What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Kitplanes in Iraq

Brian130

Well Known Member
Do you think Avery overnights to Kirkuk or Edwards AFB, CA? :rolleyes:

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123019621

060417-F-1287F-057.jpg

p.s. Please resist any urge to make this political - it's about an airplane and nothing more...

Last edited:
Great Video

I have a *very* old laptop, 1998 model IBM Thinkpad 600, and video never works right on it, but that video worked perfectly. Looks like Google, Apple, and Microsoft need to to go to the USAF to learn how to do video.

Rutan?

I'm surprised they didn't ask for help from Burt Rutan's operation only 20 miles or so away from Edwards.... Lots of composite expertize at Mojave airport...

gil in Tucson

This is likely from Iraq. That is a Comp Air 7, originally built by Aerocomp for the UAE air service. They bought 10 about 4 years ago and gave 3 to Iraq about 2 years ago. Unfortunately one of those went down about a year ago with 2 of our guys and 2 Iraqis on board. Circumstances of that crash to my knowledge have been classified. CAW

Yes that's sad

cawmd82 said:
This is likely from Iraq. That is a Comp Air 7, originally built by Aerocomp for the UAE air service. They bought 10 about 4 years ago and gave 3 to Iraq about 2 years ago. Unfortunately one of those went down about a year ago with 2 of our guys and 2 Iraqis on board. Circumstances of that crash to my knowledge have been classified. CAW
Small correction one AF pilot, one Iraq, and three other Americans, total 5, 4 USA, 1 Iraq. Why there was 5 onboard I don't know. :( G

Trying not to be political

I can imagine it costs a lot to employ all these guys to fix these planes up, not to mention the parts costs. I would think that it might be more cost efficient to bring back the O-2 (skymasters) into service and send them overseas.

After all the video says it will be used for pipeline inspection, I think the O-2 could be used for that. You could even contract the job to Cessna to restore to the O-2's to flying status. That would be a boost for Cessna.

Food for thought.

Paul

Turbines

Paul... seems like they want planes that don't run 100LL.

Are there any turbine O-2s around?

gil in Tucson

Back