What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Now, here's experimentation

aadamson

Well Known Member
Ok, so you want an ethernet based interconnect system in your airplane. Need to hookup a bunch of "serial" devices to each other.... Here ya go, just put in a switch and start plugging stuff in :)...

http://www.lantronix.com/device-networking/embedded-device-servers/ - specifically the little teeny xports...

hmm, the possiblities are limitless. BTW, I talked to a friend who found a deal and got these modules for $7 a piece at qty 50... He's putting them all over his house, alarm system, phone system, low voltage light controllers, etc. He says they can also support "custom" code, nifty little buggers.

Alan

Lantronix XPort serial - ethernet adapters

Wow, these are amazing. When I think about how much I used to pay for terminal servers...

Experimenting with electronics

Several years ago, our company was approached by a European company requesting our support in designing an in-flight entertainment system for airliners.

Our components were ethernet switching chips.

We supported this company (as we would any customer) until we found out their application. At that point, we notified our customer that we would not support aviation applications of our components, and they were forced to redesign with a chip set from one of our competitors.

This redesigned entertainment system was used in Swissair flight 111. The root cause of this crash was found to be an overload caused by the in-flight entertainment system.

I've always wondered if we did the right thing... I think so.

Vern Little
RV-9A

aadamson said:
hmm, the possiblities are limitless. BTW, I talked to a friend who found a deal and got these modules for $7 a piece at qty 50...

At 7 bucks they have something but the price I found in quantity 50 is 87 bucks.

Where did he get them?

Chuck

PS Go hawks!

Back