Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopercod View Post
GPS Altitude 20,674' LOL! How do they say "It's easier to get forgiveness than permission" in Russian?
you will begin to get goofy over 20K and start to think about going higher and grinning. it's a strange feeling in a carb'd 320 9.

Simplicity is the art in design.
I was born an airplane nut. I have no explanation for it.
My Artwork is freely given and published and cannot be patented.
www.rvplasticparts.com
Old 09-14-2016, 08:12 AM

Default Hi Vlad

Reminiscent of my return home from Oregon to Georgia in 2013 in the RV1.
I stopped the first night in Bakersfield where I was lucky enough to meet John Harmon on the ramp. Then on to Deming by way of General Fox to stay out of restricted AS. Sped by the Organs just north of El Paso on way to fuel stop to
Skyview Ranch. Was 110 F on ground at every location until 3rd night in Athens Tx. Would like to fly the border someday just for the view;only in cooler months.
I really enjoy your trip writing, keep it going.
RV7 N364SJ Miss Sandy sold
RV1 N1583 "Mockingbird 1" SOLD
EAA volunteer SNF

HBC volunteer/co-chairman OSH
Tech counselor
Old 09-14-2016, 08:48 AM

Default KEDN

Vlad,
I wish I had known you were coming. I'm just south of EDN at 33J.

Those are all stage fields for Ft. Rucker in Enterprise. They are used for helicopter training that occurs 24/7 at Ft. Rucker. Never landed on one and don't know the procedure if any.

Willyeyeball of IAC fame is based at EDN and could fill you in more.
SERFI 2013 Awards
Inspection Complete!!! 7/7/12
First Flight 7/22/12
Old 09-14-2016, 09:19 AM

Default Possible problem

For those of you who believe the NASA report is a "get out of jail free card" there is another consideration. One of the instances the immunity is not automatically granted is an intentional violation of an FAR. There are times when your better option might be to contact ATC and declare an emergency. Declaration of an emergency allows you to deviate from FARs as necessary for the safety of the aircraft. Contacting ATC allows/requires them to provide any help to you they can and clear airspace if need be. Any traffic in the Class A entered in this case would have been vectored away. Vlad was smart to contact ATC. Do not be afraid to declare an emergency if you need to do so. Even if the FAA wants to ask why you took the actions leading to the declaration of an emergency, that conversation will only take place after you are safely on the ground. Food for thought.

Last edited by Skysailor : 09-14-2016 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 09-14-2016, 10:45 AM

Default Nothing certifiable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkersey View Post
Heart pounding reading this. Are you instrument rated but the plane isn't IFR "certified" so you don't file? I would like to know what you end up going through with the FAA after this? If anything?
Jeff,
This subject has been whipped like the proverbial dead horse over the years on this site. Instrument Flight Rules vs Visual Flight Rules...
Suffice to say after 20,000 hours flying in the military and for a major airline, much of it IFR and another 25 years flying my RV's around the country, I've found IFR is a grey area for Experimentals (and many other types!).

Myth 1: "Certified IFR" applies to anything flying with Experimental on the canopy rail.
Myth 2: You have to be on an IFR flight plan or rated to be "VFR on top"

1. First, even Doug Reeves amazingly equipped RV6 "Flying Garmin advertisement" is not IFR certified. However comma, it does comply with the FAR/AIM requirements for operating an aircraft in IMC:
It's had the pitot static system tested and encoding altimeter checked and documented in the aircraft's logbook and when operating in such capacity is on an IFR flight plan or IFR in controlled airspace with ATC compliance and squawking accordingly while complying with and properly rated for Instrument Flight Rules.

An FAA guy on my 737 Jumpseat recently told me that Certified and Experimental are two different categories, one can't be part of the other, ever.

2. Second, yes, even today you can operate "VFR on top" of a solid overcast legally using "VFR on Top" cloud separation and clearing requirements and not IFR rated. Is it smart? F16 Weapons school answer: it depends... You have to utilize that rarest form of knowledge, common sense...and pilotage.

Bottom line in Aviation and written on page one in every professional flight manual is rule one: Common sense and discretion override any other priorities in this manual.
And from my F16 days: Only Squawks get violated...
V/R
Smokey

PS: Vlad: what, no trip to Northern TX to touch base at 52F and have lunch with DR (and me)? Dos ve Danya!

