Day one of wing construction!
It has been a while since I worked on anything. I have been at a halt since sometime in October. The empennage was done besides some fiberglass work and after my last application that didn?t dry due to low temperatures I quit working with fiberglass.
After getting my used wing kit into my shop I spend about 4 hours inventorying everything and labelling the hardware containers. Boy that took for ever!
I had some other things to do with school work and wasn?t able or didn?t allow myself to start build anything because I knew it would only distract me.
However last week I decided to start working on the flaps. The plans say it in the manual ?it is the easiest control surface
? I figured due to space issues in my shop starting here would be a good idea.
I read some build logs and noticed most guys only take like 10 -15 hours to finish the flaps. I must be really slow because I think it will take me way longer. I already spend about 10 hours and I have only finished all the drilling and fabricating all the parts required.
But let?s start at the beginning. I looked ad DWG 14A and got out all required parts. I deburred all the parts before assembly to make sure I won?t cut myself.
Next step I fabricated the FL-708. 4 of these are required.
I marked the one whole with an ?x? figuring the second whole doesn?t need to be marked as long as I have the center line.
After putting togeter the skeleton of the left and the right flap I spend about 20 minutes looking for the orientation of the right flap (not shown on the plans). Specifically the the FL-705 ribs? But it was very clearly on the drawing. I just didn?t see it right away.
After clecoing the bottom skin I drilled the most aft whole using the skin as a drill guide.
After that I drilled the whole into the ribs from the aft side with a shim made from the trim bundle. I had to pay attention while drilling this to stay within edge distance. It helped me to clamp everything down while drilling.
The plans call for a number 30# whole in this place so I drilled the whole again with a number #30
After that I drilled all the rest of the wholes of the bottom skin and the skeleton.
After fabricating the FL-706B I attached it to the FL-704 end rib. One whole, the one shown in this picture is already pre punched. With that I lined it up and drilled the rest of the wholes.
Here all wholes drilled.
Drilling the top row of wholes that goes through the end rib, spar and the FL-706A was a bit tricky because it was hard to aligning the wholes and clamping everything down and drilling the wholes, but I got it done.