What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ebay Fraud

Highflight

Well Known Member
I'd be surprised if most don't already know of this, but I thought I'd mention it "just in case".

I've bid on some avionics recently, none of which I've won (someone always seems to bid more than I can buy it for brand new from Stark's). However, in ALL cases after the auctions would close, I was subsequently contacted by someone pretending to be the original seller who said I could have the item as a "second chance" bidder.

Also, in all cases, I knew right away that it was a fraud, but I would have my own brand of fun pretending to be interested. I even got one of them to send me a photo of them stepping off "their" aircraft.
Anyway, be aware that if you bid on something on Ebay and don't win it, and are then contacted by the supposed seller offering to sell it to you anyway, know that it's just a scammer.

(Sorry about that Doug; I didn't realize... :eek: )

Last edited:
I had the same thing happen to me on a printer I was bidding on. Received two such notifications after the auction closed, then received a notice from the original seller warning everyone that it was not them sending out the second chance notices. Must be pretty wide spread since this happened in two totally separate catagories. Everyone beware!!
Bill Waters

ebay fraud

I'm not sure I'm catching the scam. If you're contacted after the auction and offered the item for YOUR high bid, I'd think that should be acceptable, if not downright excellent (assuming you didn't over bid). This did happen to me once. If the item is offered at the high bid price (assuming a non performing bidder or a scam) then you're free to say no thanks, you're high bid was $X and that's all its worth to you, its up to the seller to decide if they'll part with it. I'd expect eBay fees to be paid (is that the scam?) but otherwise, any outcome seems acceptable to me because you're free to say you're not interested. Then again, I may be missing something obvious.

Don RV-9A Fuselage

The scam is that people who have nothing to do with the original item contact you and offer you a "good" deal on something that they never owned.

For instance, and just for grins, I contacted the ACTUAL original seller who told me that he had in fact already shipped the won item to the high bidder (not me). Yet, someone had already contacted me claiming that he was the original seller but that he didn't sell it so he was offering it to me.
Of course I can say no (and always do), but others may not be so careful about knowing how this scamming is done; hence my warning.

Make sense? That's the scam.

me, too... Was bidding on some avionics and sure enough keep getting a ton of emails. The first one I played dumb and told the person I'd fly to any major airport and do the deal in cash. Next thing I know I get a reply from the guy saying he was in Athens, Greece and wanted Western Union.

Was tempted to take our (Delta) flight to Athens just for kicks. My wife and I love visiting Greece but probably wouldn't have come home with what I was bidding on.

Watch out for those eBay scams...

If you look cloesly at the Ebay "look-alike" page sent to you, you will see right away that the persons ID is different than the original auction as well as the email address.

Here's the scam Don

Don, fortunately I can sell you any item you have seen on ebay because the original sale fell through. Just send me a check or money order for $XX dollars for any item you see on ebay and I will cheerfully send you any item you want in return. By the way, act quickly as these items won't last for long, and be sure to send the check or money order by Fedex or DHL, not US Postal Service, so I can ship your items immediately to you.

Read - You send me the money I send you nothing.

Read - Use FedEx or DHL because I don't want to get prosecuted for US mail fraud.

Good luck and happy bidding!

eBay fraud

I have been lucky and got some great deals on eBay, but of late I have received over the last few months request to "up date" my info for eBay or PayPal. It is obvious they are fake, but they really tried to deceive and sure some might fall pray. The reasons I knew:

PayPal or eBay never asks for this info
Would address me by name and not "dear PayPal member"
Request sent to e-mail address not related to my eBay/PayPal
Would never ask for this info (because they know it already)
the actual address was blocked with a fake address window

Be careful George

I just want to add I think eBay is a fantastic place to sell or buy almost anything. The fact is eBay does have many safe guards, but sadly if there is any weakness in the system low life?s will try to explore it. By in large the eBay community works on trust and good faith.

I have been astounded at what great service and deals I have got. Also as a seller, people often comment on my fast service and exceeding expectations. eBay does have safe guards. For one, if any activity is taken on my account I get an e-mail. I am not sure how people get good accounts and exploit them with out the true owners knowledge. Remember to always check the rating of the buyer or seller. Ebay is self-policing. This is the main defense and protection. On any auction both the seller and buyer leave a comment good or bad. If someone has many transactions all with good feedback you have some assurance it is a scam. If the person has a no or few feedbacks or negative feedbacks that could be a problem.

The worst thing that ever happened to me was I sold an old cel phone and the buyer did not pay. I did not send it so I was out only a few bucks for auction (and the waste of time). This person was removed from eBay because he did this before. His rating was -1. I should have deleted his bid, which you can do, but it was my first time transaction buying or selling anything on eBay. Another time I bought a portable CD player and the AC adapter was not sent. It was a hassle, but eventually got it. You are very anonymous selling or buying until a transaction closes. After that the seller and winning bidder/buyer can contact each other and exchange info. With my A/C adapter problem, after 4 weeks and several e-mails I got no satisfaction, so I contacted eBay and they "mediate" it. I got the AC adapter. These are the only two problems in 4 years and 100 transactions. The lack of feedback is not necessarily bad, only that they have no track record. Someone with 50, 100, 1000 transactions and positive feedbacks is likely trust worthy. It is a hassle to set up an account, but once you do you will be hooked. Just use common sense and read up on eBays security policies and tips. :cool:

Last edited:
internet scams

Great advice in the previous posts.

Be very suspicious with these kinds of transactions. Scammers often use honest people's E-bay IDs to "sell" stuff and rip off others. Many people have easy to guess passwords. Check up on people before you send lots of money. If the deal sounds too good to be true, you can be sure it is. Never underestimate the cleverness of these scammers - they are pros. This is how they feed their kids, so they learn to be good at it, and go for our weaknesses.

I kept getting those bogus messages a while back. I called E-Bay and Pay Pal and they confirmed that they were fake. I forwarded the messages to the E-Bay Fraud Squad and they have since stopped.

Roberta

rv8ch said:
Great advice in the previous posts.

Be very suspicious with these kinds of transactions. Scammers often use honest people's E-bay IDs to "sell" stuff and rip off others. Snip

Man - isn't that the truth! I've been ripped off twice in one day by people hijacking someones legitimate account. Paypal (owned by E-bay) did not respond to my email - so I took it to the credit card company. Then two months later Paypal suspended me from ever using them again for not going through them! E-bay refused to cover it with their supposed coverage guarantee because it was not an E-bay customer who did the scamming! Talked to a detective following up on the scam - someone from Sweden apparently ripped off millions of dollars from thousands of people, and the account holder never knew it happened until the death threats started coming through. Fraud is so rampant on E-bay that I refuse to use them anymore, and obviously will not be using paypal either.

Dunno (scratches head). Over the past several weeks I have received numerous emails from "eBay" saying they need my information 'updated' because of 'lack of activity'. One email even mentioned 'questionable' activity. Should I be suspicious? :confused:

BTW, I simply deleted each one of those... ;)

Skyhook said:
Dunno (scratches head). Over the past several weeks I have received numerous emails from "eBay" saying they need my information 'updated' because of 'lack of activity'. One email even mentioned 'questionable' activity. Should I be suspicious? :confused:

BTW, I simply deleted each one of those... ;)

Yes, those are fraudelent emails.. do NOT click on their links and fill in your info.. That's how the scammer's get your info.. :(

But.

But on the other hand, I have been selling #40 drill bits on eBay 100 at a crack.
when the bidding is over I offer any one who bids $25 or more a second chance offer-- it is a eBay option!
Frank K
90989 Waiting for fuse

Back