What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sad News To Report (crash)

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
********************************************************************************
** Report created 8/23/2005 Record 2 **
********************************************************************************

IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: 505DF Make/Model: RV8 Description: RV-8
Date: 08/21/2005 Time: 1530

Event Type: Accident Highest Injury: Fatal Mid Air: N Missing: N
Damage: Unknown

DESCRIPTION
ACFT CRASHED UNDER UNKNOWN CIRCUMSTANCES, THE ONE PERSON ON BOARD WAS
FATALLY INJURED, MENOMONIE, WI

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 1
# Crew: 1 Fat: 1 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Pass: 0 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

WEATHER: NOT REPORTED

OTHER DATA

Departed: Dep Date: Dep. Time:
Destination: Flt Plan: Wx Briefing:
Last Radio Cont:
Last Clearance:

FAA FSDO: MILWAUKEE, WI (GL13) Entry date: 08/22/2005

Google has some links to news articles:
http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=&q=MENOMONIE+crash

My sincere condolences to the family.

Doug

How in hell can an RV-8 lose a right wing, even during a "roll maneuver" following takeoff?

I didn't see anything about loosing a wing. Witnesses said they saw the right wing dive toward the ground. I read this as the airplane being in a diving, right bank.
Mel...DAR

"Witnesses saw the plane?s right wing dive toward the ground and disappear into a cornfield."

Mel,
You might be correct- the sentance was not worded very well- did the wing or plane disappear into a cornfield?

Eyewitness and media

cobra said:
How in hell can an RV-8 lose a right wing, even during a "roll maneuver" following takeoff?
Yea I think it is wording, diving right into...., but the factory RV-8 did have an in-flight wing failure, however it was from over load. You are right rolling is not a high G maneuver. However when it comes to eyewitness and media reporting on an aircraft accident there usually leaves a lot to desire. G

gmcjetpilot said:
.... However when it comes to eyewitness and media reporting on an aircraft accident there usually leaves a lot to desire. G

You got that right - The news is right only about 50% of the time in my experience. As an example, we had a Vari-EZ go down on final here at Brown Field when he hit his wingman. The news didnt even mention that - and showed security camera footage of a shadow of an RV (we were having an RV flyin at the time) going over - claiming it to be the Rutan going down.

It seems crashes are happening daily for some reason recently. Between commercial and private there have been several just in the last few weeks. I lost a good friend in Florida Saturday when his Citabria crashed shortly after take-off. He was a retired air traffic controller. He was a very careful and cautious pilot. He had a passenger with him at the time. Both were killed. His wife also a retired controller and pilot witnessed the crash. The newspaper account said he was showing the paggenger some real estate he had for sale when the crashed happened. Who knows for sure. This person started flying when he was 14 years old on a 1200 foot farm strip. He was 63 when he died. It sure makes you doubt your own abilities when someone you respect as a pilot loses his life that way.

Jim Wright RV-9A wings

too many crashes

We had three crashes this weekend in Switzerland.

Two guys got caught by downdrafts or turbulence mountain flying (one Czech registered Cessna 172 with 4 people, all perished) and one canard from Denmark - pilot is in bad shape.

The third was a guy I had met, St?phane Haug, who built a 3/4 scale Spitfire. Outstanding aircraft, which you may have seen in one of the EAA magazines. He was flying at an airshow, low and fast, but we're not sure what happened yet. He was a really nice guy.

StephaneHaugSpitfire.jpg

Crash

How sad this happened. The roll on TO again? Let's all pledge to never, ever do this and keep our acro up at a safe elevation. The low altitude roll is so much different than the easy casual one at altitude - don't even think about it without careful training and extensive paractice. Prayers for pilot, family and co owners. Bill

Back