- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 08-25-2016, 02:37 PM

Smile Journey of a Lifetime

Vlad-thanks for Toad River RV6 reply. He obviously has access to hangar seasonally.Unfortunate couldn't land @ Lair Hot Springs. In the lodge-restaurant combo they have a full body Wolf under glass on the railing to the rest rooms. Per previous photo low by the Buffalo, or trying to land, yes confined there via grass alleyway between hvy. timber. Briefly, per CB on, lady in sm. car couldn't get thru, surrounded her vehicle. The Buffalo/Bison were itching their back on her car, raising it up + down off the ground. ...she was screaming.Great photos, story, narration.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:29 PM

My wife and I visited Dawson City last year on an Alaskan Cruise/Tour and rode that 737 (or one just like it) from Dawson City to Fairbanks. I was wondering what it would be like to take off from a gravel strip in a 737, but that plane rocketed out of there like a dragster. Probably because it was not fully fueled or heavily loaded. Dawson City was fun. They had a can-can show that was a real hoot and of course it was broad daylight when we left at 10:00 pm. Lots of fun.
RV-8 #81077 Super Slow Build
Dynon Skyview HDX, Titan IOX-370, Dual P-Mags, AFP FM200A FI, Whirlwind 200RV CS Prop
First Flight 11/20/2016
https://www.marksrv8.com
Old 08-25-2016, 07:50 PM

Talking Day 6. Crossed Arctic Circle

My trusty wingman and good friend Chip made a tough decision. To turn back enter CONUS and land in every state. I salute him he made it that far very few RV drivers are able to do that. Well done brother well done! I will catch you on the way back stay safe as you always told me.

Goodbye Fairbanks I am heading north. No traffic at 5 am.

My next stop was Bettles PABT. A humongous gravel strip with fuel available. There is also a lodge and a little cafe. A pilot who flies charter to that strip said he couldn't afford to stay there and eat there. Bettles airport has road access.

The Yukon River Bridge is pretty much at the Arctic Circle latitude.

I landed the gravel wasn't great for fully panted RV wheels. For bush wheels it's not a problem.

Couple locals came out asked what kind of plane I am and what I am doing here. Just passing by I said.

Next stop was Coldfoot PACX...

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:59 PM

Vlad, you are THE MAN. Keep it coming. Sorry you couldn't stop by for a Sharky's-on-the-pier beverage.
Gary Palinkas - Gman.... VAF #161
Venice, Fl
RV-6 "Sassy" Flying 400 hrs since Oct 2011
Lycoming 0-360 A1A, FP Sensenich Prop
SARL #19 .... Van's Calendar March 2015
Although exempt several ways, =VAF= Dues paid to support this awesome site/family

Last edited by GLPalinkas : 08-25-2016 at 08:00 PM. Reason: sp
Old 08-25-2016, 08:36 PM

Default Coldfoot, Alaska

The farther north I go the lower are the ceilings, the colder temperature and narrower dew point spread. There are two main ways to get on the north side of Brooks Range I was told. One via Anaktavuk Pass and another through Atigun. The first one is said to be of lower terrain and easier but being first timer in that territory I chose Dalton Highway as my alternate in case weather goes sour. Satellite imagery and prognostic charts didn't look too encouraging in both corridors. Atigun Pass it is. One hour away and it took me about ... no first let's get there.

Coldfoot airport PACX was under a massive construction. They kept it pretty organized. All areas were well marked and flagged. The wind was a good 15 knots on the nose with occasional rain and temperature in lower 40ies on a day of August the 3rd, 2016.

A very Irish looking man got out of a bush plane and walked toward me. What is this? Never saw a beauty that shiny! Where are you from? What you forgot here in Coldfood? Do you have rubber boots? If not we can give you a pair.

We had a great conversation (he talked mostly) about his Russian neighbors then he directed me toward a trucker camp. The camp has a diner it's a 10 minutes walk on a muddy road. I remember these two truckers they greeted me so stay tuned.

This is the diner. Time stalled inside. The staff was friendly but not moving at all.

I ordered a breakfast and it took them 43 minutes to make two eggs over easy. Internet is provided by satellite and you have to buy a token to log in. Even after that the connection is not guaranteed. I wish I could stop the time Coldfoot style. A walk back under the rain now I know what that pilot meant when he was offering me a pair of rubber boots.

I start the engine back taxi the runway and right after applying full power the oil door pops up I forgot to close it. A radio call a question thrown in the air a quick stop at the numbers a run under torrential rain to close the oil door and I am airborne again. Well fed, properly exercised and ready for Atigun Pass. The fun day has begun...

Old 08-25-2016, 09:00 PM

Vlad, I believe a vasectomy would cost you a mortgage!
Old 08-25-2016, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel View Post
I was just about to ask how he on earth he's able to flare. If ya know what I mean.

Omaha, NE
RV-12 # 222 N980KM "Screamin' Canary" (bought flying)
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
Old 08-25-2016, 09:20 PM

I read the locals at Bettles were a miserable group. By your comment I am tending to believe it. Better to just stay low.

"Couple locals came out asked what kind of plane I am and what I am doing here. Just passing by I said."

Simplicity is the art in design.
I was born an airplane nut. I have no explanation for it.
My Artwork is freely given and published and cannot be patented.
www.rvplasticparts.com
Old 08-25-2016, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel View Post
That was funny Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
I was just about to ask how he on earth he's able to flare. If ya know what I mean.
Still trying to get it Dale...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Melton View Post
I read the locals at Bettles were a miserable group. By your comment I am tending to believe it. Better to just stay low.

"Couple locals came out asked what kind of plane I am and what I am doing here. Just passing by I said."

They were OK it's a workday in the middle of nowhere. I have no idea what kind of jobs they have Steve.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
Still trying to get it Dale...
No room to pull the stick back. Manhood in the way. This picture here proves it. Vlad wins.