What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

North Carolina

Bob Axsom

Well Known Member
We flew our RV-6A over to Asheville and then to Winston-Salem this week and while it was not a group Fly-in it is worth sharing as a special place to fly into as a flight of one. Monday we landed at the airport at Asheville with the intent of touring the Biltmore Estate. As I pulled off of the runway the controller told me to hold for the experimental then taxi to the ramp. I replied "hold for the other experimental then taxi to the ramp" thinking "band of brother" thoughts, with comradely waves in passing, etc. Alas, it didn't happen. When he taxied by there was not so much as a nod. As I taxied onto the ramp he took off like a rocket and I do not mean those sharp looking planes based on RVs. I have never seen such performance - it was a turboprop Legend. A great show!

Actually, one of the FBO guys said there was a homebuilt fly-in there a couple of weeks ago and he said he never saw so many different models of RVs. If you get to go to a fly-in there it could satisfy more than just your need for a RV group fix. The Biltmore Estate is open to the public (for a fee of course) and it is worth a very long trip (the best kind) to visit it. You get to fly to a new destination and your spouse is overjoyed with what the estate and mansion have to offer in the way of a glimpse into the world of the very, very wealthy who would never dream of building an airplane in their garage.

Wednesday we flew to Winston-Salem even though our real destination was High Point. Years ago Jeanine had read about the ability to find a wide variety of fine furniture there and she had saved the newspaper clipping. This trip was to give her the opportunity to see just how good it was and buy a couple of things for the house. WOW! even I was impressed. This one place called Furnitureland South has what you need and it is so big and the quality is so good that you need two days to do the job. The job on day one is look at all the furniture and record the manufacturer, description, item number, location (room number) of the furniture that will satisfy your desires. The second day is required to eliminate the options and select the winners. We ordered a cocktail/coffee table and a dining room cabinet. Saturday we flew back home from the beautiful green lands and mountains of North Carolina to the beautiful green lands and mountains of Arkansas.

Bob Axsom

[ed. This post was moved to the newly created 'Trip Writeups' section by D.Reeves]

Last edited by a moderator:
Bob,

Great to hear these kinds of stories. Keeps the motivation high and will remind me through the tough times that it is worth the journey.

I'm now relocated to Arkanasas and going through the deburring process. Yuk. Hopefully we can hook up when my 8 is done.

Regards,

Donald
RV08 Empennage Underway
N-284DP Reserved

praterdj said:
Great to hear these kinds of stories. Keeps the motivation high and will remind me through the tough times that it is worth the journey.

I have to agree! Doug, the trip write-ups forum is great!

It is worth the sacrifice

It took me 8 years to complete our QB RV-6A under some demanding schedule constraints (kind of like getting a private pilot license by taking one lesson a month). When you get it done there are still some serious hurdles to overcome but in the end it is a very efficient airplane that you have every right to be proud of. For me there is that private moment when I raise the hangar door - awesome!

Bob Axsom

A question about the Turbo Legend ...

Bob Axsom said:
We flew our RV-6A over to Asheville and then to Winston-Salem this week and while it was not a group Fly-in it is worth sharing as a special place to fly into as a flight of one. Monday we landed at the airport at Asheville with the intent of touring the Biltmore Estate. As I pulled off of the runway the controller told me to hold for the experimental then taxi to the ramp. I replied "hold for the other experimental then taxi to the ramp" thinking "band of brother" thoughts, with comradely waves in passing, etc. Alas, it didn't happen. When he taxied by there was not so much as a nod. As I taxied onto the ramp he took off like a rocket and I do not mean those sharp looking planes based on RVs. I have never seen such performance - it was a turboprop Legend. A great show!

<<<SNIP>>>

[ed. This post was moved to the newly created 'Trip Writeups' section by D.Reeves]
Bob Axsom

Just curious Bob,

What color was the Turbo-Legend?

I might be a little bit familiar with it.

James

Last edited:
Coffe table/Cabinet Mod

I have got to see the mod you made to carry the coffee table and cabinet home in your plane!! :D

John
RV-10 #40208 Wings
RV-8 N94DW

Red and White

I was a little distant from it except for the quick taxi by but the colors I remember were red and white.

Bob Axsom

The Turbine Legend is a nice airplane. 300kts at 50gph at 17,000ft, and 5500 fpm at gross. :eek:

Photo of the Biltmore

This is a photo of the home of George W. Vanderbilt.

Bob Axsom

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Back