What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Egg Sube Redrive

rv6ejguy

Well Known Member
Eggenfellner has posted some photos of his new 6 belt Superdrive for the H6 engines in the Yahoo Group photos section. A very different design to his original drives or any others out there. Interesting. :cool:

It appears that they will be focusing most new energies primarily on the H6 engines for all airframes from RV9-RV10 by using different drive ratios to limit hp and the addition of a supercharger for the high hp versions.

i haven't been to the egg site yet today to check it out, but is the other redrive still available? not sure how i feel about belt driven redrives...

I like gear drives generally but this uses three splayed shafts with six cog belts in total. Easy to inspect, oiling requirements minimal with just bearings in the bath and redundancy. If one belt breaks, you still have 5 left. Pretty innovative design. Easier to do several different ratios as well.

i went to the group site to find the pics, and couldn't find 'em. :confused: are they in one of the albums? it's been quiet there for several days...

gotcha...wasn't a member of that group (am a member at E-Subie though). i filled out to join this evening. :cool:

New Eggenfellner redrive

Here's a picture:
gen3side10kp.jpg

I'm not sure how he got it to float in space like that.

Highflight said:
Eggenfeller appears to be caught in a quandry because in his own FAQ, he seems to offer a lot of criticism of belt drives in favor of his (previous) gear drive.
http://www.eggenfellneraircraft.com/FAQ.htm#psru
QUOTE]
I was thinking the same thing.

The belts will last virtually forever, but that new PSRU will suck a lot of power out of the prop. Belts are notorious power-robbers, as are chains.

I'd be curious to see it on a dyno compared to the geared version.

ship said:
Highflight said:
The belts will last virtually forever, but that new PSRU will suck a lot of power out of the prop. Belts are notorious power-robbers, as are chains.
Actually, toothed belts, chains and gears all rank as excellent in power transmission efficiency. Think about it, if the unit had poor efficiency ("robbed a bunch of horsepower"), it would melt/burst into flame!
The only place for the robbed power to appear is as heat in the robbing unit.

If these transmission elements were notoriously poor in efficiency, they would have gone the way of the dinosaur. Instead, they are commonly used in all forms of industry to effect motion everywhere.

-mike

Helical gears and HTD belts exhibit transmission efficiencies of around 98.5%. The quote above sums up this myth quite well. If we say that it was down around a 10% loss, we'd be seeing a heat flux on the order of 15,000 watts on the gears or belts. Say ten 1500 watt space heaters focused on the redrive. Now that would get pretty hot wouldn't it?

So what is the precentage?

rv6ejguy said:
Helical gears and HTD belts exhibit transmission efficiencies of around 98.5%. The quote above sums up this myth quite well. If we say that it was down around a 10% loss, we'd be seeing a heat flux on the order of 15,000 watts on the gears or belts. Say ten 1500 watt space heaters focused on the redrive. Now that would get pretty hot wouldn't it?
Reference please. I don't have my machine element book from my undergrad engineering work, but 1.5% is outstanding.

From Gates runner they say V-belts with miss alignment, wrong tension, etc... can be as much as 10% loss in efficency.

Gates goes on to say that the Cogged flat belt can produce a 5% efficiency gain over V-belts.

I agree 10% sounds high for the modern flat belts. I would think it was at least 3%-5%. In fact Gates says a "Properly designed" system should be between 98 to 95 percent efficient, which is obviously not 10%. However it is not free.

Gear drive? I believe planetary is most efficient. Again I don't have any refrence but design, bearings, gear type, loading and lubrication are critical. I think that with a proper design its at least equivalent to a HTD belt. The belt design is easier and likely more tollerant of errors.

As far as heat transfer from the redrive is thru convention and conduction (thru engine block). You might be surprised at how much heat is going on. Does anyone install a temp gage to measure oil temp in the prop reduction drive?

Thanks George

Last edited:
bhassel said:
I was sorry to see this posted on a site that I regularly follow.

http://rv9a.card-net.org/archives/category/engine/
Yep. And I tried real hard to give nothing but the facts of my experience. I'm way more pissed, and out some real money because of this deal, than I chose to describe. Hopefully my experience will help somebody else. People debate the technical pros and cons all the time. But there are business issues, that go way beyond the details of the applicability of the package.

Last edited:
Delivery issues

scard said:
... People debate the technical pros and cons all the time. But there are business issues, that go way beyond the details of the applicability of the package.
You've got that right. This is a very sad story. I hope your replacement engine arrives in time, and works well.

gmcjetpilot said:
As far as heat transfer from the redrive is thru convention and conduction (thru engine block). You might be surprised at how much heat is going on. Does anyone install a temp gage to measure oil temp in the prop reduction drive?

Thanks George

My Gearbox runs about even with oil temps during climb (197-210) and then during cruise, cools to about 5 degrees below the oil temp. So I generally see 185 or so during cruise on the gearbox.

Nathan Larson
N217JT RV9E 460 hours

I've never seen the gearbox oil over 65C with coolant at 70-80C. The redrive is bolted directly to the case so there is heat transfer from the hotter case to the drive. Obviously the drive is not creating much heat.

If you consult a power engineering text, they'll usually list a loss of 1-2% per mesh on spur and helical gears.

Sprocket alignment on belts is very critical. Life can be measured in the dozens of hours if these are off too far. Most belt drives have some method to adjust true on the sprockets and all manufacturers comment how critical this is to good belt life.

Here is an interesting discussion of different gearsets, advantages, strength comparisons etc. They list efficiencies of helical gearsets at 95-98%. This is dependent on ratio of course. The typical low ratios around 2 to 1 used in aircraft should be in the upper end of that range.

http://www.automation.com/sitepages/pid1906.php

The Konus Konex site lists HTD belt efficiencies at 98-99%.

