What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV Heaven in Southern England

Mark Albery

Well Known Member
Just back from a fantastic day's RV'ating in Southern England.

Today was the Royal Aero Club's City Livery Trophy races at Compton Abbas; an almost perfect grass airfield set high amongst rolling downland. Four RVs were amongst the lineup for the handicap races. First two to cross the line were Richard Marsden in G-TNGO and Gerry Humphreys in EI-HUM, the infamous "flying cow", both RV-6s. Close behind were John Kelsall in his RV-8 G-KELZ and Nigel Reddish in G-SEVN.

Next on the agenda was an RV fly-in at Popham in Hampshire - another favourite grass-roots airfield a short hop away in Hampshire. Must have been at least 30 RVs there and plenty of others too. A perfect day of RVs with freinds old and new - hard to beat.

A few pics:
DSC_0030.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0036.jpg

DSC_0068.jpg

Last edited:
As an expat Brit who gained his PPL at the Coventry Aeroplane Club I'd love to see the pictures but the links are broken. Hope to can fix them.
Jim Sharkey
RV6 - Finishing Up

Last edited:
Know it well. I did instrument training there many years ago with Wes Simpson and Ernie Ball and worked for a while round the corner at the Middlemarch.

The rest of the pictures are at http://s157.photobucket.com/albums/t50/alberym/Compton Abbas Popham 2008/ if you're interested.

I flew many times with Wes and did my check ride with John Hill who unfortunately passed away quite a few years ago. Also familiar with back tracking the Charlie Tango NDB (boom biddy boom biddy - boom) for a non precision approach to 23 when I did my IMC rating - that could make you sweat. I still drop by the new club house when I'm in the UK. When I left for the states the club house was in an old WW2 Nissen Hut on the west side of the field.

Last edited:
great pictures ...

Your first picture of the red plane taken from above is my new desktop wallpaper! "Flying Cow", great name and graphics.:)

Flying Cow

Haven't posted for quite some time. Just had to comment. The "Flying Cow" could be mistaken for an advertisement for Gateway Computers! Watch out for a "copywrite infringement" lawsuit!!

relatively above?

... red plane taken from above ...

I like the picture too. But I think from 'above' is relative... Blue sky in the background, passenger's head really tilted to the right, shadow on the left wing, all the other pics from a feet on the ground perspective... I think the pilot of the red plane was in a 'bit' of a bank. Looks like a lot of fun.

-Jim

Last edited:
Yes, the picture of "Tango" (G-TNGO) was taken from below!

I guess the significance of "Tango" isn't obvious to our American cousins.
It's to do with an orange drink, that had an advertising campaign over here a while back with the punch line "You've been tango'd". In this case Gerry in the "flying cow" was well-and-truly Tango'd into 2nd place.

Back