VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   Traditional Aircraft Engines (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   ECI Cerminil Cylinder ? Service Life Experience? (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=83590)

Guy Prevost 03-07-2012 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironflight (Post 637178)
Thanks Stu and Guy - do you know if your cylinders are Cerminil's or not? ECI has made several different types of bores.

My cylinders are Nickel+Carbide. I'm not sure if this is the same as Ceraminil or not. The engine was built by Mattituck in late 2007.

Guy

Brockster 03-07-2012 11:22 AM

Upper compression ring problem

Right now I have 4 ECi cerminil cylinders with 325 hours on a O-360 that the coating on the upper compression ring is actually peeling off the ring. In the process of submitting warranty claim. Have learned that this is a common problem and uncertain if it has been resolved. Will take a picture tonight and post tomorrow. Never seen anything like it before. Supposedly the difference in the expansion rates of the base metal and the coating are different enough to cause this issue.

jbDC9 03-07-2012 12:06 PM

Ruh roh... makes me wonder if I have troubles ahead on the horizon. My O-360 has original Lycoming jugs but overhauled by ECi using their Cerminil process in 2005. I'm at around 890 hours and so far, so good. Compressions are usually in the mid-70's and oil burn is usually 8-10 hours per quart. After hearing so many reports of other engines getting 20-25 hrs per qt I was disappointed in my consumption, but after reading Paul's and Bob's posts, I guess it's not really that bad. I'll keep on tracking the oil and maybe start doing more regular compression checks, just in case. That and keep my fingers crossed!

Tom Martin 03-07-2012 12:17 PM

At four hundred hours I sent my cylinders back for the warranty work. When we removed them we found the piston skirts scuffed and the surface of the compression rings delaminated. Apparently this happened on some, not all, of the early rings in this series. I did get cylinders but the pistons had to be replaced. Oil consumption was going up and it is a good thing that I went for the warranty job. Anyways, the rings have been done with a new process and as of last year there were no reported problems. I am happy with the four new, two rebuilt cylinders. So far normal oil consumption after 150 hours. I thought ECI handled the situation ok, at least in my case.

RONSIM 03-07-2012 01:16 PM

How about a quart every two hours

on the RV-10, from day one -- new ECI Nickel cylinders in early 2005 --- "A" Group, 120 hrs total. ----- What is not coming out the breather (lots), I assume is getting burned --- just did compression check, one at 69, rest mid 70's.

Does not sound like Paul is finding anyone with really high-time ECIs.

Bummer!

Ironflight 03-07-2012 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Martin (Post 637253)
When we removed them we found the piston skirts scuffed and the surface of the compression rings delaminated. Apparently this happened on some, not all, of the early rings in this series. .

I took a close look at the pistons that I removed, and I am seeing the same thing Tom! A post earlier talked about the same thing. I have the scuffing on the skirts, and that's one of the reasons that i just decided to go ahead and get all new assemblies - rather than nickel and diming, I just figured I'd call it a top - which isn't that bad at this number of hours.

Still looking for someone (else) with high time Cerminils!

Paul

aerhed 03-07-2012 06:36 PM

Not trying to get OT, but I've always associated scuffed skirts to be indication of too high piston temps. The lyc pistons are cam ground after all and supposedly they do go from oval cold to round at some temp. If they exceed that temp they start to go oval the other way with the big axis perpendicular to the pin. Isn't that right?

rocketbob 03-07-2012 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerhed (Post 637353)
Not trying to get OT, but I've always associated scuffed skirts to be indication of too high piston temps. The lyc pistons are cam ground after all and supposedly they do go from oval cold to round at some temp. If they exceed that temp they start to go oval the other way with the big axis perpendicular to the pin. Isn't that right?

Yep correct.

Skytrash 03-07-2012 07:36 PM

How can I tell if my cylinders are Cerminil?

I have over 2,000 hours on my Aerosport O-320-D1A assembled in early 2004. Still have good compressions, three 78's and a 79. Oil cunsumption has been in the 12-15 hours per quart range and consistent. I do an oil analysis at every oil change and had only one analysis that had slightly high aluminum. All other have been normal.

My parts list that came with the engine doesn't list cylinders, at least I can't find them, maybe a different description. My cylinders are in the SB, the group that requires compression and visual inspections.

I commute to work 4 days a week in the RV, about 1.6 Hobbs time per day. 350 to 400 hours a year.

How do you identify cerminil cylinders?

LifeofReiley 03-07-2012 07:56 PM

Nickel ECI, 2.5 quarts in 50 hr oil change...