- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:28 PM

Talking Day 3. Flight of Two Separated

Troy Branch knows his territories. He gave us tons of suggestions on local sightseeing. A corridor to the north was about to open when we followed Troy to the fuel pumps.

I didn't need any gas but Chip tanked it full. His RV is more powerful and burns some extra Go-Juice. He takes over the radio and boldly leads me through the maze of Calgary airspace. Man he is sharp on push to talk I wish I were that articulate.

Some buildups are growing again over the mountains. I decide to sneak into Ram Falls airstrip before the wall of rain hits it. 20 minutes the most I have to catch a bighorn sheep. Chip is patiently holding in clearer skies.

Anyway, I spotted two moving targets on a cliff but by the time I landed they were gone. Another 10 minutes of search while airborne yielding nothing. A bit upset I am, the first wildlife gone not captured on camera. Well, the journey has just began there will be many wild animals to see.

Next stop is Wolf Lake. Very nice camping grounds and a good grass strip. Chip was waiting for me there.

He is a Navy brat and knows how to make a great hot meal without any fire. The amount of military rations he carried is enough for us to survive a month in the tundra. Good job Chip!

We dined dense then kept pushing north. Stopped to refuel at Edson and learned that on the weekend there is no way to get gas.

It's kind of getting gloomy again. Chip takes off seconds later and loses me between cloud layers. 20 minutes of intense air-to-air communications and we still can't find each other. Then he hits the wall of fog and diverts to alternate. I plug the oxygen in and spiral up in a hole on top of all this mess. Almost three hours later I land at an airport with a functional fuel pump. I called Chip he is safely on the ground and performs some non essential troubleshooting. He will be chasing me for two days to Dawson City, Yukon Territory...

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.

Last edited by Vlad : 08-22-2016 at 07:34 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:56 PM

Default Still Day 3...

The worst of the weather was behind me. Chip reported his RV is in top shape and he is on the way to hotel. Whew awesome! I am feeling great and could easily fly for several more hours.

I intercept Alaskan Highway and follow it for an hour. Bladder calls and magically an airport appears. Prophet River, BC it's a tight spot. Fishermen don't care neither their dogs.

10 minutes on the ground and I am on my way to Mile422 on Alaska Highway.

Toad River Lodge was mentioned to me by Greg Arehart several years ago. Beautiful place.

Sea of hats in the restaurant. I couldn't see neither VAF nor Vans but I didn't hang my hat there.

Toad River. Stop there stay overnight you won't regret.

Old 08-22-2016, 10:44 PM

Baller....
Old 08-23-2016, 10:18 AM

Knew you would love Ram Falls and Wolf Lake. They are both great spots to just get away That was quite a day for you two. Did that turn co-ordinator keep doing what it suppose too.

RV10 Built and Flying Since Feb 2009
950hrs Plus
CC EX-2 Flying
SuperSTOL Built and Sold
RV9 Built and Sold
Avid Aerobat Built and Sold
Dues paid Nov 2019
Old 08-23-2016, 06:58 PM

wings must have been scraping the brush at Prophet River!

Simplicity is the art in design.
I was born an airplane nut. I have no explanation for it.
My Artwork is freely given and published and cannot be patented.
www.rvplasticparts.com
Old 08-23-2016, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
Are those Lockheed 188 Electras?

RV-7
Old 08-23-2016, 08:21 PM

Thumbs up Day 4. Almost 8 hours airborne love every minute!

Well rested I left Toad River Lodge and airport. Weather forecast looked stellar for all day up to the North Pole. I decided to track Alcan till intersection at Robert Campbell highway then take it to Klondike.

There are famous Liard Hot Springs and I know at least two pilots who landed Piper Cubs nearby and took a dip in the springs. I wasn't so lucky traffic on Alaska Highway was pretty intense and nearly all pockets by it were either blocked by signs or occupied by different RVs.

To find a landing spot on Alaska Highway is not easy. If a stretch of the road looks straight from the air and you scouted traffic on both sides, at the flare you couldn't see anything then you bail out. These are side roads and a runway between them. Do you see it? Me neither.

If there is a perfect mile it's usually occupied by the locals. Hey, is there any hey on the centerline?

Could you buffalos please move out?

Definitely these animals are not too intelligent welcome to the club.

I managed to do a touch and go elsewhere on the road for the record then landed at Ross River airport in Yukon. Parked at the end of the gravel strip and walked to the village to get some provisions. Chip with military rations was a day away and my supplies were low.

Indigenous people managed the only grocery store and while I walked the isles a lady cashier followed me watching closely. Weird feeling. I bought some snacks and water they gladly took Yankee roubles I didn't have local currency.
Walked 10 min back to airplane all village dogs were barking.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:50 PM

Default Day 4 continued

Watson Lake was a fuel stop and a museum tour. There was a strong wind which was very helpful to dissipate the heat of a very warm day.

The terminal itself is a museum and there are a lot of interesting pictures telling about WW2 Land Lease.

The young lad who managed the radio told me that in all Yukon there is no internet and phone services today. Not a big deal skies are clear. He also told me where the famous wreck is located and promised to watch the airspace for me till I find it. I found it thanked the guy and went my way.

Then I spend couple hours looking for that perfect stretch on the highway. Several unique airfields were on the way and on nearly all of them I managed to land to a full stop. I didn't know that one of our forum members has a little parish in Yukon hi Glen.

The most memorable strip was Minto by Yukon River. I walked the banks thought of swimming in clear water but it was surprisingly cold on such a hot day.

Then I found it!

Last edited by Vlad : 08-23-2016 at 08:53 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:56 PM

Noah F, RV-7A

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible. -T.E. Lawrence
Old 08-23-2016, 09:18 PM

Default Klondike Highway Landing

Then I finally found that perfect mile. It had a pocket leading to a mine. No auto traffic observed I land and taxi to the pocket. Visibility great not a soul or grizzly around. By the time I got out and started heading to the bushes two cars stopped. Do you need any help?

Shoot that was fast where they came from. Sure I could use some help. Please you guys run to both sides and stop whoever is coming in 10 minutes sharp? I will be taking off this way. Kids were happy to help.

Let's get out of here before cops come.

In an hour I landed at Dawson City airport. Chip was already there helping a maintenance crew to change a blown tire on a 737. He is an A&P and worked on those tires for like thirty years or more.

By the time I landed Chip made tons of friends and arranged pretty much everything. Someone drove us to the best hotel in town. It was a great day. Tomorrow promised to be even better.

Last edited by Vlad : 08-24-2016 at 05:28 AM.