VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

-POSTING RULES
-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.


Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #51  
Old 03-09-2017, 04:21 AM
rv8gibbo rv8gibbo is offline
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Maitland, Australia
Posts: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAflyer View Post
My buddies and I made a group order of these expensive bolts, thinking it was the "smart way to go". They can be installed like blind rivets; you only need access to one side of the material. Seemed too good to be true...and it was. We've discovered,...now that we have the bolts in hand, that they do not fit through the holes! They are about 6/1000 too big.
To ream, or not to ream...that is the question.
Mine where tight but it was because of the build up of paint when I sprayed the inside, I used a reamer by hand and the holes where free without too much effort and a slight bit of persuasion.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 03-09-2017, 02:33 PM
AAflyer's Avatar
AAflyer AAflyer is offline
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Fort Mill, South Carolina
Posts: 378
Default Are we talking about the same bolts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv8gibbo View Post
Mine where tight but it was because of the build up of paint when I sprayed the inside, I used a reamer by hand and the holes where free without too much effort and a slight bit of persuasion.
Would you please confirm you used the VISULOK blind bolts from Monoram Aerospace?
__________________
Bruce Windom
QB RV-8 N148BW
First Flight: Oct '16
AeroSport Power IO-360 180hp w/dual P-Mags
Catto 3-blade, with black carbon spinner.
10" Dynon SkyviewTouch. That's ALL.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 03-09-2017, 04:41 PM
Capfo Capfo is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Montgomery, Tx
Posts: 44
Default

The 8 bolts towards the middle of the box are reasonably simple to replace. Use a torch and some cheap wrenches and you can fashion one that will reach them without a great deal of effort. I have replaced them on several aircraft now and found that it is not as difficult as I first thought.

The four outer bolts require a bit more effort. The SB recommends cutting a hole up to 1" inboard of the nut plate for the seat ramp. I have found that cutting the hole outboard of the nut plate gives better access. I have not found it necessary to cut a hole in the belly skin as recommended in the SB. Access to ream the bolt holes would be even more difficult.
__________________
Chris
RV-8
KCXO
https://youtu.be/mBpIBBEA9WM
http://youtu.be/IB4jLrx0gWg

Last edited by Capfo : 03-09-2017 at 04:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 03-16-2017, 10:29 AM
Jeff Hagg Jeff Hagg is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Indpls. IN
Posts: 35
Default Special Wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8JD View Post
Service Bulletin 16-12-16

Date Released: December 16, 2016

Subject: RV-8QB Missing Center Section Bolts

Time of Compliance: Before further flight

http://www.vansaircraft.com/pdf/sb16-12-16.pdf
I completed the SB 16-12-16 last weekend and here is my recommendations.
Drill the 3/4 to 1" hole as documented in the SB, do not drill the bottom holes, "not necessary". I would then drill 4 small 3/8 holes above the upper nut locations, these are for viewing. You will need to make special wrenches. Weld a reduced height 7/16 socket on to a rod about 18", this will help you pick up the 2 lower outer nut/bolts. You will also need to make a left and right 90 degree tool to attach the upper nuts. Fish these through the 1" holes You may need to make two sets of varied length. Do not try to add washers to the inside nuts, the length of the bolts will not allow you to add these washers and still have 1 1/2 thread showing passed the nut. I will attach photos after I figure out how to. Good luck, this was not an easy task
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 04-23-2017, 08:28 AM
goatflieg's Avatar
goatflieg goatflieg is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Clarkston, MI
Posts: 837
Default Final double-check before torquing bolts

My RV-8QB fuselage is serial #83507; received 2/17. The twelve bolts were missing from the forward center section, and today I started work on getting them in place. Inserting the bolts fore-to-aft was easy, but trying to get the washers and nuts on the bolts with the access limited by the assembled center section seemed a nightmare. I also do not want to drill the 1" access holes if I can avoid it. It was easier to guide the bolts in from the back side using a flashlight and magnetic stick, and get the nuts and washers on the bolts from the front. Now all twelve bolts, nuts and washers are in place and ready for tightening and final torque. Before I do, I will probably call Van's tomorrow and double check to make sure installing the bolts backwards won't cause a problem. I know from reading this thread that other builders have done it this way, and I already know what I'll do to modify tools to get the job done. It will also be easier to mark the nuts with torque paint when finished. But I thought I'd check here: can anyone think of a reason why I shouldn't do it this way? As far as I can tell, the only "rule" I'm breaking is the traditional "insert bolts from fore to aft". Are there any other clearance issues involved in having the nuts on the front outside of the center section?

(No response here, but checked with Van's; approved)
__________________
Martin J Filiatrault
Clarkston, MI
RV-8 #83507 - registered; final assembly continues; engine remounted.
Builder websites:
http://goatflieg.blogspot.com/
http://www.mykitlog.com/goatflieg/
YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/goatflieg
Dues paid for 2022... extra payment included for psychological therapeutic services rendered.

_______________________

Have you ever gotten the feeling you were smarter than you could ever prove?

Last edited by goatflieg : 04-25-2017 at 05:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 08-10-2017, 02:35 PM
tomusa tomusa is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Portland, Maine
Posts: 9
Default

Just wondered what Van said about having the bolts face forward. Thanks, Tom
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 08-10-2017, 03:55 PM
xblueh2o xblueh2o is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: SF East Bay
Posts: 868
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatflieg View Post
My RV-8QB fuselage is serial #83507; received 2/17. The twelve bolts were missing from the forward center section, and today I started work on getting them in place. Inserting the bolts fore-to-aft was easy, but trying to get the washers and nuts on the bolts with the access limited by the assembled center section seemed a nightmare. I also do not want to drill the 1" access holes if I can avoid it. It was easier to guide the bolts in from the back side using a flashlight and magnetic stick, and get the nuts and washers on the bolts from the front. Now all twelve bolts, nuts and washers are in place and ready for tightening and final torque. Before I do, I will probably call Van's tomorrow and double check to make sure installing the bolts backwards won't cause a problem. I know from reading this thread that other builders have done it this way, and I already know what I'll do to modify tools to get the job done. It will also be easier to mark the nuts with torque paint when finished. But I thought I'd check here: can anyone think of a reason why I shouldn't do it this way? As far as I can tell, the only "rule" I'm breaking is the traditional "insert bolts from fore to aft". Are there any other clearance issues involved in having the nuts on the front outside of the center section?

