Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-9/9A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2016, 09:42 AM

Default N183RC one step closer, first engine runs

I had first engine runs of my never before run O-320H2/ellison combo Saturday, and it went well, mostly. Preoiling worked, 44psi of oil pressure on the starter alone. Mahlon provided some guidance and ran that as close as possible - the 10 minute 1400 rpm run had to be truncated due to CHT reaching 350F at 6 minutes. It does all the things it should, 2190 rpm static with a Sensenich fixed. Some mixture things need to be chased, it doesn't cutoff cleanly at idle cutoff shutdown, but it does cut off.

The wrinkle was last run on Sunday, where it stubled towards the end of the run. No EMS indications (RPM, CHT, EGT, Oil, Fuel all solid), but you can hear it on the video (and watch me react in the cockpit, lol). It looks like the screen crush washer leakage issue I've had and thought I solved is not solved when oil temp comes up. It drools enough to put a puddle on top of the airbox and inside the airbox, and drool some more out the drain hole in the airbox, thankfully not onto anything hot. I may have fouled my filter and/or I'm sucking some oil into the intake. I won't know until I get the cowl off.

Word to the wise: If you have a Sensenich spinner, don't run it above 1400 rpm without the spinner on. You will bend the back of blade fairings on the backplate as they rotate. Sigh. 717-569-0435 just in case.
2011-2021 VAF contributor
Old 04-21-2016, 07:39 PM

Default Fiberglassing

Nearly completed the fiberglass fairing on the front of my windscreen. I may be the only one here who loves doing fiberglass and epoxy work, I think it reminds me of boating

I tinted the epoxy with.... India Ink.
Don't laugh, I've been doing it for years, mixes readily with the epoxy and has no noticeable affect on strength. Some more filler coats of thickened epoxy, some more sanding and I should be done.

Picture log: http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/j...8tor215/RV-9A/
Old 04-21-2016, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8torTom View Post
I may be the only one here who loves doing fiberglass and epoxy work
You, and Dan Horton.

Lookin' good so far. I'm sure this type of work is the most closely scrutinized by other RVers at fly-ins and such, so it's worth putting in a lot of effort to make it nice.
Donation made for 2021
You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky -- Amelia Earhart
Old 06-06-2016, 09:22 PM

Default Left wing top skins....check!!!!

Finished the left wing top skins today with the help of my son. He is an aerospace engineering student at Embry Riddle so this is his summer internship!
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Dues paid April 2021
Old 07-11-2016, 02:07 PM

Default Appreciation

Nice interior.
Old 07-11-2016, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8torTom View Post
Nearly completed the fiberglass fairing on the front of my windscreen. I may be the only one here who loves doing fiberglass and epoxy work, I think it reminds me of boating

I tinted the epoxy with.... India Ink.
Don't laugh, I've been doing it for years, mixes readily with the epoxy and has no noticeable affect on strength. Some more filler coats of thickened epoxy, some more sanding and I should be done.

What is that attach bracket forward of the left sub-panel riveted to the longeron?
RV-9A N4822C flying 2200+hrs. / Cedar Park, TX
RV8 Building - fuselage / showplanes canopy (Done!)
VAF Advertiser
Old 07-11-2016, 03:15 PM

I'm out of Phase I now, and I'm not calling it "done" yet until it's painted, but my project has turned out to be every bit as satisfying as I had hoped, and then some! 8 years and 1,985 actual shop hours to current status, with maybe another 10-15 hours or so for touch-ups and tweaks, so we'll call it an even 2,000 hours.

All those hours spent in the freezing cold while driving rivets, all those hours in the 100 degree heats dripping sweat while driving rivets, I kept telling myself it would be worth it someday - and I was right! It's SOOOOO worth it, keep going guys!

I routinely cruise in the mid-upper teens on any trip over 100 miles now, because it's so easy to get there. I climb at 1000/min at full power even at max gross in hot west Texas ground temps, and yesterday I was still showing 700/min leveling off at 16,500. Solo with light fuel load the Vy climbout deck angle is astonishing! I can flight plan 150ktas on 6.5-7.0 gallons per hour at that altitude and hit my numbers every time. This magic carpet ride is awesome!!
Built an off-plan RV9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.

Last edited by airguy : 07-11-2016 at 03:23 PM.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguy View Post
I'm out of Phase I now, and I'm not calling it "done" yet until it's painted, but my project has turned out to be every bit as satisfying as I had hoped, and then some! 8 years and 1,985 actual shop hours to current status, with maybe another 10-15 hours or so for touch-ups and tweaks, so we'll call it an even 2,000 hours.

All those hours spent in the freezing cold while driving rivets, all those hours in the 100 degree heats dripping sweat while driving rivets, I kept telling myself it would be worth it someday - and I was right! It's SOOOOO worth it, keep going guys!

I routinely cruise in the mid-upper teens on any trip over 100 miles now, because it's so easy to get there. I climb at 1000/min at full power even at max gross in hot west Texas ground temps, and yesterday I was still showing 700/min leveling off at 16,500. Solo with light fuel load the Vy climbout deck angle is astonishing! I can flight plan 150ktas on 6.5-7.0 gallons per hour at that altitude and hit my numbers every time. This magic carpet ride is awesome!!
Greg, I'm so happy to see this report and hear about this. Congratulations!! All the hard work has paid off for you, and it's very inspirational to see this. As another long-time builder, I hope to be there soon with mine, too.

Your performance is incredible. What are you using for an oxygen system, by the way?
http://www.BrucesRV7A.com
Old 07-12-2016, 12:11 PM

Default Sweet

Greg,

Congratulations. Isn?t she a ?sweet ride?? You will never go back?

Have fun.
RV-9 (yes) N369RV
Mattituck IO-360, C/S Whirl Wind Prop, GRT, Digiflight II, Garmin SL30 & GTX 330 and Hotel Whisky Aux tanks, Bla Bla Bla
Flying
Old 07-12-2016, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSwayze View Post
Your performance is incredible. What are you using for an oxygen system, by the way?
Right now I've got a D-size cylinder mounted in the right rear corner of the baggage compartment, it's an easy reach from the pilots seat to turn it on. I'm using the Oxysaver cannula but I have a surplus Mountain High unit somewhere on a UPS truck to take its place and save even more oxygen. I've found that with my Oxysaver I can maintain 90% or better blood O2 saturation on 0.5lpm starting at about 9,000' and going to 1 lpm at 14,000'. I spend enough time up that high that I'm already on my second fill.

I simply cannot believe this wing on the 9A - it loves the higher altitudes for cruise and has absolutely no problem getting up there in a hurry. Of course, an IO360 and CS prop helps a lot!
Built an off-plan RV9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.