-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 03-07-2020, 04:49 PM

I just bought new hearing aids from Costco ? Philips HearLink 9010 Behind-the-Ear. I have been wearing hearing aids for 25 years. I have profound hearing loss and these aids are superb. The hearing aids are Bluetooth and have a Telecoil which is normally used with a land-line telephone handset.

I had the audiologist give me a special program selectable from my iPhone that we titled ?airplane?. This program enables the Telecoil and also shuts off the microphone in both hearing aids. Shutting off the microphone prevents feedback when the aviation headset is placed over the ears. Zero feedback of any kind. The Telecoils in the hearing aids sense the electromagnetic field from the speakers in the headset earcups and reproduce the sounds thru the hearing aid receivers in your ears. The sound is very high quality and word recognition is very good.

In addition to the Telecoil for normal comm and intercom communication, I will also use the Bluetooth capability to connect the LightSpeed Zulu3 to my mini iPad running ForeFlight in order to hear alerts such as Traffic and Terrain warnings.

I have an extended cross-country planned for tomorrow to try these features in the airplane. My situational awareness should be greatly improved. Should be a big day?
Jim Stricker - EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC N86203
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub N6841H
Bought Flying RV-12 #120058 Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 750

LSRM-A Certificate 2016 for RV-12 N633CM
Special Thanks... EJ Trucks - USN Crew Chief A-4 Skyhawk
MJ Stricker (Father - CFI) - USAAF 1st Lt. Captain B-17H
Old 03-08-2020, 01:23 AM

definitely interested in your pirep on the telecoil...I've been planning on getting some telecoil aids to replace my current Costco aids, but I thought you needed a neck loop to plug into the audio output jack from the radio ...

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=neckloop+...nb_sb_ss_i_1_8

https://www.hlaabq.com/Neck_Loops_-_HL_Mag.pdf

Last edited by Jake14 : 03-08-2020 at 01:30 AM.
Old 03-08-2020, 04:04 PM

Today I flew a 4 hour x-country with my new hearing aids and Zulu3 headset using Telecoil program per above post. My observations follow:

? Zero feedback of any kind
? ANR works fabulous
? Comm/Intercom volumes are both very good
? Word recognition and clarity are both excellent
? ATC is easy to understand
? Headset ear cup sealing not critical because no chance for feedback with hearing aid microphone turned off
? My situational awareness is greatly improved.

Old 04-05-2020, 08:48 AM

Update to above post?

I forgot to mention that hearing aid microphones need to be muted when using telecoil program. This prevents background noise, and more importantly, feedback. Hearing aid volume setting for telecoil program needs to turned down as well. This doesn?t really turn down the volume - it kills the ignition noise from the engine and electronics which are sources of EMF.

The telecoil does not respond to acoustic sounds, rather it responds only to Electro Motive Force (EMF) or electromagnetic induction. It?s like two-halves of a transformer ? one half is the speaker coil in the headset and the other half is the telecoil in the hearing aid.

I?ve been flying for 50 years and this is the first time I am able to enjoy true Active Noise Reduction with extraordinary word recognition from both intercom and comm radios.

I?m trying to get LightSpeed Aviation to feature this on their "Aviation No Tie Downs" Video Series so older pilots with profound hearing loss can enjoy good quiet communication while flying?

Old 04-05-2020, 09:40 AM

Good info Jim.........I am following your posts.
D100-KMD150-660-TT ADI2- AS air/oil seperator. Vetterman exhaust with turndown tips.
Louisa, Virginia KLKU N94TB
Old 04-05-2020, 07:00 PM

Default Thanks Jim for the great information on hearing aids.

Following this closely Jim.
It would be helpful if you could fly in an RV6,7 or 8; to see if you experience these same results in an aircraft that produces louder cockpit noise.
Thank You.
Flying Oregon RV-6
Old 04-05-2020, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LettersFromFlyoverCountry View Post
Just wondering if there are any pilots here with severe hearing loss using two hearing aids who've come up with a solution to properly amplify the radio.
Do you have an airman medical? I'd say the best Noise canceling headset with good hear-aid (ear amplifiers tuned for voice only). I'm not a doctor but assume an audiologist ENT doctor has been consulted. All the best.

2021 Dues Paid
Old 07-23-2020, 08:20 AM

Default Phonak Marvel hearing aids

Is anybody using Phonak Marvel aids with an ANR headset? My hearing aid supplier (Blamey Saunders, Australia) now has them available and is offering an attractive deal. Blamey Saunders aids work really well with my DC One-X, especially in telecoil mode. I like the idea of being able to use the Phonak aids through the iPhone but need to be sure they will work with the One X.

Jack
Old 07-23-2020, 09:01 AM

It shouldn’t matter which mgr hearing aid or which mgr headset. Headset doesn’t necessarily have to be ANR but it enhances the experience.

The key is that the hearing aid must have telecoil and ability to shut of hearing aid microphone. Have your audiologist give you a cell phone app program titled “Airplane”. This program should have volume turned very low and microphone permanently muted. Volume set low eliminates EMF from airplane electrical circuits and engine ignition.

Cell phone will still allow calls to stream to telecoil and I would imagine you can play music from cell phone directly to telecoil program as well.

Having microphone shut off completely illuminates feedback when headset is worn over the hearing aids – dead quiet. Telecoil provides excellent high-fidelity sound. The crowning grace is having ANR block out any background noise.

Old 07-24-2020, 07:18 PM

Thanks Jim. I couldn’t wear my earlier hearing aids with a headset because of feedback but the newer ones (increased processing capacity) are fine even in normal mode. They really shine however in telecoil mode. My audiologist has them set for 25% microphone, 75% telecoil. That provides a more ‘normal’ general sound but still with the telecoil clarity.
The only electrical noise I get is a low level clicking on the ground but it disappears completely with the increased noise in flight. Strangely, it reduces if I move my head away from the roll bar - can’t figure that one out. I have also been flying a PA 236 lately and I can hear the strobes with telecoil but not really a problem.
VAF is great - I hadn’t been aware that headsets would broadcast to telecoil until I came across this thread.

Jack