What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wiring Conduit

Wills_9A

I have a stupid question for those of you who have used the corrugated nylon conduit in your wings. Did you slice it down the middle to ease in placement in the ribs, or did you just squeeze it through. Also, did everyone here use this type, or have some of you used the solid PVC type prosealed in place? Thanks,

Will
www.wills-rv9a.com

Just yank on it ...

It will pull through but sounds like you are ripping the wing apart. If you cut it down the middle there is a good chance a wire will fall out and rub against the push tube.

Oh, and don?t forget to proseal it in place to keep it from being cut by the ribs.

I also am leaving a pull string in there incase I ever want to run another wire down the wing. There is also a second pull string in the left wing that comes out by the pitot tube in case I ever install a heated pitot.

re: conduit

I'm ready to run conduit in my -10 wings. I thought about making the inboard rib holes just large enough for the tube to run through. Then leaving, say, the 2 most outboard & 2 most inboard a little smaller (for grip). Then bonding all the inboard holes. :confused:

Marshall Alexander
RV10 builder, wings

RV10Man said:
I'm ready to run conduit in my -10 wings. I thought about making the inboard rib holes just large enough for the tube to run through. Then leaving, say, the 2 most outboard & 2 most inboard a little smaller (for grip). Then bonding all the inboard holes. :confused:

Marshall Alexander
RV10 builder, wings
That would work Marshall. Run a bead of RTV around the opening in each of the ribs and that should hole them in place just fine.

I like Marshall's idea, but I read in the Van's FAQ that the hole is not to exceed 5/8 exterior diameter leaving only 1/2 inch interior diam. Are you planning on using smaller conduit (if so, what size and where are you getting it), or making the hole larger than 5/8in?

Will
www.wills-rv-9a.com

I used poly tubing , 1/2" ID & 5/8" OD, from Ace Hardware. This is smooth inside & out.
I used a carpenter spade bit to cut the holes (5/8") in the ribs. They zip a hole through the rib really easy. If you file it so the sharp outer cutting edges are more pointed it works even better. I usually drill a # 40 pilot hole so it doesn't creep.

Bob Olds RV-4
Charleston,Arkansas

f1rocket said:
That would work Marshall. Run a bead of RTV around the opening in each of the ribs and that should hole them in place just fine.
That's just what I had in mind. Thanks. :)

Marshall

Wills_9A said:
I like Marshall's idea, but I read in the Van's FAQ that the hole is not to exceed 5/8 exterior diameter leaving only 1/2 inch interior diam. Are you planning on using smaller conduit (if so, what size and where are you getting it), or making the hole larger than 5/8in?

Will
www.wills-rv-9a.com
I'll double check my plans, but I don't remember seeing anything about maximum diameter on the 10. Although, I know there is some common sense to be used. I think the tube I'm using is 3/4" od. :)

Marshall Alexander

I used the corrugated plastic tubing Van sells for the conduit. If I had it to do over again I'd use really light PVC tubing. The wires will pull/push through a lot easier.

svanarts said:
I used the corrugated plastic tubing Van sells for the conduit. If I had it to do over again I'd use really light PVC tubing. The wires will pull/push through a lot easier.

I had an electrical "fish" for doing house wiring from an old home improvement project and that slid right down the Van's conduit, tied the wires and a pull string for future use and pulled them right through. I suspect a section of copper house wire would work just as well. Nothing like pushing a rope.

N941WR said:
I had an electrical "fish" for doing house wiring from an old home improvement project and that slid right down the Van's conduit, tied the wires and a pull string for future use and pulled them right through. I suspect a section of copper house wire would work just as well. Nothing like pushing a rope.

Tie a piece of nylon string to a cotton ball (or two). Put it in one end of the conduit. Suck it out the other end with your shop vac. Works great.

PJ
RV-10 #40032

Back