(No response here, but checked with Van's; approved)
Are your wings not installed yet?
If the wings are not installed there should be no reason to drill the spar or belly holes. I placed the washers on the installed bolts using a washer wrench taped to a stick but a long magnet would also work. To get the nuts on I taped the wrench to the other end of my long stick and then had a little piece of tape to hold the nut in the box end of the wrench. I would post a picture but, you know, photo bucket.
__________________
Sam
RV-8 with the Showplanes Fastback conversion
Emp completed except for glass work
Wings completed except for bottom skin and glass work
Fuselage underway
N18451 reserved
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 08-10-2017, 08:29 PM
goatflieg's Avatar
goatflieg goatflieg is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Clarkston, MI
Posts: 837
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomusa View Post
Just wondered what Van said about having the bolts face forward. Thanks, Tom
They said it was not an issue for these bolts; it would still meet the requirements of the SB.
__________________
Martin J Filiatrault
Clarkston, MI
RV-8 #83507 - registered; final assembly continues; engine remounted.
Builder websites:
http://goatflieg.blogspot.com/
http://www.mykitlog.com/goatflieg/
YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/goatflieg
Dues paid for 2022... extra payment included for psychological therapeutic services rendered.

_______________________

Have you ever gotten the feeling you were smarter than you could ever prove?
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 11-13-2017, 11:32 AM
akarmy's Avatar
akarmy akarmy is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 677
Default

Just a quick update to this old thread. I had the "pleasure" of helping a good friend install these 12 bolts this weekend! What fun. Once he had all of it opened up and removed the center control column and sticks I was ready to work. Took 5 hours. We were able to get all 12 in without any holes just using the center access hole. 10 of them went in from the back (inside the spar box) and 2 had to go in from the front due to interference with the nuts on the rear spar that hold the seat rib in place.

The only thing that we found to work was to use a camera (I had a cheap USB camera) and put it on a stick. Then use 12" forceps with a slight notch ground in about 1/4" from the tip to hold the bolt. Then with one hand on the camera and one on the bolt you put it in the hole (Mars rover style)

Boy it feels good to have the last one go in place. And the defeat you feel when you bump the bolt that's half way in the hole is real

But in the end it's doable if you have the right tools at hand.

Thanks to those of you that posted above, we took lots of those ideas in mind before starting. (now how long will these bruises take to heal on my forearms).

PS, even though I have a slow build 8, after finishing up his, I had to go home and take a peek with a mirror to make sure mine were in place... WHEW.
__________________
Andy Karmy
Covington WA

RV-8 - Flying!
RV-9A - sold

Dec 2021 Paid
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 02-08-2020, 06:05 PM
Pilot135pd's Avatar
Pilot135pd Pilot135pd is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Vaca Moo Airport - TA37 in East TEXAS
Posts: 1,505
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hagg View Post
I completed the SB 16-12-16 last weekend and here is my recommendations.
Drill the 3/4 to 1" hole as documented in the SB, do not drill the bottom holes, "not necessary". I would then drill 4 small 3/8 holes above the upper nut locations, these are for viewing. You will need to make special wrenches. Weld a reduced height 7/16 socket on to a rod about 18", this will help you pick up the 2 lower outer nut/bolts. You will also need to make a left and right 90 degree tool to attach the upper nuts. Fish these through the 1" holes You may need to make two sets of varied length. Do not try to add washers to the inside nuts, the length of the bolts will not allow you to add these washers and still have 1 1/2 thread showing passed the nut. I will attach photos after I figure out how to. Good luck, this was not an easy task
Any chance you can post the pictures? Anyone else have any pictures they can post or email to me?

I paid a well known RV-8 builder and current A&P-IA to do my pre-buy inspection a year ago (more than 2 years after the SB came out) and I specifically told him I know they're not mandatory but I want you to check all SBs, but he didn't catch this. I can understand why he didn't because I'm sure he went to Van's website and looked up RV-8 SBs and found it says that it only applies to QB planes so why even open the SB? I would have but I'm not a mechanic and I guess I have more free time to read than others.

Good thing my well established procedure for annuals in all of my prior aircraft has always been alternate between IAs during every inspection so what one misses the next one might catch. Yes it's more expensive but my life is worth it. I'm happy I stuck to my beliefs because today after 455 hours flying, built by an A&P-IA and a pre-buy inspection done by another RV builder A&P-IA-CFI, the person doing this inspection found that I'm missing the 12 bolts !!!

What I don't understand is WHY hasn't Van's changed the applicability of the SB to ALL of the RV-8s? Why does it only apply to the QB when it's clear that it's happening with slow build RV-8s too? Even though slow builders don't seem to notice the 12 extra bolts laying around when they're done, I think Van's should change the SB or make some notes in their plans to make sure people pay special attention to this.
__________________
Sadly sold my RV-8 however still trying to enjoy life by living on my airport with FREE campsites for pilots to enjoy www.facebook.com/VacaMooAirport/ & flying my OnSpeed equipped C-177 while waiting for the RV15 !

Exempt by 3 out of the 10 ways but I still donated.

Last edited by Pilot135pd : 02-08-2020 at 06:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:56 AM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.