What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Could we get an HONEST weight comparison database going?

cjensen

Well Known Member
It's one of those things...not really a "Never Ending Debate", we know MOST alternatives are heavier, it's more of a need for factual information.

What I'm thinking is, if I could ask those that are able to do so to weigh each piece as it goes on, then add up the numbers. This will take a while, I'm sure, but I think it's a good idea to get a database put together to be able to compare REAL installed weights of traditional and alternative engines. I plan to do this as I go along anyway, so I'll have my number at the end, but what about yours?

We've all seen the numbers for dry weights on most engines out there, and a LOT of speculation on what the final installed weight is with all fluids and hoses, but there is nothing out there that I can find that shows actual INSTALLED weight. Of course every single one will vary, and that's what I'm really interested in. I want to see what the difference is between an installed O-320 to an IO-360-A1B6D angle valve to an RWS 13B to a Chevy V6 and so on.

No need to debate really, just post some real numbers...:cool:

Great idea, and it will be difficult to get data. The final flight weight might help to some extent, but it obscures details where real planning and comparison of parts and systems are needed.

To pull it off, every part will probably have to be cataloged and weighed separately much like Tracy Crook posted in with his early model 13B installation on his RV4. There will be a lot of variability in engine mounts, manifolds, pipes/mufflers, hoses and liquids, radiators, redrives, props, paint, upholstery, instrumentation, and radio(s) used.

One of my "concerns" with past reporting of comparative engine weights (and costs, btw) is that Lycomming leaves a bunch of parts off of their engines which have to added later- I wonder how many include those added parts in the baseline.

Once planes are done, few will be dismantling to get component weights but for those in process, this would be great to get numbers before you assemble everything.

In the meantime, there is nothing like all up empty weight for a general comparison. Please do this with paint, pants, fairings, interior, ELT, oil, coolant etc.- everything in the plane the way you fly it.

As a data point, my 6A weighed 1130 as above when first completed. It has grown to a staggering 1176 now. I think I will be able to get this back down to about 1140 when I ditch the multiple rads. I've got a heavy steam gauge panel, twin comms, lots 'o paint, full interior, soundproofing, backup battery, ELT and a few pounds of extra R&D wiring. No lights or strobes however.

Weight growth was mainly from more rads and coolant volume, the second battery, turbo scavenge pump, larger turbo compressor and some cowling reapirs and mods.

I do have component weights for my EG33 turbo so far so I should be able to come up with that figure. We do have to add rad, duct and coolant weights to those too.

Last edited:

"Dan's RV Project" has lots of numbers, broken down by engine, RV model and prop. It is as good a place as any to make comparisons give or take a bit considering there are liars in the world on this subject. :)

http://www.rvproject.com/wab/

I am regressing. Burt Rutan always said if you throw it up and comes back down, it is too heavy to be in an airplane. I'd like to strip mine down and do it over with that premise in mind. There is nothing like a light weight airplane....as opposed to a bloated version of the same model.

Well...this thread is already creeping from what I hoped it would be.

I think most everyone knows about the WAB page on Dan's site. I DON'T want to do another empty weight thread. All up empty weights are certainly valuable, but not what I was thinking for this.

JUST FWF for those that are still in the construction phase is what I'm really interested in.

Of course there will be all kinds of variance in components, but that's the point...:)

20B FWR Weight

Well...this thread is already creeping from what I hoped it would be.

I think most everyone knows about the WAB page on Dan's site. I DON'T want to do another empty weight thread. All up empty weights are certainly valuable, but not what I was thinking for this.

JUST FWF for those that are still in the construction phase is what I'm really interested in.

Of course there will be all kinds of variance in components, but that's the point...:)

Chad,
One of the best alternative weights I have seen was for the Rotary 20B in Al Gitezen's Velocity. He dynoed the engine prior to install so he had all the parts in place and was able to weigh them before install. IIRC He said the dry engine/psru/prop was 439 pounds and with all fluids 490 ready to rock and roll. He had a large sump with lots of oil so his fluids added a lot. He is using Tracy's PSRU and a Catto prop. Dyno results were 289 HP at 6800 rpm normally aspirated. I was particularly interested since I'm putting a 20B 3 rotor in my RV-10. That compares favorably with a IO540 producing 260 HP at slightly over 500 pounds installed weight, actually probably more as Lycoming says 505 pounds on the web site, and that is without a prop.
Bill Jepson

IIRC He said the dry engine/psru/prop was 439 pounds and with all fluids 490 ready to rock and roll. He had a large sump with lots of oil so his fluids added a lot. He is using Tracy's PSRU and a Catto prop.

