VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   RV-15 (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   Poll - Pull or Pound? (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=197664)

bhassel 07-26-2021 09:05 PM

Poll - Pull or Pound?

Rivets!

having built most of an RV-12 I can honestly say I'm voting pull rivets. Much quicker build! Of course that doesn't mean you can't use solid rivets, if you want, does it?

Bob

FlyinRhino 07-26-2021 09:11 PM

I vote pulled also for ease of building.

David Paule 07-26-2021 09:12 PM

They can have potentially different strengths. A design for one might require somewhat more rivets or larger ones than a design for the other. There are impacts.

Dave

ArlingtonRV 07-26-2021 09:18 PM

Solid

Having built a -12, much of a -7 and parts of a Sportsman and Glastar, I prefer solid rivets. Makes for a much smoother finish, easier to paint, easier to clean.

NYTOM 07-27-2021 05:42 AM

Quality suffers for the sake of build speed

Probably just me and donít mean to knock the assemblers out there but pulled rivets just look cheap, amateurish and temporary. :eek: Obviously they are the required for certain special situations but otherwise just makes the project look like a high school shop project. Take the time and effort to use solid rivets for a more professional build. :) Sorry but just my stinky opinion.:D

Girraf 07-27-2021 06:40 AM

Solid

To me, pull rivets are appealing for their ease of installation only. There's probably a cost savings for new builders WRT to tooling if they went with pull rivets. Some of the most expensive aircraft tools I own are mainly for installing solid countersunk rivets (DRDT-2, squeezer, rivet gun, tungsten bar) For repeat builders who are the likely customers in the near term, no advantage there.

PCHunt 07-27-2021 06:41 AM

Seems to me that decision is up to the designer!

;)

RV6_flyer 07-27-2021 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PCHunt (Post 1543533)
Seems to me that decision is up to the designer!

;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Girraf (Post 1543532)
To me, pull rivets are appealing for their ease of installation only. There's probably a cost savings for new builders WRT to tooling if they went with pull rivets. Some of the most expensive aircraft tools I own are mainly for installing solid countersunk rivets (DRDT-2, squeezer, rivet gun, tungsten bar) For repeat builders who are the likely customers in the near term, no advantage there.

The designer will pick what is need for required strength and market price point.

Last time I purchased pulled rivets, they were several times the price of solid rivets. The price of pulled rivets will be a kit price much high than solid rivets. We need a CPA to determine if the price of the tools for solid rivets will cost more than the higher pulled rivet price.

Mel 07-27-2021 06:58 AM

Pulled rivets are heavier, more expensive, typically not as strong, and make assembly easier. If the aircraft is designed for pulled rivets, then strength is not a factor.

As a rule, solid rivets can almost always be substituted for pulled rivets. Not necessarily the other way around.

The important thing when using pulled rivets is to use rivets that have a "specification". Hardware store "pop" rivets must never be used in aircraft construction.

I've built several aircraft using pulled rivets and never had a problem with them.
My biggest objection to pulled rivets is the use of round head rivets. I always use flush rivets. This makes the aircraft look better, easier to paint, and easier to clean.

mburch 07-27-2021 08:06 AM

I voted "pull" but what I actually want is more nuanced than a binary choice. I love squeezing rivets and I don't really even mind driving rivets when I can get my hands on both sides to buck them myself. What I really hate is two-person rivet bucking, since the reliability and availability of your riveting partner becomes a challenge. Not to mention, bucking the rivets inside the fuselage and wings usually involves a lot of painful contortions. So I wouldn't mind a combination of squozen and pulled rivets in order to make solo building easier.