What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel return

Scott Spencer

I'm New Here
Any advice on plumbing a fuel return line at the tanks out there?

I intend to run auto fuel and want to be able to purge vapor out of the line. It will be coming from a T at the carb back to a four-way valve then to the tank from which it came.

Thanks,
Scott

Scott Spencer said:
Any advice on plumbing a fuel return line at the tanks out there?

I intend to run auto fuel and want to be able to purge vapor out of the line. It will be coming from a T at the carb back to a four-way valve then to the tank from which it came.

Thanks,
Scott

Is vapor really a problem in the line? With a Carb, I'd just install a low pressure boost pump right after the selector.

For a vapor return line, I don't think you need to go back to the tank.
As long as you plumb back to a cool fuel source, it should work fine in an auto gas carbeurated scenario. This is not the same as a fuel return for a FI system.
Possible options would be to return it to the fuel selector, if you have plugged up one of the inlets, or primer. Or, just put a T in the fuel line somewhere.
All you are doing is giving the vaporized gas a place to go, other than into the carb, and then be able to condense in a cooler environment. Remember, the return line should have a restrictor in it, because you only want the vapor to flow into it, where you T off near the carb inlet. The return line can be smaller than the fuel line, in diameter, for this reason.
I have used a system like this and it worked for me after I had vapor lock problems under a hot cowl, using MoGas. (FYI - The vapor usually occurred after a flight, some heat soaking from sitting, and then when you put in the power for take off it would start sputtering due to vapor in the lines. Winter gas on a warm day was especially vulnerable. However, mixing avgas (~20%) along with MoGas will also usually fix the problem.)

Fuel return line

Scott,
I added a #4 an fitting to the right fuel tank inboard rib. I then ran a #4 line to the carburator to connect tho the "T" fitting you were refering to. Only draw back is that the right tank now becomes the primary tank when the tank is full. If you have the right tank full and are using the left tank to draw from then you will push fuel out the overboard vent from the return line. I considered it a small inconvience to keep cool fuel to the carb on those hot summer days we have in the south. There is some debate as to wheter you need a check valve in the return line so when in doubt, install it for piece of mind.

Make sure that you "T" fitting is an orfice fitting returning back to the tank.

Back