Essentially, not using it for commercial porpuses. It's very granular but has extensive tutorials, which are great. Lots of You-tube help, too. I would check out their website.

I have a free one-year educational subscription. If you like learning this nerdy stuff, which I think you do, I think you will really like it.
Old 05-11-2020, 10:47 AM

Quote:
[...] Is there a free version of the fusion? [...]
https://www.autodesk.com/campaigns/f...-for-hobbyists

Fusion 360 is awesome! I started with Solidworks, but prefer Fusion 360 for my small DIY projects.

Btw.: If your're an EAA member, you can get Solidworks for free.
https://www.eaa.org/eaa/eaa-membersh...esource-center
Old 05-11-2020, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Following up on post from last year. I finished the Flap / Wig Wag Controller.

It is much nicer now. It took forever but I feel like it is ready to test in the real thing. So far it has been my daily passenger in the car. Pretty good way to check GPS speeds and such. YES, YES, I know I wish my car had wings too.

Since I wasn't sure what switch I like best I designed it in a way that it can connect to both a rotary switch or a Momentary UP/DWN switch. Works great.

I also have integrated panel position lights. That will give me an visible position of the Flap position selected. That is especially useful for the Mom Sw.

I wish my airplane was flying so I could try this out today... Guess I'll have to find a curious fellow RV flyer.

What does it do?
-Reads GPS grounds Speed.
-Over set speed the landing lights will WIG WAG
-Under set speed the landing lights will go steady ON
-Over max flap speed the deploying flaps will not work, but the will come up if you choose so
-Under max flap speed deploying flaps will work normally
-If GPS signal is faulty, unstable or not available the systems deactivates and Landing lights go steady on and flap deployment is available at all speeds
-It will read the flap position and give it out in a format that the G3X system will read, eliminating the need for another pos sensor.
(I assume it works on Dynon as well but I have only had a G3X to test)

Specs:
-System uses 0,09A at 13.5V = 1.2W
-System weighs 0.25lbs / 113g
-2x DSBUB 25 Pin (I used 2 pins per wire for the high Power items)
-There is a hookup for an external GPS antenna in case I want to mount this under the floor board next to the flap motor. So that should not be an issue.
-I will need a box but my "el cheapo" china 3d printer doesn't print any nice quality stuff. It's really just good for prototyping. ideas?
I use a qidi tech 1, essentially a dual extruder makerbot II clone. I've upgraded to a borosilicate glass bed and all metal extruders (around $100 total) its really nice. I produce some replacement porsche parts and tooling with it. mostly print abs and tpu.

I use openscad because I like parametric designs, simplify3d to slice.

I really dislike blocking flap deployment on groundspeed. That could cause delayed flap access for a significant amount of airspeed. It would be better to take a serial a/s reading. I know that's possible to pull from grt avionics, pretty much any AHRS should allow that and some "all in one" units should as well.
Old 05-11-2020, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkman View Post
I really dislike blocking flap deployment on groundspeed. That could cause delayed flap access for a significant amount of airspeed. It would be better to take a serial a/s reading. I know that's possible to pull from grt avionics, pretty much any AHRS should allow that and some "all in one" units should as well.
Yes, you are right. Another member was kind enough to point that out via PM already.

I looked into hooking up to the static and getting actual airspeed. Decided I did not want enter the static system.

I have open connection ready for the Avionic direct hook up if I can manage to read it with the Arduino. Based on a few post by other on the topic that is possible. I just haven't messed with it because I don't have a G3x that is flying to play with. I am aware that the GPS may not be ideal. That's what I will have to test to see how good it works.

I have not seen any available options that will work with a rotary swtich. So even if I never use the GPS block it still worth the effort. For the wigwag it really doesn't matter if a head or tailwind may change the speed a bit. IMHO
Old 05-30-2020, 06:43 PM

Arrow #69

Not much building done lately. But this hobby comes with an addiction to buying tools...Sometimes just because I feel like I "need" them.

This Bosch Blue Saw is the latest n greates in my tool box... Well I kind of wanted to see what she can do. A delight to work with. I am now wondering if I can and should get an aluminum cutting disk for it. Sure would make cutting stock parts a breeze. Did I mention the laser? YAY!

Anyway. Here she is:

and here is the first thing that got build out of scrap pieced of wood. This is my version of the rib straightener that I found in the forums. It is supposed to make this work much more "enjoyable". Looks like 11? is pretty darn close. I may try 12? to see if that's better or too much. With the saw I can actually just set it to the desired degree and 2 seconds later ...How cool is that ? DONE!

Old 05-31-2020, 06:15 PM

Arrow #70

Ok. Back to building. To be honest I have been ready to start for a bit but the perfect expensive goldish looking spar is kind of intimidating. And the plans are really not holding my hand any more at this point.

So took me a while to actually start. First Cut is the deepest.... So today I spend 4 hours drilling #40 and CSinking the all the wholes of the nutplates that attach the Tanks and acces panels. Hope I didn't already make any mistakes.

I also spend some time taping everything up. Read that on another build log and it seemed like a good idea. Kind of a waste of perfectly good tape but o well.

Old 05-31-2020, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Ok. Back to building. To be honest I have been ready to start for a bit but the perfect expensive goldish looking spar is kind of intimidating. And the plans are really not holding my hand any more at this point.

So took me a while to actually start. First Cut is the deepest.... So today I spend 4 hours drilling #40 and CSinking the all the wholes of the nutplates that attach the Tanks and acces panels. Hope I didn't already make any mistakes.

I also spend some time taping everything up. Read that on another build log and it seemed like a good idea. Kind of a waste of perfectly good tape but o well.

That tape is a very good idea indeed! I was glad I taped right there too.
Amazing how chips can work their way into little crevasses when exposed. Keep on keeping on!
Exempt but gladly paying!
Old 06-03-2020, 08:31 AM

Arrow #71

Although Not building related but it reminded me what a capable plane I am building. Went up in the other -7A yesterday and did a 4 leg box speed run at 5000ft at full everything. I am a bit disappointed it didn't match the VANS numbers but maybe I need to do it again at 8000ft. 8500? at what alt are the vans numbers done?

Vans Lyc 180HP M1B
Vans Hartzell 72" C/S.
2 People.
5000ft density alt
14?C
2700RPM