What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tom Moore's RV-7A down

Departed X50 not xso

The FAA report says the aircraft departed xso, but X50 is Eggenfellner's home field. I know that Tom's airplane has been with Eggenfellner to test some new engine modifications, so it sounds like one didn't work out.

Glad to see no injuries, and I hope the aircraft is ok.

Tom Moore's RV

Just got off the phone with Jan. He is fine, and there is a small amount of damage to Tom's plane, described as dings from an off field landing, but nothing major, and nothing that can not be fixed.
The cause of the accident was FOD, and not the engine itself. Jan was testing a previously manufactured manifold, and it had to be modified to fit Tom's engine. During this process a piece of aluminum was cut from the manifold, and it was thought to have dropped from the cowl. The peice worked its way around in the cowl, and got into the PSRU and destroyed all three belts, there was not a belt guard installed at the time.
The PSRU has 3 belts. This is setup so that the PSRU will not be effected by loosing any one belt. The PSRU has the additional capability, for reduced power with 1 belt for an emergency.
Dan Lloyd
RV10E N289DT
H6 Scheduled for delivery in August

Flight testing

I guess this is why they pay test pilots the big bucks! :)

william weesner said:
7a ,
landed in a feild
didnt flip over
maybe van is right ;)
being a good pilot helps

For sure it does.
But an engine out landing in soft river bottom sand, rocks, mud, or a ditch will probably result in a flip - good pilot or not. The nose wheel is small and won't float on much of anything but a firm surface. After 40 knots or so on slow down, the pilot is along for the ride. The elevator is useless without a prop blast.
Been there, done that, twice, once with a flip and once without.
dd

Back