Last edited by smokyray : 09-14-2016 at 11:19 AM.
Old 09-14-2016, 10:51 AM

Only one thing to add Smokey: Above a pressure altitude of 18000 (no more VFR allowed at that altitude) you must be on a IFR flight plan......
Old 09-14-2016, 12:52 PM

Default IFR rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Birchler View Post
Only one thing to add Smokey: Above a pressure altitude of 18000 (no more VFR allowed at that altitude) you must be on a IFR flight plan......
Above 18k is more what I was referring to more than VFR on top. Although I seem to remember you should have contact with the ground (holes in the clouds).

I have not had my plane above 12.5K. Have had a few instances where I would have preferred to climb instead of go around. Just recently purchased and oxygen system that will give me more options.

I am gathering gear to equip my plane with "certified" Nav gear so I can file IFR when needed. I have total confidence in shooting an approach with the gear I have that is not "certified". I have shot many approaches under the hood with a safety pilot on VFR days to minimums and the runway is always where it is supposed to be...

Sure does cost a lot for gear with paperwork that says "certified" WAAS...
Old 09-14-2016, 04:31 PM

Talking Day 17. Seeking Sun in Shiny State

Today is all Florida. I love this state. I've been here multiple times through the years it never gets old. I was dropped off at the airport and told to come back.
Passed an impressive piece of Tampa real estate, it took 5 minutes for a kid at work to figure out who lives there. How long it would take you the baseball lovers?

Off Pitonite to a top secret location.

A lot of nontranspondent traffic up to 3,000 feet. ATC wouldn't be of much help here. You are on your own buddy.

The first destination is a citrus farm. Never visited one never saw an orange tree. Now I have a chance. BTW how many runway can you see here? I see at least six but only one is suitable.

Wohoo you don't even need the brakes the grass will slow you to full stop just fine. I knew they cut it top short.

I walked the rows of citrus trees. They were all lemons all green. An airboat roared through the nearest channel but we couldn't see each other. The citrus farm is in the books, a Navy WW2 abandoned strip is next. I was told to watch out.

I made several passes some low some slow and one in ground effect. As soon as I touched down there was a lot of vibration on the wheels I suspect it was the old metal runway hidden under tall grass. I will come here again after I do more research.

It was hot without sunshine. I landed at Okeechobee and had a brunch at an airport cafe.

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:53 PM

Default Day 17. Still Seeking Sunshine.

There is an airport in Florida called Bent Willies. That airport "collects" types of airplanes landed. It never had an RV9A there. The identifier is 52FA and the owner is Bill Whidden. A quick request from the air yields this.

I skimmed Lake Kissimmee under the floor of R2901E and followed Bill's instructions.

Made a pass to shoo Bill's cows off the runway and touched down. Look at the difference between Bill's runway and the citrus farm.

There is a pond nearby it was very hot I walked toward it and took a dip. Nice! There is also a repair station in case you broke down.

Excuse me did you just poop on my tail?

No?! It's them?

Little I knew that Big Fred lives in that pond too. Bill later told me that and send this picture. I guess I was too bony and stinky for a good goulash. That's why the cows and cranes were so puzzled.

Bill also told me that his cousin is a local Sheriff and can get me a bunk bed at the county jail if I ever need a free place to stay.

Last edited by Vlad : 09-14-2016 at 04:56 PM.
Old 09-14-2016, 05:15 PM

Default Day 17. Sunshine Finally Found.

Then I landed at La Belle X14 just to wait over a popup T-storm. A Cessna was finishing his 23rd Touch and Go for the day. Two commercially rated Chinese pilots were building flight time in the rental. We had a great talk while storm was passing. I was amazed at the amount of knowledge and erudition these foreign young adults have. I just made two great friends from an ancient royal dynasty. And they just learned that they can easily fly to Dry Tortuga and back. The daytime was almost up and I was told the only sunshine I can found is in Naples. I didn't come back to Tampa I ended up in Naples.

My good friend Ivan who recently fled from Little Siberia to Florida gave me a great tour.

Ivan is the greatest instructor of all times. In 30 minutes I was toggling between cockpit iPads like a pro. If he can teach a stewardess how to land a Falcon he could teach a dumb Russki how to run preflight checks. Thank you John much appreciated.

Then there were tacos and beer. Polished with a nice port. I have two more days left from my vacation and I am spending one tomorrow...