We finally had temperatures and opportunity yesterday to pull the original WD-1221 out and put in the new one. I had seen one crack during the initial inspection per the SB, but when we got it out and had a closer look it was much worse than we imagined. The right side was cracked close to 3/4 around the tube, and there was also a crack on the left side that we had not seen. It probably would have been visible with a flashlight and inspection mirror, but after seeing the first crack I hadn't looked any further.
Both cracks were exactly where the diagram in the SB showed they would be. On careful consideration, we figured that even if the tube had broken completely the airplane would not have fallen from the sky... it looks like both sides would have stayed attached, but it's still a little unnerving to see cracks like that.
RV-12 # 222 N980KM "Screamin' Canary" (bought flying)
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)