Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 02:49 PM

The last two pics in the Flicker link of the RV rudder look like a bullet hole > if that's the case, what is the story behind those pics? Curious minds want to know - might as well get really scared.
RV14A (N14ZT), Ser#140195
Start 10/11/14; AWC Rcvd 7/21/21
Contribution made 12/2/20 (USArmy 2/67-2/70)
www.mykitlog.com/jeffw@sc47
Old 04-19-2018, 03:04 PM
Moderator, Asst. Line Boy

For the benefit of those newer builders who may not know this key point (never assume, right?): Bolts oriented vertically should be pointed downward, with the nut on the bottom. That way if the nut falls off, at least the bolt has a fighting chance to stay in place thanks to gravity. If the nut's on top and it falls off, the bolt can drop out as well...not good.

Sib, I am SUPREMELY grateful you made it safely onto the ground and showed us this.

BTW, I too want to more about that hole in the rudder.

Sid "Scroll" Mayeux, Col, USAF (ret)
52F NW Regional/Aero Valley Airport, Roanoke TX (home of DR's Van Cave)
"KELLI GIRL" N260KM RV-7A tipper
Catch her on YouTube's "Because I Fly!" channel

Exemption waived.
Proud and grateful 2021 -=VAF=- Contributor

PS: I am not an influencer. I have no influence. Just ask my kids.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffw@sc47 View Post
The last two pics in the Flicker link of the RV rudder look like a bullet hole > if that's the case, what is the story behind those pics? Curious minds want to know - might as well get really scared.
The location leads me to think that it might be a puncture caused by the elevator trim tab tip. This can happen very easily on an -A model without a gust lock.
USAF Vet, High School E-LSA Project Mentor.
RV-6 Flying since 1993 (sold)
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
Old 04-19-2018, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinelakespilot2000 View Post
Concerning indeed, especially given that a paid inspection happened.

That said, I'm curious if Scott or anyone else knows what the impact would be if the pushrod became disconnected. Absent it jamming, and acknowledging that you'd effectively lose the up control stop for the opposite (good) aileron, would control authority from the opposite aileron be sufficient to fly?
I?ve flown my 6A to about 50? over the numbers with just rudder, manual elevator trim, and throttle. Hands off the stick. Started about 2500? and set up a descent. Try it, it?s fun and something different to do. I convinced myself I could get it down, but it would probably get bent.
N164WM
N184WM reserved (RV-8)....finishing kit in progress. Titan IOX-370
N184P reserved (RV-8QB)
Old 04-19-2018, 03:22 PM

in this case, gravity on the bolt was working for you.

Simplicity is the art in design.
I was born an airplane nut. I have no explanation for it.
My Artwork is freely given and published and cannot be patented.
www.rvplasticparts.com
Old 04-19-2018, 03:37 PM

Wow! Good catch by the paint shop! Tip 'em an extra $50. So glad that the bolt managed to stay in place for your flights.

$2K for an inspection (which sounds way overpriced) and he didn't catch THAT? You can get a good DAR inspection for $500.

I've flown an r/c plane with only one aileron (a ParkZone T-28) and it was surprisingly controllable, with a slower roll rate. I discovered this after a mid-air that took 2/3rds of the left aileron and servo linkage clean off, along with a good chunk of the wing. Needless to say, I was tickled that the aircraft was still flying. But all bets are off if that surface jams.
Donation made for 2021
You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky -- Amelia Earhart

Last edited by rightrudder : 04-19-2018 at 03:49 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:02 PM

Default $2000

I have no issue with someone making money but if you truly paid $2000 for an inspection that dude owes you every penny back. Mistakes happen but there is simply no excuse to not have seen that. If a "friend" did a quick go over that is possible but at $50 or even $100 an hour....you paid for DAYS of very thorough inspection to find things that could wreck your investment....or worse make you dead.

Your money...but you need to have that money refunded and find a quality guy to see what else might have been missed.

Flew to Osh 11,12,15,17,19. SNF 2013. West to Cali /Washington/Vancouver/crossed the Rockies north to Red Deer east to Moosonee and over to maritimes. South to Jekyll Isl, cedar key, and Key West etc. 7 trips and 17 islands of the Bahamas. Flown turtles and dogs for Pilots n Paws too. Love our Rv's
Old 04-19-2018, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibirsky View Post
the prebuy was done by someone who weights very heavy in the RV world
Nobody is perfect, not all the time anyway. Think about all the crazy stuff builders do, multiply by all the usual airworthiness issues, and the answer is about 7 digits.

It's not easy guys. I was on a TC visit this afternoon. Look at this:

A oval swage sleeve, aka a Nicopress (TM) fitting. Pretty innocuous, yes? Well, this builder was using aluminum swage sleeves, so there are at least 12 of them in the elevator and rudder cables of his Zenith, all totally unairworthy...and all covered with heat shrink tubing. The correct sleeve is copper, plain or zinc plated for galvanized cable, or tin plated for stainless cable.

Pretty good chance someone would have died following a heavy pull on the stick. Any inspection is better than none.

Last edited by DanH : 04-19-2018 at 04:12 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:12 PM

Default Punctured Rudder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffw@sc47 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
The location leads me to think that it might be a puncture caused by the elevator trim tab tip. This can happen very easily on an -A model without a gust lock.
There was a whole thread discussing those last 2 pictures and problem, but I cannot find it now. It discussed setting the proper control travel and ensuring that there is at least 1 inch of clearance between the elevator training edge tip and the rudder at full travel.

Last edited by RV8JD : 04-19-2018 at 06:27 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:20 PM

Here is a follow up question after thinking about this for a bit......

I am wondering if it is not possible that the nut was removed from this bolt by someone in the paint shop?

The reason I ask is that anyone familiar with the RV-9 knows that it is a huge pain to disconnect the push/pull rod from the aileron with the aileron mounted to the wing. When I have to remove an RV-9 aileron I disconnect the push/pull rod at the bellcrank and pull the rod out while removing the aileron.

Perhaps someone in the paint shop did the same?

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
Van's Aircraft Engineering Prototype Shop Manager
FAA/DAR
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Closed Thread