Now THIS is the type of info I want for my spreadsheet! :cool::cool: Thanks Bill!

Honest Weights

Because there are so many differant engine lovers out there weights vary. The one that builds with the ( ) engine says it is so good and light. Because nobody confirms this we can only guess. Lycoming employees go to work with only one thing in mind. Build a better AIRCRAFT engine. The automobile employee has only one thing in mind. Build a better car engine.

Engine Weights

Chad,
One of the best alternative weights I have seen was for the Rotary 20B in Al Gitezen's Velocity. He dynoed the engine prior to install so he had all the parts in place and was able to weigh them before install. IIRC He said the dry engine/psru/prop was 439 pounds and with all fluids 490 ready to rock and roll. He had a large sump with lots of oil so his fluids added a lot. He is using Tracy's PSRU and a Catto prop. Dyno results were 289 HP at 6800 rpm normally aspirated. I was particularly interested since I'm putting a 20B 3 rotor in my RV-10. That compares favorably with a IO540 producing 260 HP at slightly over 500 pounds installed weight, actually probably more as Lycoming says 505 pounds on the web site, and that is without a prop.
Bill Jepson

Dear Bill:

I was surprised by the 500/505 lb weight of an IO-540 260HP engine. Based on my research from two different sources it looks more like 395/402 lbs is the range. I great source to look at is at:

http://www.epi-eng.com/aircraft_engine_conversions/additional_weight_considerations.htm

That being said, my buddy is building an RV-10 with a 3 rotor and it will probably come in a little below the numbers for my RV-10 with an IO-540C4B5 and and MT Prop. If his nose wheel weight is a lot less than the norm he may need to add some weight up front to be within a good CG but until he gets to that stage we realy won't know.

Because there are so many differant engine lovers out there weights vary. The one that builds with the ( ) engine says it is so good and light. Because nobody confirms this we can only guess.
That's the freakin' point of this thread...

Lycoming employees go to work with only one thing in mind. Build a better AIRCRAFT engine. The automobile employee has only one thing in mind. Build a better car engine.

WHY DO WE INSIST ON DOING THIS TO THREADS THAT ARE ASKING FOR INFO ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DO YOU HAVE AN INSTALLED WEIGHT FOR YOUR ENGINE? NO? DON'T POST IN THIS THREAD...

I DON'T CARE IF SOMEONE SAYS THEIR ENGINE IS BETTER OR LIGHTER. ALL I WANT TO GATHER ARE WEIGHTS. SIMPLE.

I DON'T CARE WHAT THE LYCOMING EMPLOYEE IS THINKING, AND I DON'T CARE WHAT THE AUTOMOBILE EMPLOYEE IS THINKING.

THIS THREAD ISN'T EVEN A PAGE LONG, AND IT HAS TO SHIFT TO A DEBATE.

I'LL SAY IT ONE MORE TIME...ENGINE WEIGHTS IS ALL I WANT INFO ON.

May be too much to ask I suppose...:rolleyes:

I was surprised by the 500/505 lb weight of an IO-540 260HP engine. Based on my research from two different sources it looks more like 395/402 lbs is the range.

Those are dry weights...re-read the page you linked. Total installed weight of the 260hp 540 including the engine mount is hair under 605lbs...

It seems that the problem with weights is inaccuracy of weighing methods and/or scale inaccuracies. For example, there are guys out there with my airframe, engine and prop, who claim weights 150 pounds less than mine weighed in at (1174). If I took my entire panel and interior out, I would still not get close to their weight. I did paint thickness measurements, so I know that isn't the difference. I don't know if mine was incorrectly weighed heavy or what. Maybe someday I'll weight it again - if the new weight is less, I'll go with it. If it is more, I'll ignore it! ;)

LYC WEIGHTS

Guys,
Reading directly from the Lyc web site the LISTED weights range from,
O-540-B lightest LISTED at 397 pounds. Most lyc weights dont include an alternator, since the engine will run without one. I'm not sure about the starter.
IO-540-AA Heaviest LISTED at 479 pounds.
Those numbers on the LYCOMING WEB SITE all published weights are dry weights.
No slants just the posted facts. Since both engines hold 7 quarts of oil that would add a minimum of 40 pounds so wet weights would have to be at least 450 pounds. The listed weight of the IO-540-AA would be at least 519 wet pounds.
Bill Jepson

Weighted my 4-port Mazda rotary 13B (Renesis 210hp version), with flexplate, pulleys, and lower (aluminum part) intake manifold attached: 201 lbs. w/ crankcase pan full of oil.

