What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Harness Latch Type

Which harness latch system do you like most? What color?

• Latch & Link $

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Cam Lock $$

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • Grey on my two tone grey upholstery

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Black on my two tone grey upholstery

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Brantel

Well Known Member
I am trying to decide if I want Latch and Link or Cam Lock latches on my Crow's I am about to order.

What is your preference and if you can, please tell me what you like or dislike about the ones you are familiar with.

There is a $100 difference for the set in the two methods so I want to make sure the Cam Lock is worth it! :D

Also, since I am color stupid, please tell me what color you would use with two tone Grey (and Maroon highlight) upholsery from Flightline Interiors...

Here is what I am planing either with latch and link or cam lock:

2" Y shoulder harnesses, 1/4" bolt in type, pull down to tighten, customized in length for a big dude in a RV7
2" lap belt, 1/4" bolt in type, pull up to tighten, customized for a big dude in a RV7, I think that is 55"
2" crotch strap, 1/4" bolt in type
Sewn in shoulder pads

Fred from Crow quoted $140 each for the Cam lock and $89.95 for the latch and link. (the pads are $20 each set)

Last edited:
I had the Latch and Link style in my RV-8

Very easy to use (though most people who had never seen it before didn't figure it out).

No way would I pay an extra hundred dollars for the Cam style.

Just my 0.02

Try using both (before buying)... and you'll never wanna use latch+link again (at least, that's how I feel). I think Crow's camlocks are reasonably priced... approx $250 for a pair is pretty good considering other options...but then we've been groomed for "aviation prices"

Brian,
I bought Crow harnesses with camlocks virtually identical to what you have with the exception that I went with 3" lap belts. We ended up getting black, since I have gray seats with granite accents. I've got quite a bit of time with each latching mechanism. My personal preference is camlocs as they allow you to easily remove the shoulder tangs, when not needed (ie at cruise). Another reason I went with camlocs is for the passengers. I believe it is easier for them to buckle up and remove the tangs with a camlock, then it is to assemble the other type of latch. Either way you can't go wrong with Crow harnesses, they are first rate.

camlocks

I used camlocks in my 9A, and I like them, but...the stick hits them when I pull the elevator full aft...Take a look at your stick travel, and spare tire!! I opted to lose 10 pounds instead of buying new harnesses!!

ATB...Chris

Back