The fact that the oil temp on my Marcotte (internal helical type) never exceeds 65C with no cooler and no insulating layer between drive and crankcase, clearly shows that it is quite efficient. Contrast this to hypoid gearsets used in car differentials where in race trim, external coolers are usually required for road racing. I measured oil temp on my Toyota diff at 325F with no cooler! A cooler was quickly installed and the oil would last one season between changes rather than one race.

Last edited:
What is a few percent between friends

rv6ejguy said:
Here is an interesting discussion of different gearsets, advantages, strength comparisons etc. They list efficiencies of helical gearsets at 95-98%. This is dependent on ratio of course. The typical low ratios around 2 to 1 used in aircraft should be in the upper end of that range.

http://www.automation.com/sitepages/pid1906.php

The Konus Konex site lists HTD belt efficiencies at 98-99%.

The fact that the oil temp on my Marcotte (internal helical type) never exceeds 65C with no cooler and no insulating layer between drive and crankcase, clearly shows that it is quite efficient. Contrast this to hypoid gearsets used in car differentials where in race trim, external coolers are usually required for road racing. I measured oil temp on my Toyota diff at 325F with no cooler! A cooler was quickly installed and the oil would last one season between changes rather than one race.
99%! :eek: That is what you get when you let a sales man write the sales brochure. No need to quibble about a few percent but 98-99% sounds kind of tight. There are TOO many variables, like pulley size, length, width, reduction ration and power transferred. I guess it is 100% standing still, but I think the gate numbers I stated before 95% to 98% are realistic. 99% with no specifics is meaningless.

I spent a whole semester in Machine Elements, learning every detail you could imagine about gears, belts, threaded fasteners, springs and and a long list of mechanical elements. Good times. This is what engineers do in the most basic sense, design gears. Like a belt and another machine elements, there is no free lunch. They all have pros and cons.

Bottom line you guys can rest assure that a Belt is not going to be a huge power robber, but 95% is not unrealistic but think it will be between 95-98%. No one knows until you dyno it. You have to be realistic, when you transfer power there are losses. That is OK, it is just part of the deal.

Gear vs. Belt? Long list of pros and cons, but the belt has some clear advantages, so I would not be to concerned with what Eggenfellner is doing.
He just got caught up in his own sales pitch for the "gear reduction".

The belt may be 1% less efficient than a perfect gear reduction, but who knows? No body dynos there engines. Eggenfellner thinks there is no loss based on his sales brochures. I don't get all the belts, I guess one is not strong enough or its for redundancy. If done for redundancy I would say a belt operated within the manufactures limits should be very reliable. I don't have any specs or manufacture design guides for large cog belts, but usually the manufacture has design equations to help engineers size the belt for an application in the back of their catalogs.

Belted Power has long successes with their V6 conversion using a cogged belt. You don't hear of them breaking. Also belts today are better than they where just 15 years or so ago. I think you can thank all those rubber belted OH cams for that became popular in the 80's, Gates and other rubber companies. (my '88 acura legend V6 has OH cams, at 225k I am only on my second belt with no problems.) V-belts are not efficient; That is the reason all belts on cars (including accessories) are now flat.

George

PS I asked about the H6 and he says it will add 40 lb over the 2.5L 4 banger. I am sorry but I don't believe that, I think it will be 60 lbs or more. It will be interesting to see what kind of performance a RV-10 gets with it. It will be at least 50 hp under a (I)O540.

Last edited:
gmcjetpilot said:
PS I asked about the H6 and he says it will add 40 lb over the 2.5L 4 banger. I am sorry but I don't believe that, I think it will be 60 lbs or more. It will be interesting to see what kind of performance a RV-10 gets with it. It will be at least 50 hp under a (I)O540.

George,
You have a selective belief system going. If something meets your internal preconception then it's OK. If it doesn't, (like the H6 is 40 pounds over the 2.5L), then it couldn't possibly be right. I have seen both engines mounted and can easily believe the 40 pound figure. The H6 is incredibly compact for a 6 cylinder flat engine. The H6 is rated at more than 260 HP in several of the automotive installations. Supercharged (As Eggenfellner would use it), it should easily make the 260HP of the IO540 in standard normally aspirated form. Additionally the only reason for the new re-drive was to allow more reduction to enable the H6 to run in the powerband! If you are going to to gear or belt or however you reduce your engine you should deal to the engine's strengths. In a rotary application I want a 2.5-2.8:1 reduction if possible. The rotary will rev easily, but isn't a low end torquer so use the reduction to place the takeoff RPM in the powerband! I know this is obvious be ut everyone seems to be ignoring the obvious. BTW the H6 WILL be 40 pounds lighter than an IO 540. I have no stake in this as I won't be using a Eggenfellner engine.

Bill Jepson

Rotary10-RV said:
If you are going to to gear or belt or however you reduce your engine you should deal to the engine's strengths. In a rotary application I want a 2.5-2.8:1 reduction if possible. The rotary will rev easily, but isn't a low end torquer so use the reduction to place the takeoff RPM in the powerband! Bill Jepson
Hear! Hear!
Bombardier decided not to worry about perceived high rpm wear problems by choosing a 3:1 reduction on their engines!
Using Eggenfellner's newer larger ratio belted drive on his already installed base would allow a significant power increase with zero increase in weight.
I might even consider changing my redrive if I had one of the 1.8:1 earlier versions. That might even allow the successful use of a fixed pitch prop ala Tracy Crook.

-mike

The EZ30 develops around 250hp at 6500rpm with a relatively restrictive exhaust, twin cats etc. The aircraft exhaust almost certainly will be no worse and I do think Jan intends to be adding an Eaton blower on the RV10 installations. It is highly doubtful that these will produce 50 hp less than an IO-540.

Back