I am interested in weights too.

I am interested in alternate engine weights too. Mazda rotary & PSRU compared to Suburu, etc. MORE INFO!

I am interested in alternate engine weights too. Mazda rotary & PSRU compared to Suburu, etc. MORE INFO!

The Real World Solutions (Tracy Crook's) RD-1C redrive weighs 44.5 lbs; this is the 6-planetary heavy duty box with 2.85:1 ratio recommended for the Renesis and turbocharged motors.

Related: The smooth running rotary (and Subaru's) will take the IVO magnum in-flight adjustable propeller that weighs only 24.2 lbs for the 2 blade and 26.7 lbs for the 3 blade for further weight savings.

The Subaru EJ22 long block is 188 lbs. The Marcotte M-300 PSRU is 47 lbs. complete. I'm using the above mentioned 27 lb. 3 blade IVO Magnum with good results on my 6A.

scales?

Anyone know of a cheap way to weigh stuff accurately? I'll be removing my Eggenfellner engine soon, and it would be interesting to weigh things before I remove it, after I remove it, and after I install a lycoming.

Anyone know of a cheap way to weigh stuff accurately? I'll be removing my Eggenfellner engine soon, and it would be interesting to weigh things before I remove it, after I remove it, and after I install a lycoming.

2 bathroom scales with a plank across them. One wheel at a time, with plane leveled.

And stand on each scale for a comparison. Perhaps even three or four, and take the two that are closest. :)

L.Adamson -- RV6A

bathroom scales

2 bathroom scales with a plank across them. One wheel at a time, with plane leveled.

And stand on each scale for a comparison. Perhaps even three or four, and take the two that are closest. :)

L.Adamson -- RV6A
Tried this, but all the digital bathroom scales in the house require a bit of calibration time with no weight, and then they time out about 10 seconds after the weight is applied. I'm not even sure the old mechanical dial type scales are even sold any longer - perhaps I can find some at a 2nd hand shop.

I'm starting to understand why we don't have a lot of data points on engine weights.

Dry, Wet, Prop, Mount, Accesories, starter, alternator?

I'm building my powerplant right onto the airframe, so I have no idea what any of it weighs...:confused:
I expect it to be a little heavy, because I'm a marine engineer, so parts are probably overbuilt, even though I know it's a weakness.
I'm using the aft battery. That's bad in it's self, because the extra cable adds weight.
EAA326 has a set of electronic scales so we get really good weight and ballance data, I'm counting on that for final safe operation.
The result is that I might not ever know what the actual engine weight is...not that it matters as long as all the important criteria are met.
For this topic:
1) aircraft empty weight
2) weight and ballance
I can't see a useful table being compiled for this thread. All of the individual builders' who provide valid weights can't comply with any standard. We are all at different phases of building. I would have to take mine off the airframe to weigh it. Even then, how much of it should I weigh, and how does that compare to a Lycoming or any other powerplant? What constitutes 'all up weight'?
Some have the dry weight of the block, some with the oil in the pan and part of an intake manifold that they will end up re-designing. One has a freshly dyno'd engine with prop attached (very good!) but not the mount or coolers or ducting or hoses or control assemblies as they fit to the airframe.
I'm not opposed to this list at all, it's a great topic, but even then the info presented requires a lot of interpretation!

