- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:28 AM

Default But wait, there's more . . .

And to add to DanH, if you lay the fabric at a 45 degree angle to the main axis, it will tend to shorten with pressure, so it will definitely have no wrinkles left.

RV-7
Old 04-23-2016, 07:16 AM

Thanks for the detailed explanations!
Old 04-26-2016, 12:44 AM

I sanded some of the "beer belly" off the bottom of the right inlet, I think the new shape will let the rubber boot slide off of the mold. I also added 3 layers of epoxy to the inlet plugs and the plenum.

I also made an aluminum strip to clamp the bottom edge of the intake boot to the stock Van's baffling that also makes use of the stock block off plate to provide a curved path for airflow. Right side:

Left side:

I'm getting closer!
Old 04-30-2016, 07:24 AM

I soaked some room temp cured samples of the PMC780 dry in water, oil (chainsaw bar is oil) and 2 stroke mixed gas for the last several days. I visually compared and stretched/twisted etc the samples reference a piece of un-soaked urethane rubber. I couldn't detect any difference between the samples soaked in water or oil versus the un-soaked piece.

The piece that was soaked in 2 stroke mixed gas looked and felt normal at first, the bending and twisting seemed to start small cracks on the edge much like an old alternator belt or radiator hose.

Old 05-08-2016, 08:17 AM

Hey! did you make those boots yet? I'm at this juncture and him haw ing around trying to decide on the transition.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bret View Post
Hey! did you make those boots yet? I'm at this juncture and him haw ing around trying to decide on the transition.
So pushy........just kidding as the airplane has been low on the priorities.

I'm going to roughly follow DanH's proven design, instead of the aluminum support ring on the front I'm invisioning an epoxy/flox molded ring embedded in the rubber lip for support. I like the aluminum ring support better but have to work within my current tools/skill sets.

If your thinking/build process when going "off plans" is anything like mine it starts with what seems like a solid plan but in the end I have to just start building pieces and work out the details later.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:25 AM

I primed my glass with a DPLF epoxy primer followed by a high buildprimer, of course a few pinholes showed up where I got over zealous sanding the epoxy skim coat. Next time I'm going to shoot the epoxy primer only, fill remaining pinholes with epoxy/micro sand then shoot the high build primer.

I wet block sanded the plenum, I really like the contrasting colors of the high build versus epoxy primer. I'm getting closer.

I'm thinking my way through the front of the intake boot, I routed a 1 inch wide by 1/2 inch thick circle in some plastic to act as a mold for the front rubber lip.

I also routed a 3/8 inch wide by 1/4 inch thick ring to act as a mold for an epoxy/flox reinforcement ring. This reinforcement ring will sit in the intake boot front lip and be covered with rubber......in theory anyhow. The reinforcement ring is still curing, I ran out of fast hardener and had to use slow. I clamped a flat piece of plastic over the mold to flatten the back side.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:29 PM

Those look real nice!
Old 05-11-2016, 10:40 AM

Thanks Brett!

The plenum turned out pretty good for an amateur!

Old 05-11-2016, 03:26 PM

Default off plans comment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabandy View Post
So pushy........just kidding as the airplane has been low on the priorities.

I'm going to roughly follow DanH's proven design, instead of the aluminum support ring on the front I'm invisioning an epoxy/flox molded ring embedded in the rubber lip for support. I like the aluminum ring support better but have to work within my current tools/skill sets.

If your thinking/build process when going "off plans" is anything like mine it starts with what seems like a solid plan but in the end I have to just start building pieces and work out the details later.
Yep,
What at first may see like an "improvement" usually turns out to be lots of time and engineering to get where you are going.

Daddyman
2016 dues paid gleefully