VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   My RV Build Project (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=108)
-   -   RV-7A rebirthing (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=135555)

Mycool 03-11-2016 12:08 PM

Living legend

Kent, by the time you're done with this thing you will be a living legend in this community. Keep up the good work!

JonJay 03-11-2016 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kentlik (Post 1061404)
Jon,
I would love a lesson...on a number of things aircraft related!
I have a background in fabrication, mostly props for film and TV, but cnc and manual machine journeyman. Of course hand tools. Any reason to buy another tool is a good day!

Sounds like you have a good base of skills. PM me anytime for contact info.
My shop is a total mess as I have moved it from our home hangar to new hangar up the road a bit, but no matter. Lot's of stuff to learn on.

newt 03-11-2016 04:41 PM

It's like a build in reverse gear.

"KEEP DRILLIN' OUT THOSE RIVETS, IT'S ALL WORTH IT."

:D :D :D

- mark

N941WR 03-11-2016 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSwayze (Post 1061348)
Kent,

It was great meeting you at the pancake breakfast and chatting a bit about your project! Anything I can do to help, please just let me know. It will be fascinating to watch your progress and see how this turns out for you. Please post lots of updates and pictures here for everyone!

One suggestion, since you're drilling out LOTS of rivets... a slower drill may be better for this task than the faster one. You probably know that already, but I thought I'd mention it. I actually turn the chuck by hand a few turns at first to make sure the bit is centered in the rivet head and gets a good "bite" before putting the slow power to it.

:)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kentlik (Post 1061375)
Bob,
That is good advise. I have a slow drill and went up to a fast drill...lol. After doing a hundred or so I realized that I could speed through all the ones that were placed in underlying parts that needed to be replaced and took a much gentler and diligent approach to the rivets that had good substructure to keep.
Everything seems to be bent. I am replacing all the aft bulkheads. I have an instructional flight at 10:00 so I think I will fly to Vans to get some parts.
Then foggle time, then drill some more rivets.

One other piece of advice, use center punch on each rivet, before drilling it. That will help the drill go in the exact center of each rivet.

Also, if you buy a new tail kit, you start with a new serial number, thus no damage history to put in your log book and you become the builder of record and can get the repaiman's certificate.

rvbuilder2002 03-11-2016 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N941WR (Post 1061561)
Also, if you buy a new tail kit, you start with a new serial number, thus no damage history to put in your log book.

Not true.
At least not unless he is willing to perjure himself in the certification process.

N941WR 03-11-2016 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 (Post 1061564)
Not true.
At least not unless he is willing to perjure himself in the certification process.

WHY? He is essentially building all new structures with components of a wreck. No perjuring involved.

rvbuilder2002 03-11-2016 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N941WR (Post 1061567)
WHY? He is essentially building all new structures with components of a wreck. No perjuring involved.

He may be building new for portions of it, but he is not building all new structures for the entire airplane.
I predict he will come no where close to meeting the requirements for constructing the major portion if it was evaluated using the checklist.

I have experience with doing this.
The RV-6A I currently own was rebuilt from an extensively damaged airplane, but the work involved still didn't come anywhere close to meeting the requirements for calling it a new airplane.

N941WR 03-11-2016 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 (Post 1061579)
He may be building new for portions of it, but he is not building all new structures for the entire airplane.
I predict he will come no where close to meeting the requirements for constructing the major portion if it was evaluated using the checklist.

I have experience with doing this.
The RV-6A I currently own was rebuilt from an extensively damaged airplane, but the work involved still didn't come anywhere close to meeting the requirements for calling it a new airplane.

Thanks Scott.

What if he gets new wings, disassembles the fuselage, and builds a new tail kit? His project needs a complete FwF too, so what on the checklist is he missing?

rv9av8tr 03-11-2016 09:59 PM

I don't see this rebuild being substantially different than the scope of a QB kit. I would feel comfortable with viewing it as the equivalent.

184KS 03-11-2016 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rv9av8tr (Post 1061617)
I don't see this rebuild being substantially different than the scope of a QB kit. I would feel comfortable with viewing it as the equivalent.

All that is needed to rebuild this aircraft is four easily obtainable parts:
Emp kit
Wing kit
Fuselage kit
Finish kit