Even then, how much of it should I weigh, and how does that compare to a Lycoming or any other powerplant? What constitutes 'all up weight'?
Umm...everything??? That's the point I'm trying to make here. All up weight, is ALL UP WEIGHT. All fluids, all hoses, all lines. Everything. Prop, yep, engine mount, yep, remote oil cooler? Yep. Got an alternative? Include the PSRU, coolant, radiator...everything. FWF weight is what I'd like to know. Eggenfellner says the IO-360 he took off his 6A weighed 415 pounds FWF. His FWF weight of the H6 was supposed to be 420 pounds. This is the example that I'm trying to emulate. FWF weight if we're to compare apples to apples. Weight is the apple, not the different types of engines. If we can swap a Lyc for a Sube, rotary, or Chevy, that weight swap is apples to apples.
I'm not opposed to this list at all, it's a great topic, but even then the info presented requires a lot of interpretation!
I don't see why this seems so hard. You won't be able to participate because you are already installing stuff. Guys that haven't started this yet can certainly provide good info. Mickey is pulling his STi for a Lyc. He is a PERFECT example of how we can get accurate numbers. I won't be able to post a number for a LONG time, but I am going to keep track, and I'll have a number at the end.

This won't happen overnight, and I won't be able to compile a good database even in the next year or more, but there's time...

:)

Scales are available

Guys,
My Eaa chapter (663 LIVERMORE CA.) bought some car scales with load cells that will handle 75 to 1500 pounds each you get 4 sender plates and connectors and a digital readout. I actually purchased the scales myself at a car racing shop. Longacre is the company that sells the scales. we payed $1200 for ours. You use 3 of the 4 plates for a plane, works perfectly. There are many configurations. We require people to be chapter members to use the scales. We have had several people join the chapter just to use the scales! These are a great way to get accurate W&B. Strongly suggested for parts as well.
Bill Jepson

Umm...everything??? That's the point I'm trying to make here. All up weight, is ALL UP WEIGHT. All fluids, all hoses, all lines. Everything. Prop, yep, engine mount, yep, remote oil cooler? Yep. Got an alternative? Include the PSRU, coolant, radiator...everything. FWF weight is what I'd like to know. Eggenfellner says the IO-360 he took off his 6A weighed 415 pounds FWF. His FWF weight of the H6 was supposed to be 420 pounds. This is the example that I'm trying to emulate. FWF weight if we're to compare apples to apples. Weight is the apple, not the different types of engines. If we can swap a Lyc for a Sube, rotary, or Chevy, that weight swap is apples to apples.

I don't see why this seems so hard. . .
Chad, your request for information is in the same vain that I have been trying to explore for my decisions on engine choices also. I like most everyone else cannot get a full straight answer from any engine manufacturer or any builder for that matter. As important as it is to know what the weight of your FWF build is, no one seems to have an ability to provide accurate comparison information on weights.

The information I want to know is this:
If a builder looks at their stainless steel firewall that is attached to their longerons and fuselage skins, what does EVERYTHING that gets attached to that firewall weigh? Do not leave anything out. Everything that is forward of that stainless steel has weight (mass actually) that will affect the flight of my airplane. I want to know what it all weighs, clear down to the amount of oil in the case and the water in the radiator (if a water cooled engine)!

So even though a Lycoming or Continental engine could run without an alternator or a starter the reality is that none of our RV's do. So lets here how much it weighs with those items. How much do those spark plug wires weigh? What about the oil cooler, the belts, the pulleys, the instrument wires run from the engine back to the engine monitoring equipment. All of these and everything else that you may have put on that plane needs to be included in a weight analysis of what it takes for your airplane to fly. List it and tell us what it weighs.

This is the type of information I am interested in knowing about.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]This is what Id like to see- (example from Tracy Crook's website.)
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]"Here is the breakdown of system weights in my airplane. This list is a bit out of date because it does not reflect many changes I have made (like the EFI system) but will give you a good idea of what you can expect.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Mazda 13B Engine Core[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]180 lbs. (incl. water pump)[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]RD-1B[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]42 lbs.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Starter (RX-7)[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]7.5 lbs.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Alternator (Mazda 70Amp)[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]9 lbs.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Evaporator Cores (Qty. 2)[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]7 lbs. (total)[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Oil Cooler (stock Mazda)[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]8 lbs.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Intake Manifold + fuel rails[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]8 lbs.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Coolant (7 qts.)[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]14 lbs.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Ignition Coil Assys.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]2.5 lbs.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Total Engine Weight[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]278 lbs.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Exhaust System[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]8 lbs.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Engine Submount[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]7 lbs.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Main Engine Mount (Modified RV-4)[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]15 lbs.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Brackets, Hoses, et. al.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]5 lbs.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Oil (6 qts.)[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]12 lbs.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Total Installed Weight[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]325 lbs. (Firewall Forward)[/FONT][/FONT]"

