Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2019, 11:46 PM

Default LIGO

Nice pics Bert. A friend in Baton Rouge wanted to fly over LIGO then do the guided tour. We did both. The legs are each 4km long. When gravity waves pass over the facility the length of the legs is changed and the laser interferometer measures the difference in length between the legs. The difference due to gravity waves is less than the width of a proton. That's a new standard of precision for even the most ocd RV builders to think about. John

Last edited by jpowell13 : 07-20-2019 at 11:22 PM.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:03 AM

Very interesting pictures of LIGO.

I've read a description of all the data postprocessing required to extract a signal from the LIGO data. The device is an exceptionally sensitive seismometer. One has to somehow subtract out all manner of signals many orders of magnitude larger than any gravity wave signal, in order to detect the desired gravity waves. This also includes removing test signals at multiple frequencies always present(?). Then also comparing to signals from the other LIGO sites to verify proper timing of signals given their geological distances apart, and the orientations of their sensor legs re. the possible orientations of incoming gravity waves.

Yes, they are literally trying to measure changes in length smaller than a proton, over a baseline leg length of miles.

I've read a European technical paper which independently analyzed the initial gravity wave detection data, and concluded it was impossible to statistically state that an actual gravity wave signal had been detected, as opposed to resonances between test signals.

A very difficult scientific proposition, and a data postprocessing nightmare, upon which literally billions have been spent. Difficult to say whether this is an amazing breakthrough, or a boondoggle of epic proportions...

-Paragon
Cincinnati, OH
Old 07-20-2019, 05:45 AM

Default Harbor Freight must have them ?cheap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpowell13 View Post
The difference due to gravity waves is less than the width of a proton. That's a new standard of precision for even the most ocd RV builders to think about. John
Now can I just get a proton tape at Lowes or do I have to spend more and upgrade to a proton steel rule. Measure twice, cut once.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:05 PM

R-5314D

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:40 PM

The top photo is the Air Force target area in 5314A. Zoom in and be amused. You know you made a wrong turn when your GPS highway nav puts you on "Strafe Road", the dead ends at far right

Last edited by DanH : 08-14-2019 at 06:44 PM.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:33 AM

Looks like the Dare Co Bombing Range near Kitty Hawk.
Old 08-15-2019, 07:35 PM

Default Ahhh, the memories

I've dropped many a little blue bomb on that range. I've even been supersonic over the Alligator river on the way in...unintentionally. Lots of fun!
Old 08-15-2019, 10:01 PM

Top photo is Air Force Dare bombing range and with the trees cut back, looks like a .45 caliber bullet. The bottom is Navy Dare bombing range and it has a key hole shape. That is how you can tell the difference visually and on radar. The circle part of the Navy range had lights around the perimeter, just like the houses on the shore surrounding Stumpy Point Bay (the circular bay just past the ranges). Easy to get mixed up doing low level pop-up night dive bombing on a very dark night (don't ask how I know).
Old 08-16-2019, 05:36 AM

Default Memories

I put a lot of lead on that ground. Some of which actually went through the target! Came up to Dare from Myrtle Beach AFB (closed now), flying the A-7Ds (retired now) in 1974-77. I'm really starting to feel old now!
My Aerobatic Video
My Formation Video
CAF B-25 - Airbase Arizona
VAF 2022 Donor
Old 08-16-2019, 11:45 AM

Default Good Memories!

Beautiful photos! At first glance, it was ?I?ve seen that before.? Dropped a few BDU-33s, BDU-50s, and even exercised the M61A1 there flying with the 335th FS Chiefs 1995-1998. Wow, that was already a long time ago