-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:25 AM

Default Where the problem potential lies.

Hi,

No one has really explained why slipping may become a problem and why you probably got the advice.

First of all they slip well. However, depending on how the fuel tank was built and how much fuel is in the down wing could lead to an e.ngine stoppage. This happened in our 9. If your down wing tank has flop tubes this is unlikely to happen as it will still be able to pick up fuel

If the down wing tank as a standard pick up tube and it is low on fuel the fuel flows away from the pick up in the down wing. Of course it will take a few minutes for the carb to empty but FI may be affected by it pretty quickly.

So if you are going to slip, make sure either you are on the raised wing fuel supply, have plenty of fuel in the down wing is still taking fuel from that tank, or there is a flop tube in the down wing.

In our case the engine restarted soon after the wings had been levelled but the pilot got a nasty surprise when it stopped initially and then again when it started making power again.

Steve Arnold
England

In completion stage of Loehle P5151
Built and now Flying G.BVLR Vans RV4
Rebuilt G.BDBD Tailwind
Rebuilt G BVTN Kitfox
Built G CDCD RV9A with WAM120
Riveted wings on Glastar G.LEZZ Now (G. SKUA)
Old 02-21-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
No one has really explained why slipping may become a problem and why you probably got the advice.

First of all they slip well. However, depending on how the fuel tank was built and how much fuel is in the down wing could lead to an e.ngine stoppage. This happened in our 9. If your down wing tank has flop tubes this is unlikely to happen as it will still be able to pick up fuel

If the down wing tank as a standard pick up tube and it is low on fuel the fuel flows away from the pick up in the down wing. Of course it will take a few minutes for the carb to empty but FI may be affected by it pretty quickly.

So if you are going to slip, make sure either you are on the raised wing fuel supply, have plenty of fuel in the down wing is still taking fuel from that tank, or there is a flop tube in the down wing.
Yikes! I never even considered this condition. Thanks +++
RV-14A #140376
N196 (Flying)
2019 Bronze Lindy
Old 02-21-2018, 09:36 AM

Approaching home after a tank-draining cross country, I had the sudden inspiration to inspect the fishing crowd on a local reservoir. Lacking any semblance of planning, I was too close abeam to simply curl into a coordinated tight turn, plus not wanting to change track, I racked the -7 into a cruise speed slip to look steeply down.

The engine quit after several seconds. I had not thought to select the high-side tank. Just a reminder about basic airmanship should you hang ten coming down a long final.

Yes, RV-7s do slip, and mine carry the original -8 rudder.

John Siebold
Old 02-21-2018, 01:10 PM

RVs slip better than Ercoupes and Long EZs
Cherokee 180s slip better than RVs
Citabrias/Decathlons slip better than Cherokees
Stearmans and J-3s slip better than Citabrias
Pitts? slip better than Stearmans.
How ?well? you think RVs slip is all a matter of perspective.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:45 PM

Default Fuel management

Yikes. I almost always slip to the left, in a left base-type of pattern. And I will now add a note to consider selecting the right tank in the pattern, and also try to arrive with most fuel in that tank.

The things we learn on this site!
AeroSport Power IO-360 180hp w/dual P-Mags
Catto 3-blade, with black carbon spinner.
10" Dynon SkyviewTouch. That's ALL.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:13 PM

Default Funny really

Interesting observation about unporting the left tank as it happened to one of my flying buddies on the way to Oshkosh. I am normally on the right tank in the pattern because 1) most patterns are left, 2) I tend to slip to the left (easier and not looking cross cockpit), and 3) when I use mogas for long Xcountry I fill the left tank and burn that off first (I fly from the left side) but I take-off and land with 100LL in the right tank (comfort factor ) which is part of my checklist.

Net result in my case is it all works out (more happenstance than intellect though).
Figs
Old 02-21-2018, 03:59 PM

To set up the slip, bank into the wind. Mindful of the fuel levels in the tanks.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAM120RV View Post
Hi,

However, depending on how the fuel tank was built and how much fuel is in the down wing could lead to an e.ngine stoppage. This happened in our 9. If your down wing tank has flop tubes this is unlikely to happen as it will still be able to pick up fuel.
I thought ?flop tubes? were for negative g maneuvers. I don?t see how they help in a slip.
BTW, if you use the ?wing low (sideslip)? method for crosswind landings, you face the same issues.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:22 PM

The trap door that's added to the inboard tank rib to help keep fule in the inboard bay area nearest to the pickup tube .
Old 02-21-2018, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAM120RV View Post
...First of all they slip well. However, depending on how the fuel tank was built and how much fuel is in the down wing could lead to an e.ngine stoppage. This happened in our 9. If your down wing tank has flop tubes this is unlikely to happen as it will still be able to pick up fuel

What's it really matter? If you are slipping in the pattern, chances are good you are high and trying to lose some altitude. That is not a bad situation to be in, high on final, low on fuel, and a sputtering engine.

I slip almost every landing because i keep my patterns tight, and I have never had an engine so much as sputter.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html