VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   Propellers (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Aeroshell 5 out of production? (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=202456)

jcarne 01-02-2022 09:25 AM

Aeroshell 5 out of production?

Soooo... anyone know if this stuff is out of production? Spruce has an indefinitely back order and I can't find it in stock just about anywhere. Would really like to lube my Hartzell with it and not #6.

rv8ch 01-02-2022 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcarne (Post 1579297)
Soooo... anyone know if this stuff is out of production? Spruce has an indefinitely back order and I can't find it in stock just about anywhere. Would really like to lube my Hartzell with it and not #6.

I dropped an email to Hartzell asking for advice last week, but probably won't hear from them for a few days. There must be some grease that is compatible.

bjdecker 01-02-2022 09:36 AM

Aeroshell 22 might work. Check the MSDS's

rocketbob 01-02-2022 09:48 AM

I wont use Aeroshell 5 in my mower let alone an airplane. I have dried up old stock tubes tubes that I've thrown in the trash. Greasing Hartzells ever year causes more problems than it prevents. Pushing fresh grease in increases the likelihood of separated oil getting past the teflons and big orings. Radial movement is less than 1/8" at the bearing balls so its impossible for fresh grease to make its way to the interface between the bearing balls and the races.

rv8ch 01-02-2022 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocketbob (Post 1579303)
I wont use Aeroshell 5 in my mower let alone an airplane. I have dried up old stock tubes tubes that I've thrown in the trash. Greasing Hartzells ever year causes more problems than it prevents. Pushing fresh grease in increases the likelihood of separated oil getting past the teflons and big orings. Radial movement is less than 1/8" at the bearing balls so its impossible for fresh grease to make its way to the interface between the bearing balls and the races.

Bob, do you have a recommendation? Thanks.

rocketbob 01-02-2022 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rv8ch (Post 1579308)
Bob, do you have a recommendation? Thanks.

Yes, dont grease. Its pointless. There's no way to force old grease out without complete disassembly. There is so little movement that none of it really matters. I would be willing to bet a Hartzell would work just fine with zero grease.

DanH 01-02-2022 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcarne (Post 1579297)
Soooo... anyone know if this stuff is out of production?

If so, good riddance.

jcarne 01-02-2022 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanH (Post 1579315)
If so, good riddance.

Care to elaborate Dan? I haven't been around the block nearly as long as you guys.

bjdecker 01-02-2022 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanH (Post 1579315)
If so, good riddance.

I'm sure there's a ton of data behind that sentiment...

bjdecker 01-02-2022 11:28 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by rocketbob (Post 1579309)
There's no way to force old grease out without complete disassembly.

Sort of -- when the mineral oil separates from the paraffin, it has a nasty tendency of seeping past the blade root seals and into the slip stream; ending up on the windscreen, airframe...(sigh) the chunky paraffin is left behind.

Disgusting "pimple popper" pictures attached for reference.

edit: this is Aeroshell 6 after only 6 months of disuse. (airplane was down for paint...)