Wet Weight for LS2

According to Bud Warren's web site, his LS1 and psru "wet weight" is 493 pounds. I presume that everybody knows that "wet weight" is all inclusive.
I'm going to Oshkosh in three weeks and I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing all the different engine combinations. I'm gonna ask Bud if that includes the engine mount in the 493 figure. :cool:

I weighed my LS6 here with no starter, no flywheel, no exhaust manifolds at 380 lbs. GM says fully dressed with flex plate, starter, headers, alternator- 457 lbs.

Again we have to wonder what is included in the 493 lb. figure. If the basic long block is 380 and we add 75 for PSRU and flywheel, that gives us 455, leaving only 38 for exhaust, alternator, starter, rad, coolant. Sounds a tad optimistic to me.

Todd, how was the C of G/ nose wheel weight and total aircraft weight on your RV10?

NSI/MPS Subaru EJ 25 Package

The following might be a bit of a guide to how a reasonable "engine" weight can translate into a heavy installation.

Bare NSI EJ25 (no alternator, throttle body, flywheel or hoses but includes oil, manifolds, EFI rail and breather tubing) 185.2 lbs

Engine mount and firewall forward assembly (not front gear leg but includes 1.5 gal header tank, 2 x facet lift pumps, 1 EFI pump, two coil packs, two isolation modules, radiator with plenum chamber and all hoses, oil heat exchanger and hoses, full wiring harness including firewall connectors and two electric radiator fans with controller). 78 lbs

Flywheel and bolts. 10.4 lbs

Alternator. 8.8 lbs

Throttle body, rubber boot and air filter 3.5 lbs

Gearbox, starter and extended prop flange. 49.6 lbs

Prop (2 blade electric adjustable 72" by Whirlwind) 30 lbs

Exhaust assembly including O2 sensor and header wrap 18.3 lbs

7.2 litres of coolant for system. 15.9 lbs

About 1.5 gal gas in header tank. 9 lbs.

Battery (positioned on tray in FWF assembly). 11.7 lbs

A second EFI pump and a gascolator with drain mounted directly to firewall and a firewall blanket and "exit air" rounded fairing. Estimated 10 lbs

Total FWF weight excluding gear leg, fairings, cowl and spinner 430.4 lbs

Makes you wonder how much weight is on the front gear leg but am about to check this soon.

Rupert Clarke
RV-9A 140 hrs.

weight of LS6

Ross, isn't the LS6 a bigger engine? LS1 is only 5.3 liters if I remember correctly. That may account for a few pounds of difference. Also the aftermarket headers will be a lot lighter than the factory headers.
In another vein.... you gonna exhibit SDS products at Oshkosh?

I weighed my LS6 here with no starter, no flywheel, no exhaust manifolds at 380 lbs. GM says fully dressed with flex plate, starter, headers, alternator- 457 lbs.

Again we have to wonder what is included in the 493 lb. figure. If the basic long block is 380 and we add 75 for PSRU and flywheel, that gives us 455, leaving only 38 for exhaust, alternator, starter, rad, coolant. Sounds a tad optimistic to me.

Todd, how was the C of G/ nose wheel weight and total aircraft weight on your RV10?

Still haven't weighed it! My building partner has been extremely busy with work and I have my master bath torn apart!

Ross, isn't the LS6 a bigger engine? LS1 is only 5.3 liters if I remember correctly. That may account for a few pounds of difference. Also the aftermarket headers will be a lot lighter than the factory headers.
In another vein.... you gonna exhibit SDS products at Oshkosh?

The LS6 is 5.7L, same as the LS1 and it has cast iron manifolds rather than the stainless headers OE on the LS1.

