What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine Case Half Pitting

Louavul

Well Known Member
Anyone seen anything like this before? Right side O-360 engine case half pitting where the cylinder base interfaces with the flange on the engine case. Will be calling ECI in the morning to get their take on it.

DSC_0001-001.jpg.html

That looks more like casting porosity to me. Has that surface been machined beyond factory original?

Typically, this is considered as part of the material strengths for a cast part so it should not add any concern about material fatigue strength. A more specific answer would be in order from an expert that will be standing behind their work.

That's not wear or fretting and machine marks are still present, so those imperfections were there last time it was machined, I think your fine.
I'd guess those were inclusions or gas bubbles in the casting.
Tim Andres

+3 on hydrogen gas porosity generated during casting. I would talk to the vendor about it.

Pitting?

To close the loop on my question, Engineering at ECI/Continental Motors states the following;

?Porosity in casting. Cosmetic, should not affect torque or hold down.?

So, just as those that offered opinions suggested. I just needed to be sure it didn't have a Swiss cheese syndrome.

Many Thanks

Back