Not going to Oshkosh this year. Maybe sometime when the -10 is done. Reno is my usual aviation destination. I'll be there this year assisting Mike Dacey with his Venture in Super Sport again. He'll be running our EFI/EI this year and we expect great things (375+ mph laps). The NXTs better watch out!:D

Todd, get that bathroom done!:)

Engine Weights

To answer Chad's question on our units.
All Cast iron Chevrolet 4.3L V-6 With drive unit, starter, alternator and brackets, water pump, belt, distributor and wiring, oil filter, and thermostat.
Strain gage, computer balance unit 414 lbs
Chatillon spring scale and chain, 414 lbs
By using Aluminum heads 40 lbs can be saved at a cost of 0 too much $2000.00
An alumiunum block can save up to 70 lbs. The cast iron engine is the best for cost and performance. It puts the CG in the center of Van's design on the 6A and 6. Two 1/2 hour flights with climbs to 6000 with light acro and back for a total of 6.3 gallons. Can't be beat.

engine component weights

I checked the Vesta V-8 site and they list the following weights for engine and components:
LS2 348 lbs
starter 11 lbs
baffling 7 lbs.
PSRU 68 lbs
alternator 11 lbs
intercooler 9 lbs.
fans 10 lbs.
radiator 25 lbs
computer 5 lbs
exhaust 12 lbs
flywheel 14 lbs
belts and pulleys 5 lbs
fuel pump 5 lbs.
total 530 lbs and I didn't see any coolant listed

I checked the Vesta V-8 site and they list the following weights for engine and components:
LS2 348 lbs
starter 11 lbs
baffling 7 lbs.
PSRU 68 lbs
alternator 11 lbs
intercooler 9 lbs.
fans 10 lbs.
radiator 25 lbs
computer 5 lbs
exhaust 12 lbs
flywheel 14 lbs
belts and pulleys 5 lbs
fuel pump 5 lbs.
total 530 lbs and I didn't see any coolant listed

I think I ended up with about 30 lbs of coolant. I think the exhaust weighs more than 12 lbs. The engine mount probably weighs more than Vans. The prop is about 6 inches further forward than the IO-540. This is my guess from looking at pictures of other RV-10. My plane is supposed to be weighed on Wednesday. Any guesses on the weight? My guess is 1728. I have AC, I used about 30-40 tubes of sealant on the plane, BMA EFIS/One, a supercharger, and a bunch of extra junk.

Last edited:
My guess is 1790 but I hope you are closer. Will be interesting. Looks great BTW.

Last edited:
My guess is 1790 but I hope you are closer. Will be interesting. Looks great BTW.

Well we were both wrong by hundreds! 2053!!!!!!! I have a nice two seater!
I can blame some of it on the engine but I also have to take the blame with my excessive anti-corrosion coverage. AAARRRRGGGHHHH! The good news is a have a very light family. Really can only take out the supercharger and AC but I am not willing to part with the AC. Less fuel and increase useful some.

Weighed my engine today...

At work today, we set up the certified scale to weigh my engine. The scale is the "slide" type of scale, and was certified in March of this year. I wanted this to be as safe as possible for the engine, and wanted to prevent scratching of the freshly painted and finished engine, so I weighed it on the palette. I first weighed the palette by itself. It came in at a whopping 76 pounds! Then we lowered the engine in place, and bolted it down, then weighed the whole thing.

The setup...
8-22-08-001w.jpg

The disk weights at 300 pounds...
8-22-08-002w.jpg

And the slide weight at 16 pounds...
8-22-08-003w.jpg

As you can see (and do math), the engine less the palette weight is an even 240 pounds with NO accessories, but with two quarts of preservative oil, and an oil filter in place.

I will weigh each accessory as it goes on the engine to get a total at the end.

240 pounds starting weight.

That is pretty good. My EJ22 weighed exactly 200 lbs. with the same stuff you have on your engine. Add the 47 lb. PSRU and I'm already a bit more.

I just read where David Algie weighed his bare LS1 at 367 lbs. which agrees very closely with my LS6 at 373.

You've crossed to the dark side Chad, the force will no longer be with you.;)

Looks nice and shiny- but what are those red things with all those fins? Something doesn't seem right to me...:rolleyes:

Seriously, I think you made a good decision and hope you get flying next year.:)

Aircraft Weights...

I just discovered this site and although it doesn't list discrete FWF weights it does give some general weight data of the various RV models with various engine types... http://www.rvproject.com/wab/

After looking over this data I am curious how my RV-9A will compare when completed with a 13B installation. Hopefully less than 1080 lbs...

Doug Lomheim
90116; FWF, etc.

Back